General Warriors General News

IMG_7789.jpeg

Very surprised by this. I am not an expert on game day experience at Mt Smart having only been once - but this seems a very, very odd decision given how iconic the drummers are to the Warriors club (and that is from a fan not based in Auckland). Sure, heaps of other clubs have dance troupes at their game day experience, but we are not other clubs.
For mine, this is the first disappointing decision out of the club for some time...
stink!

Very surprised by this. I am not an expert on game day experience at Mt Smart having only been once - but this seems a very, very odd decision given how iconic the drummers are to the Warriors club (and that is from a fan not based in Auckland). Sure, heaps of other clubs have dance troupes at their game day experience, but we are not other clubs.
For mine, this is the first disappointing decision out of the club for some time...
The drums aren't really a point of difference any more other than being live. Which is the only reason I'd keep them, but I've always said they'd be on a tight leash as to when and for how long they can drum. A rugby league game isn't a drumming festival in the same way that while you might have some sport at a drumming festival, that's not the focus. Also, I'd be ditching any non-New Zealand music and actually, where possible, have pre-game or post-game or maybe even both concerts in the Super Top.

Not taken by the idea of a dancing troupe (still reckon my two favourite crowd comments ever at the Warriors are a woman yelling out "Start a fight! Win something!" when we were playing shithouse once, I know that hasn't happened more than once or twice over our existance but the date eludes me and some guy yelling out one game, just as The Player Girls were being introduced, "The Crack Whores!") but as I tend to avoid taking my seat until the last minute, don't think it'll ruin my experience much if at all.

Dance troupe is probably code for Cheerleaders.
I feel for the Drummers. Poor form by the club, they could have found a new role for them. Playing as the players run on the field and as the crowds walk in and out of the stadium.

I love what the game day team have done so far, so I guess I will have to give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but yeah, they didn't have to sideline the drummers completely.

Those Kuki drums are what makes the Warriors unique, that and the Powhiri, it shows the rest of the competition when you come to Auckland you in a Polynesian city...the biggest in the world.

A few old coots will be happy I spose, ironically that will include most of the Anti Wahs brigade.

Perhaps the crowd will now find their voice more and we can have the yelling and screaming every single other totally lacking identity sporting event has around the world.

Dance troupe is probably code for Cheerleaders.
I feel for the Drummers. Poor form by the club, they could have found a new role for them. Playing as the players run on the field and as the crowds walk in and out of the stadium.

I love what the game day team have done so far, so I guess I will have to give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but yeah, they didn't have to sideline the drummers completely.

Those Kuki drums are what makes the Warriors unique, that and the Powhiri, it shows the rest of the competition when you come to Auckland you in a Polynesian city...the biggest in the world.

A few old coots will be happy I spose, ironically that will include most of the Anti Wahs brigade.

Perhaps the crowd will now find their voice more and we can have the yelling and screaming every single other totally lacking identity sporting event has around the world.
Didn't the drummers also go off during crucial game time moments for the warriors iirc to pump them and the crowd up. This move makes zero sense to me, can't be financial surely as they would've demanded f all budget in the Grand scheme of things.

i love the drums, and am sad that they’re gone. I also feel like we always did something bad when they played them midgame lol. They use the drum sounds in their social media videos as a tag sometimes, I wonder if they’ll keep doing that. It’s such an iconic sound with the Warriors brand, shame to see it go.

I do not like the sound of dancers. I like all kinds of dance, but it’s always weird and out of place at sports matches. Maybe it’ll appeal to some certain demographics and will help sell out stadiums more regularly, and if so I understand and am alright with it.

Warriors have been hitting it out of the park recently with game day experience so I’ll trust them. One thing I hate though is the music played during breaks are creeping way too close into matches, often still playing after the games restarted, and they try to fit the music into gaps too short.

First L in a while.

The warriors are fortunate to have a very knowledgeable and invested crowd, they don’t really need to cater to casuals with cheerleaders, kids dance troupes, whatever, they’ll come when they are winning and won’t when they aren’t. Shame to throw away tradition
Notice the storm seem to have drums at their home games these days too.

Good segment so far (12mins in), but I think having G Lowe on was a mistake. He always sounds bitter.
I thought so at first too but then found the contrast between him and Webby enlightening. Lowe had to make some concessions even though he tried to hang on to his old school mentality - had some ok thoughts about what it takes, but showed he's stuck in the past and Webbysway 😊 is the future.

Tonight 730pm
Channel 1
Call me a cynic but I found it a bit painful tbh. Webby, CG and Tohu came across well. Lowey has had his time and people forget the damage he did to the club years ago, so feel he should publicly keep quiet on the club these days.

Warriors segment on 1news if you missed out on the video.

I loved the response to "What impact has Shaun Johnson had on the Warriors?", "What impact did the meteor have on the dinosaurs?" is an all-time line, though I am biased.. 🦖

Back