• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Post Match Manly v Warriors - [Round 24, 2024]

Sea Eagles vs Warriors

Sea Eagles

24 - 10

MATCH COMPLETE

4 Pines Park

16 Aug 2024

Warriors

Match Stats

Sea Eagles Warriors
4 Tries 2
4 / 5 Conversions 1 / 2
0/0 Field Goals 0/0
0/0 2P Field Goals 0/0
4 Try Assists 2
Sea Eagles Warriors
53% Possession 47%
9 / 35 Set Completion 10 / 35
38 Time in Opposition Half 62
1325 Metres Gained 1343
2 Dropouts 1
3 Dummy Half Runs 3
23 / 752 Kicks/Kick Metres 20 / 508
1 40/20 0
0 20/40 0
1 Offloads 7
0 1 on 1 Steals 1
7 Line Breaks 2
7 Line Break Assists 2
17 Support Play 15
Sea Eagles Warriors
9 / 35 Set Completion 10 / 35
7 Penalties (Conceded) 7
3 Set Restarts 8
10 Errors 9

Player Stats

# Sea Eagles T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
1 T. Trbojevic 1 4 2 1 5 0 3 0 0 25 0 0 0m 148m 2 0
2 J. Saab 1 4 0 4 4 0 3 0 0 16 0 1 25m 148m 0 0
3 T. Talau 0 0 1 1 4 0 7 4 0 12 0 0 0m 101m 1 0
4 R. Garrick 1 12 0 0 0 0 15 3 0 16 0 0 0m 83m 0 1
5 L. Hopoate 1 4 0 1 3 0 1 2 0 20 1 0 0m 142m 2 0
6 L. Brooks 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 2 0 28 0 12 512m 33m 1 0
7 D. Cherry-Evans 0 0 1 0 0 1 18 0 0 20 1 9 160m 13m 0 1
8 T. Paseka 0 0 0 0 0 0 17 1 0 13 0 0 0m 107m 1 0
9 L. Croker 0 0 0 0 0 0 24 3 0 2 1 1 55m 2m 0 0
10 J. Aloiai 0 0 0 0 0 0 12 0 0 9 0 0 0m 69m 0 1
11 H. Olakau'atu 0 0 0 0 1 0 15 2 0 16 0 0 0m 151m 1 2
15 B. Trbojevic 0 0 0 0 1 0 22 4 0 10 0 0 0m 76m 0 0
13 J. Trbojevic 0 0 0 0 0 0 30 3 0 7 0 0 0m 45m 0 1
14 G. Chan Kum Tong 0 0 0 0 0 0 11 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0
16 E. Bullemor 0 0 0 0 0 0 15 0 0 8 0 0 0m 58m 2 0
17 N. Brown 0 0 0 0 0 0 16 0 0 14 0 0 0m 91m 0 1
18 T. Koula 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 1 0 7 0 0 0m 58m 0 0
19 T. Sipley 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0
# Warriors T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
1 C. Nicoll-Klokstad 0 0 1 0 3 3 5 0 0 25 1 0 0m 190m 0 0
2 D. Watene-Zelezniak 1 4 0 1 5 2 5 3 0 19 0 0 0m 170m 0 0
3 A. Pompey 0 0 0 0 2 0 11 0 0 11 0 0 0m 81m 1 0
4 R. Tuivasa-Sheck 0 0 0 0 7 1 10 2 0 14 0 0 0m 127m 1 1
5 M. Montoya 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 3 0 12 0 0 0m 78m 0 0
21 L. Metcalf 0 2 0 0 0 0 14 1 0 13 0 4 63m 51m 1 1
7 S. Johnson 1 4 0 1 1 0 11 2 0 29 0 14 385m 3m 3 0
8 A. Fonua-Blake 0 0 1 0 2 1 30 1 0 14 0 0 0m 132m 0 0
14 F. Lussick 0 0 0 0 0 0 31 0 0 2 2 0 0m 14m 0 0
10 M. Barnett 0 0 0 0 0 0 30 1 0 12 0 0 0m 96m 0 0
11 M. Niukore 0 0 0 0 2 0 19 3 0 6 0 0 0m 45m 0 1
12 K. Capewell 0 0 0 0 1 0 30 0 0 13 0 0 0m 131m 1 1
13 D. Walker 0 0 0 0 1 0 25 3 0 12 0 0 0m 69m 1 0
6 C. Harris-Tavita 0 0 0 0 0 0 11 0 0 1 0 1 52m 0m 0 1
15 T. Ale 0 0 0 0 0 0 11 1 0 11 0 0 0m 78m 0 0
16 J. Tevaga 0 0 0 0 1 0 14 2 0 6 0 1 8m 43m 1 0
17 D. Sifakula 0 0 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 4 0 0 0m 35m 0 1
20 T. Tuaupiki 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

Rate the game?

• Total voters
I understand Roger is not the strike weapon we may have thought he’d be, but he’s hardly the reason we’re not playing well. I’ve seen approx 30% of games where the halves are passing the ball to Roger in space, this is where he excels. Not in the tight stuff. He’s also the 1st or 2nd player putting their hand up to get us out of trouble & consistently puts up high run metres, post contact metres & has minimal errors.

It’s the job of the halves to put Roger in space. They’ve failed to do this. Our middles have laid the platform, our backs have got us out of trouble, yet our halves continually fail to execute when we need them.

What is the role of halves? Under pressure, nail the right pass, put us in the right places on the field, put other players into space & set up tries with deceptive and well executed set plays.

The microscope is on our halves, not Roger. Let’s be clear about that. Another pre season under webby, and I’d expect to see a more polished RTS (IF the halves execute on THEIR role, and create space for one of the best game breaking centres in the comp).

I'm not an RTS fan but yes he needs the ball in space to do what he does best. But I don't think that even then he'd be a good centre. He's a fullback.
But I do have to agree with your take on the halves role. And that's something sadly has been a thing for 30 years. We have very seldom had really good halves. Like top class halves. Greg Alexander and James Maloney come to mind but apart from them we've had a good half in Stacey Jones and a couple of what might have beens that ran hot and cold. No wonder we struggle

NZWarriors.com
So just some clarity on Roger.
These are his statistics with reference to the entire competition:

Post contact metres: 11th
Tackle breaks: 15th
All runs: 21st
Run metres: 12th

He’s not in the top 50 for negative plays (errors, penalties).

This is a guy who was away from the game for a number of years with 1 pre season under his belt. When valentine holmes returned from the NFL on $1 million dollars, he was a flop. So much so, his guaranteed fullback jersey was taken from him & he was moved to centre. RTS is older, and putting up better numbers CURRENTLY.

I understand Roger is not the strike weapon we may have thought he’d be, but he’s hardly the reason we’re not playing well. I’ve seen approx 30% of games where the halves are passing the ball to Roger in space, this is where he excels. Not in the tight stuff. He’s also the 1st or 2nd player putting their hand up to get us out of trouble & consistently puts up high run metres, post contact metres & has minimal errors.

It’s the job of the halves to put Roger in space. They’ve failed to do this. Our middles have laid the platform, our backs have got us out of trouble, yet our halves continually fail to execute when we need them.

What is the role of halves? Under pressure, nail the right pass, put us in the right places on the field, put other players into space & set up tries with deceptive and well executed set plays.

The microscope is on our halves, not Roger. Let’s be clear about that. Another pre season under webby, and I’d expect to see a more polished RTS (IF the halves execute on THEIR role, and create space for one of the best game breaking centres in the comp).
Another pre season won’t change anything except he’ll be a year older and a year slower. I’m sure there’s no intent, however he plays for himself not the team and it’s been that way for years.

I thought round 6 would tell us if he was a hit but he played as a Mr fix it all over the back line.

So I thought round 12. But nope he hadn't figured it out. At his age and speed I only see him as a back up fullback. Nowhere else on the field unless he wants to become a forward with Pompey and Ed Kosi...... that's supposed to be a sarcastic joke about the size shape and lack of speed in our backline
What baffles me is the lack of analysis of why he failed so miserably playing 2nd five in rugby. He can’t read the game in that position nor pass. If Webby was half as smart as we all think, then surely some pre-homework should have gone watching him during his rugby tenor to see why the AB’s didn’t want him. It should have been a red flag 🚩 instead we all ignored it and recruited on pure reputation with zero homework on his skill set for the position

He’s a sunk cost now but much better then Montoya or DWZ on the wing so that’s his spot to lose next year

What baffles me is the lack of analysis of why he failed so miserably playing 2nd five in rugby. He can’t read the game in that position nor pass. If Webby was half as smart as we all think, then surely some pre-homework should have gone watching him during his rugby tenor to see why the AB’s didn’t want him. It should have been a red flag 🚩 instead we all ignored it and recruited on pure reputation with zero homework on his skill set for the position

He’s a sunk cost now but much better then Montoya or DWZ on the wing so that’s his spot to lose next year
Yeah it’s one of the great mysteries as to why these supposed experts in the game can’t see what is so blatantly obvious. The bloke who was convinced he would make a good 2nd five in rugby & was instrumental in sorting the funding for him to make the switch is a really smart man - who’s had involvement at the Warriors as well in a previous era. I have no idea what he thought he saw in RTS. It’s all quite strange.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Yeah it’s one of the great mysteries as to why these supposed experts in the game can’t see what is so blatantly obvious. The bloke who was convinced he would make a good 2nd five in rugby & was instrumental in sorting the funding for him to make the switch is a really smart man - who’s had involvement at the Warriors as well in a previous era. I have no idea what he thought he saw in RTS. It’s all quite strange.

Fullback you have plenty of space. You hardly make tackles. It’s all about roaming and picking the ball up off the ground. Or catching the ball from kicks. Or jumping in the line when you want

Centre it’s the complete opposite. You literally have zero space, you have to make a ton of tackles, split second decisions will make or break a move. You need size to bust the line. You don’t need to catch. Your job is to link and connect with the inside and outside man. RTS can’t do any of this at elite level because these are not the traits of a Fullbsck

Found this an excellent and emotional read. Had a poor game yesterday and easy to forget what he’s done in the game but sad to hear he was booed off at halftime yesterday. You’d never know from his constant smile he’s wearing. Crazy to think the score yesterday was the same as that final all those years ago upon his arrival. Welling up writing this. Sad to see the team looking so disconnected in what are the final games of his playing career

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

Found this an excellent and emotional read. Had a poor game yesterday and easy to forget what he’s done in the game but sad to hear he was booed off at halftime yesterday. You’d never know from his constant smile he’s wearing. Crazy to think the score yesterday was the same as that final all those years ago upon his arrival. Welling up writing this. Sad to see the team looking so disconnected in what are the final games of his playing career
Manly fans should have been cheering him off the way he played.

Be nice to win one more game this year
Beat the Bulldogs
Send Sj off

If you watch the video of him being booed then it won’t worry you, he was loving it.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Love it. Mt smart is going to be crazy, noticed him mutter to himself in the last home game he played when he ran onto a packed stadium. Don’t think it’s all wasted on him, he’s soaking it up
I’m a bit gutted I won’t be at the game and if I’d realised at the Eels game that it was the last time I was going to see him play live then there’s no way I would have left with 10 minutes to play!

I’m a bit gutted I won’t be at the game and if I’d realised at the Eels game that it was the last time I was going to see him play live then there’s no way I would have left with 10 minutes to play!
I would say you’re not alone and many likely did the same. Reminiscent of Thurston with that year too long but who could blame either of them continuing after the season they’d produced the year before. Sad it’s going to end like this for him. Was the first time I’ve seen Webster look visibly frustrated with him when he dropped that ball hot on attack, sadly was just one instance. Although he’s smiling, I’d say his confidence is shot

I thought it was a given post match threads are generally an over reaction......hence i dont tend to pay too much attention to the over dramatic...... particulary 5 minutes after a loss ;)
True, it's sad that we had to lose, but hats the way it was, sad to see some bagging on sj, I really wanted him to take on the line at least a couple of times and take a couple of tackles to lull the d and give his supporting runners a chance, to put the d in two minds, as we say "hei aha" not meant to be. I really liked afb (very powerful - he is un-replaceable)and lussick had a good game in the driving rain passing from dummy half, his tackling was way up there, also the back 3 gave it their all, in fact the whole team too, they didn't fold. I won't give up on them, as dory ( the blue fish) says "keep on swimming, swimming" etc. - go the mighty Warriors!!!, the bloody ab's better win tonight!!!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I would say you’re not alone and many likely did the same. Reminiscent of Thurston with that year too long but who could blame either of them continuing after the season they’d produced the year before. Sad it’s going to end like this for him. Was the first time I’ve seen Webster look visibly frustrated with him when he dropped that ball hot on attack, sadly was just one instance. Although he’s smiling, I’d say his confidence is shot
I couldn’t bring myself to get angry when he dropped those balls, threw a couple of shit passes & missed the in goal with his short kicking game last night. The season is over so I’m just enjoying watching him play his last few games. I’m targeting (quite clearly) my frustration elsewhere.

I disagree. I’m hugely onboard with those saying what JFH will bring off the field is as valuable as on it. I am of the belief that AFB is the best prop in the game at present and because of that I have concerns about how his behaviour might rub off on players like Sifakula or Halasima who are sharing the field witnessing this behaviour. Last night after a Metcalf dropped ball he slammed the ball down in disgust while the rest of the team went over to pick him up. I can understand AFB’s frustration but that’s not a leader in my eyes. Barnett has been putting up consistent numbers like AFB but isn’t like a prima donna. I was of the opinion before that he’s going to leave a massive void but in watching Ale taking his opportunity and Sifakula almost a clone with his late footwork, I’m really optimistic of what JFH’s guidance can have. We’ve still got Zyon Maiu’u who isn’t progressing as fast, but certainly progressing and TSS also just behind

Probably a combination of his wife dissing the team, while he gave his all to get up field and Jazz then Luke dropping the ball like that. I don’t think Luke’s one is that bad see how Brooks dropped it cold from kick off. It’s a lottery. But ya AFB should have kept it in but I think it’s home issues plus losing games

SJ needs to fuck off. Call it a quad injury, call it whatever you want, the guy is done. We haven't won with him since round 5 for fuck sake. 8 losses and a draw with him since then.

The second half was some of the most uninspired, insipid football I've seen. No direction, no leadership, no variation.

Some people on here seem to think we owe him something or he’s some kind of legend for being paid millions to play mediocre for so many years.

Cool he was fast, yay, and he did some cool things occasionally but don’t forget the minute we said he wasn’t going to be paid a $1million dollers a season for being average he fucked off to the sharks and then only came back after they told he could fuck off.

The guys just very well PR and media trained unlike some other players but he’s not a bleed and die for the club player some are making him out to be.

Super soft, super mediocre and can fuck off like you said.

Some people on here seem to think we owe him something or he’s some kind of legend for being paid millions to play mediocre for so many years.

Cool he was fast, yay, and he did some cool things occasionally but don’t forget the minute we said he wasn’t going to be paid a $1million dollers a season for being average he fucked off to the sharks and then only came back after they told he could fuck off.

The guys just very well PR and media trained unlike some other players but he’s not a bleed and die for the club player some are making him out to be.

Super soft, super mediocre and can fuck off like you said.
Opinions and assholes or something, maybe it was assholes with opinions.

I forget how it goes...

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back