General Warriors General News

Just been talking to a guy who has worked out at Auckland Airport for over thirty years. He's seen hundreds of sports teams go through the airport and he says, even after a loss, he hasn't seen a team that seems to enjoy being together as much as the current Warriors team since the early 2000's Anderson coached sides.

Why league is winning the war over rugby: Chris Rattue’s Winners and Losers​

Winner: League over rugby

On one hand, Moana Pasifika coach and All Blacks legend Tana Umaga is right in expressing his fears for the future of rugby, responding to poor crowd numbers that reflect a general disinterest in Super Rugby.

On the other hand, people like Umaga should have been speaking out, really strongly, many years ago.

Rugby is falling apart. The horse has bolted.

Some of the problems are unavoidable - New Zealand’s small economy and isolation are just about insurmountable for a sport that produces so many great players in demand elsewhere.

And what goes around comes around, as New Zealand rugby is treated similarly to the way we have dealt with the Pacific Islands.

Other issues are entirely of rugby’s making - they range from the continual tampering with the overly complex rules to its arrogant and aloof behaviour.

The core issue is this: all successful professional sports are based on clubs that operate independently and are hellbent on beating each other.

In contrast, New Zealand rugby has turned itself into branch offices and All Blacks reserve grade.

It deserves to fail - and it is doing so. And when the Warriors take off to their full potential, as they are in the throes of doing, rugby will be obliterated by the NRL. Nothing is more certain.

The problems will compound.

I suspect the All Blacks’ test and World Cup success will become so important yet difficult to achieve that star players will assume all-powerful positions. This will enable them to - as Ardie Savea has called for - play for overseas clubs and remain test-eligible.

(A key factor might be the arrival of more aggressive player managers to argue the case.)

The big question for the domestic scene is this: will the NRL decide to put another league club in New Zealand, or leave the Warriors to sweep through the nation?

It’s a tough call.

NRL: How former Wallabies coach Dave Rennie saved the Warriors from cultural oblivion​

While the Warriors are enjoying a reign as New Zealand’s premier professional sporting team, things could have been so much different were it not for the help of a former Wallabies coach.

In 2021, as the Kiwi side played out their second season of a Covid-enforced exile in Australia, the Warriors season ended with an implosion.

With nothing to play for, the Warriors lost all composure, let in eight tries without scoring, and most embarrassingly saw the trio of Kane Evans, Matt Lodge and Jazz Tevaga sent to the sin bin for an on-field brawl against the Gold Coast Titans.

Something was seriously wrong at the club. This was a team without a home, and most importantly, without an identity, representing a loyal fanbase that had backed them without any tangible reward through a global pandemic.

Warriors chief executive Cameron George makes no bones of the fact it was the lowest moment of his career.

“It indicated to me [that] we’d lost everything,” he told the Herald. “We’d lost our way.

“We just needed help. It wasn’t an authentic Warriors culture.

“I had to make a decision. How quickly can we get something to put in place? What is that something to put in place to save the club?”

With no certainty over the Warriors’ future, and with all signs pointing to a third straight season stuck in Australia, something needed to change.

However, that help wasn’t far away.

In late 2021, Kiwi Dave Rennie was in charge of the Wallabies, after pulling out of the race to succeed Sir Steve Hansen as head coach of the All Blacks.

History will show a torrid time for Rennie in Australia, before his firing at the start of 2023 - even if his replacement Eddie Jones fared much worse.

However, his success with the Chiefs in Super Rugby and dominance at Under-20 level with New Zealand’s “Baby Blacks” proved Rennie’s methods were exceptional.

And after being given a steer in the right direction, George wasted no time in sounding out Rennie to help forge an identity from which the Warriors could form a new, needed, culture.

“He was unbelievable in terms of being so welcoming to the opportunity to speak to him,” George said of Rennie.

“It was the best thing I ever did. He helped me navigate through that time, and then develop a plan around how to pull the culture back together, and create the identity we needed.

“One of the questions I asked him - he was coach of the Wallabies at the time, who, like us, have multiple cultures within it while representing in his case a country - [was] how does he do it?

“He was so open and transparent on his experiences, what has worked, what hasn’t worked, why certain things would work for the Warriors.

“It is, without doubt, probably the turning point to creating a pathway forward for our identity.

“To this day, all because of that discussion, we have an amazing culture internally that we share, players and staff are so attached to, and it’s relevant to us every day.”

While Rennie had no experience in rugby league or the NRL, his situation wasn’t dissimilar to what George and the Warriors were going through.

Like the Warriors, he too was stuck in Australia, away from his loved ones in order to do his job.

And that understanding, with his own experiences in tow, forged a connection between Rennie and George that helped put the Warriors on the right path.

“He was so supportive and considerate. He was really spot on with his advice, and really caring about the advice he was offering.

“Not only on that day, he was there after checking in.

“He didn’t tell me how to do it, but he just gave me confidence that if I wanted to do it, these are some of the lessons he’s learned, and what he’s achieved by doing these things.

“He gave me a clear - I suppose - manual of difficult circumstances from his experience, on how to get through it. It created a lot of what we stand for now, and how we got through it.”

But while Rennie’s advice and guidance was welcome, it wasn’t a quick fix.

The Warriors continued to play out 2022 based in Australia and endured one of the worst seasons in the club’s history.

On the field, the Warriors finished second-from-bottom on the NRL ladder, with just six wins from 24 games.

Off the field, coach Nathan Brown, star player Reece Walsh, and the likes of Lodge and edge forward Euan Aitken all decided they wanted out of the club, with none wanting to relocate to New Zealand.

Slowly but surely, though, the Warriors began to reshape the club for the future.

The capture of Andrew Webster as head coach from 2023 has proven to be a masterstroke, evidenced by re-signing him for a further three years after just one season.

Meanwhile, the additions of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Te Maire Martin added more of a Kiwi feel to the club’s roster.

And even with the Warriors unable to convince some Australian players of the value of living in New Zealand, the likes of Mitchell Barnett and Jackson Ford haven’t taken a backwards step since their respective moves across the Tasman.

Most importantly, though, when the Warriors returned to Mt Smart and notched a 22-2 victory over the Wests Tigers, a capacity crowd showed the club had a supporter base to build on. Once the Warriors were able to return home for good, everything was in place for the success seen in 2024 and beyond.

“We’re so unique to other clubs, we’re a special culture in New Zealand,” said George. “The Warriors are just so different.

“We had players playing for us who’d never played at our home base, never connected to our homeland and what we stood for and so on.

“Everything Dave was telling me wasn’t going to be a lightbulb moment that happened overnight. It was about putting things in place that could gradually get better at, underpinned for when we got home.

“All those things we talked about and put in place, when we got home permanently, all started to matter, all started to take place, it made me understand more and more how right he was.

“But it wasn’t until we were going to get home that we could get home and really benefit from it. It was never going to happen overnight.

“It wasn’t until we got home that we were able to really lock it in and start to build strongly on it and represent it.”

Since then, just about everything the Warriors touch turns to gold.

Last year saw the club return to the NRL finals for the first time since 2018.

In his first year, Webster led the Warriors to a top-four finish, with 16 regular-season wins and another semifinal thrashing of the Newcastle Knights in the post-season for good measure. His success was recognised with the NRL’s Dally M coach of the year award.

Shaun Johnson came within a single point of winning the same honour as a player, but ultimately lost out to Kalyn Ponga.

And to show things aren’t slowing down at Mt Smart any time soon, the Warriors have just stunned the NRL by capturing Kiwis captain and arguably the best prop in the game, James Fisher-Harris, who’ll arrive on a four-year deal in 2025.

As the first-grade side continues to make waves in the NRL, with sell-out after sell-out at Mt Smart, the club’s Under-17 side have reached the final of their Harold Matthews Cup competition, in a sign that success can continue into the future.

While rugby union has history as New Zealand’s sporting code, rugby league is taking steps to make sure it has the future.

But while Rennie himself has moved on to coach in Japan with the Kobe Steelers, George would waste no time in welcoming him back to the club - but it won’t be in any kind of coaching role.

“I can tell you, this door is always open for Dave to come in here to have a beer or a coffee, or be around our club,” George concluded.

NRL: How former Wallabies coach Dave Rennie saved the Warriors from cultural oblivion​

While the Warriors are enjoying a reign as New Zealand’s premier professional sporting team, things could have been so much different were it not for the help of a former Wallabies coach.

In 2021, as the Kiwi side played out their second season of a Covid-enforced exile in Australia, the Warriors season ended with an implosion.

With nothing to play for, the Warriors lost all composure, let in eight tries without scoring, and most embarrassingly saw the trio of Kane Evans, Matt Lodge and Jazz Tevaga sent to the sin bin for an on-field brawl against the Gold Coast Titans.

Something was seriously wrong at the club. This was a team without a home, and most importantly, without an identity, representing a loyal fanbase that had backed them without any tangible reward through a global pandemic.

Warriors chief executive Cameron George makes no bones of the fact it was the lowest moment of his career.

“It indicated to me [that] we’d lost everything,” he told the Herald. “We’d lost our way.

“We just needed help. It wasn’t an authentic Warriors culture.

“I had to make a decision. How quickly can we get something to put in place? What is that something to put in place to save the club?”

With no certainty over the Warriors’ future, and with all signs pointing to a third straight season stuck in Australia, something needed to change.

However, that help wasn’t far away.

In late 2021, Kiwi Dave Rennie was in charge of the Wallabies, after pulling out of the race to succeed Sir Steve Hansen as head coach of the All Blacks.

History will show a torrid time for Rennie in Australia, before his firing at the start of 2023 - even if his replacement Eddie Jones fared much worse.

However, his success with the Chiefs in Super Rugby and dominance at Under-20 level with New Zealand’s “Baby Blacks” proved Rennie’s methods were exceptional.

And after being given a steer in the right direction, George wasted no time in sounding out Rennie to help forge an identity from which the Warriors could form a new, needed, culture.

“He was unbelievable in terms of being so welcoming to the opportunity to speak to him,” George said of Rennie.

“It was the best thing I ever did. He helped me navigate through that time, and then develop a plan around how to pull the culture back together, and create the identity we needed.

“One of the questions I asked him - he was coach of the Wallabies at the time, who, like us, have multiple cultures within it while representing in his case a country - [was] how does he do it?

“He was so open and transparent on his experiences, what has worked, what hasn’t worked, why certain things would work for the Warriors.

“It is, without doubt, probably the turning point to creating a pathway forward for our identity.

“To this day, all because of that discussion, we have an amazing culture internally that we share, players and staff are so attached to, and it’s relevant to us every day.”

While Rennie had no experience in rugby league or the NRL, his situation wasn’t dissimilar to what George and the Warriors were going through.

Like the Warriors, he too was stuck in Australia, away from his loved ones in order to do his job.

And that understanding, with his own experiences in tow, forged a connection between Rennie and George that helped put the Warriors on the right path.

“He was so supportive and considerate. He was really spot on with his advice, and really caring about the advice he was offering.

“Not only on that day, he was there after checking in.

“He didn’t tell me how to do it, but he just gave me confidence that if I wanted to do it, these are some of the lessons he’s learned, and what he’s achieved by doing these things.

“He gave me a clear - I suppose - manual of difficult circumstances from his experience, on how to get through it. It created a lot of what we stand for now, and how we got through it.”

But while Rennie’s advice and guidance was welcome, it wasn’t a quick fix.

The Warriors continued to play out 2022 based in Australia and endured one of the worst seasons in the club’s history.

On the field, the Warriors finished second-from-bottom on the NRL ladder, with just six wins from 24 games.

Off the field, coach Nathan Brown, star player Reece Walsh, and the likes of Lodge and edge forward Euan Aitken all decided they wanted out of the club, with none wanting to relocate to New Zealand.

Slowly but surely, though, the Warriors began to reshape the club for the future.

The capture of Andrew Webster as head coach from 2023 has proven to be a masterstroke, evidenced by re-signing him for a further three years after just one season.

Meanwhile, the additions of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Te Maire Martin added more of a Kiwi feel to the club’s roster.

And even with the Warriors unable to convince some Australian players of the value of living in New Zealand, the likes of Mitchell Barnett and Jackson Ford haven’t taken a backwards step since their respective moves across the Tasman.

Most importantly, though, when the Warriors returned to Mt Smart and notched a 22-2 victory over the Wests Tigers, a capacity crowd showed the club had a supporter base to build on. Once the Warriors were able to return home for good, everything was in place for the success seen in 2024 and beyond.

“We’re so unique to other clubs, we’re a special culture in New Zealand,” said George. “The Warriors are just so different.

“We had players playing for us who’d never played at our home base, never connected to our homeland and what we stood for and so on.

“Everything Dave was telling me wasn’t going to be a lightbulb moment that happened overnight. It was about putting things in place that could gradually get better at, underpinned for when we got home.

“All those things we talked about and put in place, when we got home permanently, all started to matter, all started to take place, it made me understand more and more how right he was.

“But it wasn’t until we were going to get home that we could get home and really benefit from it. It was never going to happen overnight.

“It wasn’t until we got home that we were able to really lock it in and start to build strongly on it and represent it.”

Since then, just about everything the Warriors touch turns to gold.

Last year saw the club return to the NRL finals for the first time since 2018.

In his first year, Webster led the Warriors to a top-four finish, with 16 regular-season wins and another semifinal thrashing of the Newcastle Knights in the post-season for good measure. His success was recognised with the NRL’s Dally M coach of the year award.

Shaun Johnson came within a single point of winning the same honour as a player, but ultimately lost out to Kalyn Ponga.

And to show things aren’t slowing down at Mt Smart any time soon, the Warriors have just stunned the NRL by capturing Kiwis captain and arguably the best prop in the game, James Fisher-Harris, who’ll arrive on a four-year deal in 2025.

As the first-grade side continues to make waves in the NRL, with sell-out after sell-out at Mt Smart, the club’s Under-17 side have reached the final of their Harold Matthews Cup competition, in a sign that success can continue into the future.

While rugby union has history as New Zealand’s sporting code, rugby league is taking steps to make sure it has the future.

But while Rennie himself has moved on to coach in Japan with the Kobe Steelers, George would waste no time in welcoming him back to the club - but it won’t be in any kind of coaching role.

“I can tell you, this door is always open for Dave to come in here to have a beer or a coffee, or be around our club,” George concluded.

If Bruce Bruce was irritated with the idea that Watson saved the Warriors, he'd be truly angry at the thought that Rennie helped save the Warriors ;)

Not sure where to post this. I loved watching Terry back in the day. Very sad news.​

Terry Hill dead, aged 52: Tributes flow after sudden death of rugby league icon​

The rugby league community has been rocked by the sudden death of NRL, NSW Origin and Kangaroos icon, Terry Hill. Read the touching tributes.
Dean Ritchie and Phil Rothfield

3 min read
April 24, 2024 - 4:22PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

41 comments

Terry Hill has sadly passed away.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Former NSW and Australian centre Terry Hill has died in the Philippines, aged 52.
It is understood he passed away from a heart attack.
A rugged centre with a colourful background, Hill had been spending more time in the Philippines during recent years.
He was married to a Philippines local and travelled back and forth between Asia and Sydney.
Hill’s family have been notified of his death. He worked in the markets and lived in Homebush.
He played 246 first grade games for Souths, Easts, Wests, Manly and Wests Tigers between 1990 and 2003.
Manly will wear black armbands against Parramatta at Brookvale this Friday night in honour of Hill.
Hill famously, and successfully, fought against the introduction of a rugby league draft in 1991 after wanting to play Wests but being forced to Easts.
“He was a typical kid from Erskineville,” said former Souths teammate Craig Coleman.
“Terry was a fantastic South Sydney junior and we looked after him when he came into grade. He was a proud Souths junior.

Life and times of Terry Hill​

timeline0_WD9Z5shHhI.jpg

Jan 22, 1972
Terry Hill is born in Newtown, NSW.

“He was a tremendous footballer. I know his whole family. It’s very sad, devastating.
“He was loved by everyone. He was a good-hearted bloke.”
Newtown-born Hall played four Tests for Australia and 14 State of Origin games for NSW.
Away from the game, Hill was a larrikin who appeared regularly on Channel 9’s Footy Show.
He was also known for being among the game’s best on-field sledgers.
He also did promotional work for Lowes Menswear and was a member of the 1994 Kangaroos which toured England and France.

TRIBUTES FLOW FOR TERRY HILL

Former NRL player David Gillespie was with Hill in the Philippines last week, the pair helping to raise $26,000 for a local orphanage.
“I was with Terry only last week,” Gillespie said. “He was usual self, the life of the party.
“Terry was fine and had everyone in stitches at the fundraiser. His death is sudden, unexpected and incredibly sad. He was a very generous person.
“As a player, Terry was relentless, tough and uncompromising. He would give it and take it.”
Manly CEO Tony Mestrov added: “Terry is a legend of the Manly club and will be sadly missed by the club and our fans.
1992-93-Western-Suburbs_MzxHgCHnX.jpg

1992-93 NSWRL Western Suburbs​

1995-Winfield-Cup-Manly-vs-St-George_9PhYy4D38V.jpg

1995 Winfield Cup Manly vs St George​

1995 State of Origin​

1995 Centenary World Cup Australia vs Fiji​

1996 Grand final win vs St George​

1999 State of Origin. Terry Hill vs Gorden Tallis​

2001 NRL Tigers vs Roosters​

2005 NRL Manly vs Penrith​

“He had plenty of personality which endeared him to a lot of people.”
Ex-Wests teammate Paul Langmack was deeply saddened at Hill’s death.
“Terry was very energetic and loved to sledge on the field,” Langmack said.
“He was a tough competitor. He had a great career.”
Former Manly player and official Peter Peters said: “Terry was a tremendous competitor and one of the best sledgers ever in the game.
“But it never deterred from the standard he reached in just about every game he played.”
Former 2GB work colleague, Darryl Brohman posted: “Terry was a larrikin but deep-down a good guy.”
Geoff Toovey captained Hill in the club’s 1996 premiership victory.
“Terry was a great player for Manly,’’ Toovey told Manly’s website.
“He was a good friend. He did a lot of good things for his team-mates. My sincere condolences to his family.”

HILL’S SECOND LOVE

The NSW Greyhound Racing industry expressed its shock and sadness following the news of Terry Hill’s sudden passing.
Terry was extremely passionate about his greyhounds, as an owner and a major supporter of the sport.
“Greyhound Racing NSW (GRNSW), and in fact the entire greyhound racing community, is
deeply saddened today by this tragic news of the passing of Terry Hill,” GRNSW Chief
Executive Officer Rob Macaulay said.
“Terry was one of the great assets of the greyhound industry. He has been a lifelong
supporter of greyhound racing, has owned some wonderful champion greyhounds along the
way, and more importantly, his passion for the sport was infectious.
NRL great Terry Hill at the track. Picture: Facebook

“Terry had great enthusiasm for greyhound racing and was responsible for helping the sport
to attract widespread media coverage in the 1990s with his live television crosses to Dapto
on a Thursday night during the Channel Nine Footy Show to watch his greyhound Nads
race.
“Years later Terry said he would be stopped on The Corso at Manly not to be asked about
his football career, but to chat about Nads and the racetrack he loved, Dapto.
“Only last year Terry gave of his time to be on hand at Dapto to help GRNSW promote the
Group 1 Megastar at that venue.
“On behalf of GRNSW and the entire greyhound community in NSW, I offer our deepest
condolences to Terry’s family and his enormous group of friends.
“Terry Hill will be sorely missed.”

Reactions: kos

Not sure where to post this. I loved watching Terry back in the day. Very sad news.​

Terry Hill dead, aged 52: Tributes flow after sudden death of rugby league icon​

The rugby league community has been rocked by the sudden death of NRL, NSW Origin and Kangaroos icon, Terry Hill. Read the touching tributes.

3 min read

41 comments

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Former NSW and Australian centre Terry Hill has died in the Philippines, aged 52.
A rugged centre with a colourful background, Hill had been spending more time in the Philippines during recent years.
He was married to a Philippines local and travelled back and forth between Asia and Sydney.
Hill’s family have been notified of his death. He worked in the markets and lived in Homebush.
He played 246 first grade games for Souths, Easts, Wests, Manly and Wests Tigers between 1990 and 2003.
Manly will wear black armbands against Parramatta at Brookvale this Friday night in honour of Hill.
Hill famously, and successfully, fought against the introduction of a rugby league draft in 1991 after wanting to play Wests but being forced to Easts.
“He was a typical kid from Erskineville,” said former Souths teammate Craig Coleman.
“Terry was a fantastic South Sydney junior and we looked after him when he came into grade. He was a proud Souths junior.

timeline0_WD9Z5shHhI.jpg

Jan 22, 1972

“He was a tremendous footballer. I know his whole family. It’s very sad, devastating.
Newtown-born Hall played four Tests for Australia and 14 State of Origin games for NSW.
Away from the game, Hill was a larrikin who appeared regularly on Channel 9’s Footy Show.
He also did promotional work for Lowes Menswear and was a member of the 1994 Kangaroos which toured England and France.

Former NRL player David Gillespie was with Hill in the Philippines last week, the pair helping to raise $26,000 for a local orphanage.
“I was with Terry only last week,” Gillespie said. “He was usual self, the life of the party.
“Terry was fine and had everyone in stitches at the fundraiser. His death is sudden, unexpected and incredibly sad. He was a very generous person.
“As a player, Terry was relentless, tough and uncompromising. He would give it and take it.”
Manly CEO Tony Mestrov added: “Terry is a legend of the Manly club and will be sadly missed by the club and our fans.

1995 State of Origin​

Former Manly player and official Peter Peters said: “Terry was a tremendous competitor and one of the best sledgers ever in the game.
“But it never deterred from the standard he reached in just about every game he played.”
Former 2GB work colleague, Darryl Brohman posted: “Terry was a larrikin but deep-down a good guy.”
“He was a good friend. He did a lot of good things for his team-mates. My sincere condolences to his family.”

HILL’S SECOND LOVE

The NSW Greyhound Racing industry expressed its shock and sadness following the news of Terry Hill’s sudden passing.
Terry was extremely passionate about his greyhounds, as an owner and a major supporter of the sport.
“Greyhound Racing NSW (GRNSW), and in fact the entire greyhound racing community, is
deeply saddened today by this tragic news of the passing of Terry Hill,” GRNSW Chief
“Terry was one of the great assets of the greyhound industry. He has been a lifelong
supporter of greyhound racing, has owned some wonderful champion greyhounds along the

“Terry had great enthusiasm for greyhound racing and was responsible for helping the sport
to attract widespread media coverage in the 1990s with his live television crosses to Dapto
on a Thursday night during the Channel Nine Footy Show to watch his greyhound Nads
race.
“Years later Terry said he would be stopped on The Corso at Manly not to be asked about
“Only last year Terry gave of his time to be on hand at Dapto to help GRNSW promote the
“On behalf of GRNSW and the entire greyhound community in NSW, I offer our deepest

3 min read

41 comments

NRL

Follow

timeline0_WD9Z5shHhI.jpg

Jan 22, 1972

I remember watching the Footy Show back in the day and the guys raced a greyhound named Nads and they often showed it racing live on the show.
They would be cheering "Gonads ".
The dog won a few races and they had a lot of fun 😀

1995 State of Origin​

HILL’S SECOND LOVE

race.

Reactions: kos
Back