Pick Your Team Cowboys v Warriors - Round 14, 2024 PICK YOUR TEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting to see nsw in origin with McInnes starting and Yeo off the bench to see how it works. Would be similar for us with Walker starting and Tohu off the bench
will also be interesting to see if there is a significant improvement with Tohu rested and recovered vs previously. Will potentially answer the question about whether he was just busted or whether he indeed needs to consider life after football, as has been previously suggested.

I would go with this but replace Tohu with Walker in the starting lineup and use Tohu to cover prop and the back row positions from the bench.
I like this, or even Tohu to prop and Barney to replace Ford. I just think what I put is what Webby will go with.

With these last two wins against all odds, does SJ on $700k start to look a bit less appealing? Been great bang for buck on his previous contract but does the pay bump seem less of a good deal for the Warriors? Not doubting he’s a great player but if injuries mean you’re limited training all the time, is that good for the team? Was happening last season too

Shaun Johnson is an ageing plane that will eventually run out of runway, it does not matter how deep your love of the bloke is, there is in the future, a point coming where the time space continuum ages this blokes body beyond a level where you should be paying him to play for you.

My dream is that he ends up being a Terry Lamb figure (one of the longest serving players in competition history).

So my concerns around SJ are less about what he earns and more about hoping the Warriors know when he is done.
Which is why I was relieved when they put him on annual contract extensions.

More importantly the last two games with TMM at seven have proved that we have a future post SJ that the club should be chasing.

TMM should be the guy now, and SJ the spare part old Vet they use to insulate the new line up. I say that while agreeing SJ is still a special player, but that won't and cannot last forever, it should be now used as an Ace in the hole while the Club sets up a different halfback, the future halfback, in his stead.

Every great NRL club since Wayne Bennett sacked Alan Langer has transitioned someone else into the shoes of a club legend before it was forced upon them.

Langer btw came back from being fired to win the SOO. Which is why we should keep SJ around till he is a cripple.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see nsw in origin with McInnes starting and Yeo off the bench to see how it works. Would be similar for us with Walker starting and Tohu off the bench
Lets face it. if the coach deems Harris as fit enough then he will be starting at 13.
If he is too crippled then I wouldn't have him any where near the 17.
He is not a bench forward for me under any circumstances.
If he has recovered well enough and has regained more mobility then I am happy to support him as starting 13.
But he shouldn't play 80 unless he has somehow miraculously turned back the clock 3 years.
You can take him off and replace with Walker and he can return at some stage in the second half in the front row if required.

Lets face it. if the coach deems Harris as fit enough then he will be starting at 13.
If he has recovered well enough and has regained more mobility then I am happy to support him as starting 13.
But he shouldn't play 80 unless he has somehow miraculously turned back the clock 3 years.
You can take him off and replace with Walker and he can return at some stage in the second half in the front row if required.
It happened last year and worked well. Depends on the oppo & how they play their game & how we want to counter/ contain, attack/ defend within our overall game plan.
Having rotation and cover in our forwards is good.

Don’t understand your logic

What’s the difference between starting and playing 20mins vs coming on after 20mins when players are starting to feel the pinch and using Tohu to exploit that weakness?

There are tens of thousands of SJ Troglodytes reading this and going wtf? SJ is god end of discussion.

I would point them in the direction of Stacey Jones'es last year.

Shaun Johnson is an ageing plane that will eventually run out of runway, it does not matter how deep your love of the bloke is, there is in the future, a point coming where the time space continuum ages this blokes body beyond a level where you should be paying him to play for you.

My dream is that he ends up being a Terry Lamb figure (one of the longest serving players in competition history).

So my concerns around SJ are less about what he earns and more about hoping the Warriors know when he is done.
Which is why I was relieved when they put him on annual contract extensions.

More importantly the last two games with TMM at seven have proved that we have a future post SJ that the club should be chasing.

TMM should be the guy now, and SJ the spare part old Vet they use to insulate the new line up. I say that while agreeing SJ is still a special player, but that won't and cannot last forever, it should be now used as an Ace in the hole while the Club sets up a different halfback, the future halfback, in his stead.

Every great NRL club since Wayne Bennett sacked Alan Langer has transitioned someone else into the shoes of a club legend before it was forced upon them.

Langer btw came back from being fired to win the SOO. Which is why we should keep SJ around till he is a cripple.

My view is if TMM takes the 7 role, essentially the dull, dirty and dangerous part then SJ can have time to count numbers and plot plays, run when able while at the same time extending his time at the top.

SJ can play 3 rest 1 like a MLB pitcher or wheeled out against big teams and rest against mid/bottom teams especially if CHT is fit to play 6 to do the long kickings, unless SJ's calves suddenly defies gravity and becomes 25 again

Or if Webby is into play your best teams against lower teams and go meh against big teams, then it's the other way around

Don’t understand your logic

What’s the difference between starting and playing 20mins vs coming on after 20mins when players are starting to feel the pinch and using Tohu to exploit
Great question.
A peak Tohu plays 80.
But so far in 24 his commitment and willingness is there but the body suspect and IMO best served in the early exchanges going hard.

Great question.
A peak Tohu plays 80.
But so far in 24 his commitment and willingness is there but the body suspect and IMO best served in the early exchanges going hard.
If I were coach I would also transition Tohu to an impact bench player. However it is complex as he is captain and the captain needs to start and ideally play 80. So therefore I seem him continuing to play 80.

If I were coach I would also transition Tohu to an impact bench player. However it is complex as he is captain and the captain needs to start and ideally play 80. So therefore I seem him continuing to play 80.
Not necessarily. Captain, whether right or wrong, is not just on the field. The job is huge these days. Egan, Walker, Barnett standing up is part of the leadership scenario. As long as all of them are on the same page and stepping up the 'captain' position on the field is a moot point.
Guess thats why they have no 'leadership' group per se. There's leadership required depending on the game, not any title.

Reactions: CWC
Captains can use injuries as a reason to come off the bench……Same Cane fiasco was quite weird as he only lasted 60 minutes most games

Or they could have a “co-captain”…this is more politics than actual game play

When Tohu was winning the VB hard earned index was he faster and stronger at tackles?

Captains can use injuries as a reason to come off the bench……Same Cane fiasco was quite weird as he only lasted 60 minutes most games

Or they could have a “co-captain”…this is more politics than actual game play

When Tohu was winning the VB hard earned index was he faster and stronger at tackles?
Not sure about any of it or what the best arrangement is but found this interesting for perspective. Worth a read regardless...

Not sure about any of it or what the best arrangement is but found this interesting for perspective. Worth a read regardless...

It’s weird Tohu’s being captain for a few years now and we finally have success since ‘23, might be hitting a wall maybe need a break to refresh, or maybe time to pass the captain’s responsibility and be a full time player

It’s weird Tohu’s being captain for a few years now and we finally have success since ‘23, might be hitting a wall maybe need a break to refresh, or maybe time to pass the captain’s responsibility and be a full time player
Can't really count the covid time imo but yeah, last year was ok. This year the short turnarounds and injuries took a toll on the team. Don't think a captain is responsible for that. but agree, would like to see how he goes without the extras.
Liked the Barnett onfield captaincy model in regards to upping the ante and effort of the team (Steve Price-like) and it actually complements/ adds to the tactical nous of Tohu, Egan & SJ...back to my point re all being leaders.
Get the roles right on and off the field would help the whole team and individual performances.
🤣 when did it get so complicated lol. Maybe its not. Maybe like you said, let Tohu just play footy?

So good to have the cavalry back this week
Assuming Mitch doesn’t play on Wednesday my team looks like this:

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. Pompey
5. Montoya
6. TMM
7. SJ
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Ford
12. Capewell
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Tevaga
16. Niukore
17. CHT

18. Afoa

Mitch to bench if he plays origin with Niukore starting at prop.

Man - if we play to our potential and stay healthy from here on in we could go places with this team…. It just looks so much better balanced with Niukore, Walker and a firing Jazz off the bench - way more versatility for the coaches to work with and CHT covers half, hooker and most of the back line…

We HAVE to beat the Cows. Defence will do that against them as they have no ability to tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back