Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
To be fair if some Wahs member pays for their kids to be at the game to witness that, they deserve to be overreacting afterwards

View attachment 7931

PS I was a German supporter at the time so didn't have to go through what the kid went through in 2014 lol
Not disagreeing with you mate. We've all been on the over-hyped train. But we're sposed to be the adults.
I get the call for changes, some misplaced, some warranted, but the swings in the rhetoric of some borders on mania.
Whats next? An assault on a player when they go out in public?
Everyone needs to settle down.

I think it’s Sj unfortunately, surely he posts something on insta saying up the boys or something after our awesome 3 game win streak without him. But nothing, he’s always looking angry on field this year and Toni always looks tired and depressed, weighs the team down
Is it possible they are stuck at the table with a deal that SJ is sulking about?

It's so hard to know exactly why, I still believe in webby and hope he can put his big boy pants on.

He has seen what works with Martin and that's okay for the rest of this year, because with half a season with SJ it's been bad, and there is still plenty of footy to go.

Our players are old that are old. But if they were in form that would be fine. We are a misfiring team. Lots of good things. Lots of broken or insufficient things. Such as our best. We can't sustain our best vs anyone for an entire game let alone for an entire season. I know that solves nothing but at least it's another place to start reinventing the wheel.

There seems to be deep disharmony within the squad. Forget even about the performances of late, just look at the body language on the field: AFB blowing-up at someone - perhaps Tohu - when the review was unsuccessful; Egan remonstrating angrily at Walker. More concerning, Michael Burgess today quoted a Warriors supporter on Facebook who was at the match and said he couldn't believe the way the team was sniping at each other behind the posts after the Titans scored their first try.

Something has happened to trigger fractures and this has completely destroyed the resilience that was built during 2023. The players just don't seem to care enough right now to put in that extra effort in to cover for their teammates.

As we've all seen, these issues are most pronounced when the senior players are on the park. Yeah, they're old and slow. But I think this is only half the issue. The more important half is what none of us are privy too.

Webby's in a bind. He went all in this season to win the comp with an aging roster, the addition of two new players on longer deals than they deserve, and the extension of another who is clearly past it. Now he's stuck with them all, unless they walk.

At the same time, his risk averse strategy has meant that he's continued steadfastly with the same out of form players week after week because they're more experienced and might come good at some point. Being such a new head coach, perhaps he's also worried about the repercussions that losing the senior playing group might have on his own future (and with good reason: I was told that rebellions from Warrior senior players in the past resulted in the demise of Matty Elliott and Alex Corvo).

By staying loyal to a fault, Webby has perhaps created more internal friction with the young ambitious players by giving them the slightest taste of NRL (only when forced to through injury), then dumping them after they shine. Zion gets picked for a game off the bench, kills it with high energy and enthusiasm and is dropped. MGT is selected and plays with determination and aggression. He's been smashing it all season in 💙 Mighty NSW Cup. He gets dumped. DWZ is suspended. Who does Webby draw upon? Kosi ... again! The perennial failure at NRL level. Laban shows great potential for someone so young. He's solid every time he gets on the field. Barnett is called up to Origin. Webby ignores him and instead shifts Walker to second row.

It just seems to be such poor player management. All from a guy who prides himself on his people skills.

Webby doesn't drop players. He's Mr Nice Guy. That'll get him so far, until it doesn't. The worse thing for a leader when there's player unrest is to be a nice guy because it generally calls for really tough decisions to be made and people pleasers don't like rocking the boat. When you're winning, you can be everyone's mate. When you're losing, you need to stand up and demand accountability. Montoya said recently that he's never heard Webby give the players a spray. The moment I heard that I knew he was in trouble. Every great coach has a spray or two in them. They have to so that the players understand they aren't the boss.

If nothing else, the massacre from the Titans has unmasked what seemed to be percolating just below the surface all season. I hope Webby finds something in him this week to get to the bottom of it all.

There seems to be deep disharmony within the squad. Forget even about the performances of late, just look at the body language on the field: AFB blowing-up at someone - perhaps Tohu - when the review was unsuccessful; Egan remonstrating angrily at Walker. More concerning, Michael Burgess today quoted a Warriors supporter on Facebook who was at the match and said he couldn't believe the way the team was sniping at each other behind the posts after the Titans scored their first try.

Something has happened to trigger fractures and this has completely destroyed the resilience that was built during 2023. The players just don't seem to care enough right now to put in that extra effort in to cover for their teammates.

As we've all seen, these issues are most pronounced when the senior players are on the park. Yeah, they're old and slow. But I think this is only half the issue. The more important half is what none of us are privy too.

Webby's in a bind. He went all in this season to win the comp with an aging roster, the addition of two new players on longer deals than they deserve, and the extension of another who is clearly past it. Now he's stuck with them all, unless they walk.

At the same time, his risk averse strategy has meant that he's continued steadfastly with the same out of form players week after week because they're more experienced and might come good at some point. Being such a new head coach, perhaps he's also worried about the repercussions that losing the senior playing group might have on his own future (and with good reason: I was told that rebellions from Warrior senior players in the past resulted in the demise of Matty Elliott and Alex Corvo).

By staying loyal to a fault, Webby has perhaps created more internal friction with the young ambitious players by giving them the slightest taste of NRL (only when forced to through injury), then dumping them after they shine. Zion gets picked for a game off the bench, kills it with high energy and enthusiasm and is dropped. MGT is selected and plays with determination and aggression. He's been smashing it all season in 💙 Mighty NSW Cup. He gets dumped. DWZ is suspended. Who does Webby draw upon? Kosi ... again! The perennial failure at NRL level. Laban shows great potential for someone so young. He's solid every time he gets on the field. Barnett is called up to Origin. Webby ignores him and instead shifts Walker to second row.

It just seems to be such poor player management. All from a guy who prides himself on his people skills.

Webby doesn't drop players. He's Mr Nice Guy. That'll get him so far, until it doesn't. The worse thing for a leader when there's player unrest is to be a nice guy because it generally calls for really tough decisions to be made and people pleasers don't like rocking the boat. When you're winning, you can be everyone's mate. When you're losing, you need to stand up and demand accountability. Montoya said recently that he's never heard Webby give the players a spray. The moment I heard that I knew he was in trouble. Every great coach has a spray or two in them. They have to so that the players understand they aren't the boss.

If nothing else, the massacre from the Titans has unmasked what seemed to be percolating just below the surface all season. I hope Webby finds something in him this week to get to the bottom of it all.
I’ve seen reports that he certainly gave them a spray at halftime with it being heard. The worry is they dished up just as poorer second half

Some baffling decisions have been made for sure. I'm interested in who AW has as a sounding board and/or who has his ear in the club and playing group. It also seems to me that there was none of this bickering over the three game run where it looked to me like you had big Barney leading the way and Walker, TMM and Jazz supporting. The template for any success for this year has been shown IMO. Whether AW wants to or can go through with that remains to be seen

Some baffling decisions have been made for sure. I'm interested in who AW has as a sounding board and/or who has his ear in the club and playing group. It also seems to me that there was none of this bickering over the three game run where it looked to me like you had big Barney leading the way and Walker, TMM and Jazz supporting. The template for any success for this year has been shown IMO. Whether AW wants to or can go through with that remains to be seen
I just don’t see that happening with Barnett there and think his omission could have been detrimental to attitudes anyway

I always look forward to reading your posts mate, you are very articulate in your writing

Why can’t Webby see what the rest of us can.
Wests were the blueprint yesterday.
Actually the blueprint is us v Penrith, Dolphins and Cowboys with our depleted squad.
We were forced to alter our game plan, play some ad lib , eyes up football which worked.
I know it’s all been said.
Rigid game plan.
The use of the bench.
The use of Walker.
Father Time has crept up on a few.
A few others are just not quite good enough to hang your hat on but are good back up in a strong squad.
It’s been said on here that Webby is aiming for the title this year as you would but the players he was relying on are the ones hamstringing us now.

The two sports I follow are NRL (rugby league) and NHL (ice hockey), I've noticed lately a huge difference in the way the games are coached on the fly.

The setup is easier in hockey; the coach is standing behind the team, the players rotate constantly, they can also call a timeout (usually used for a team talk to try and change momentum). Teams start with 4 forward lines and 3 defence pairings, but a coach will juggle these lines during a game, and sit players out completely if they need to. These coaches seem way more on top of a game, constantly reacting to what's in front of them.

In comparison rugby league coaches are sitting up in a box miles away, and have just one chance at half time to address the full team. Our coaches seem to have predetermined ideas about processes or gameplans or whatever, and the team can't go off this script. It also seems like interchanges are part of these plans and only ever change for injuries, rather than reading the game and reacting to what's needed on the field, or as a way to change in momentum.

Some of the better teams have players who can analyse a game and react accordingly. If one of the opposition is limping or struggling to get into position on the right side, how likely are we to shift that way and target them? I'd say there's a 99% chance the bomb will still go up on the other side as per usual.

I guess what I'm saying is, what I don't like about Andrew Webster's coaching style is that there seems to be just one plan, and if it doesn't work out, we're done for. This year it's reminding me of unsuccessful past coaches.

Also no game plan is ever going to work if players constantly drop balls and miss tackles, those are fundamentals that all professionals are able to do, something must be mentally affecting the team this year.

I think it is partially both player and coach.

Sometimes he tinkers too much, like Walker to 2nd row.

He should've picked a nsw cup 2nd rower to play 2nd row, keep Walker were he is.
100% . Also goes totally against the next man up philosophy and in this case he had a guy who has proven himself with each opportunity in Laban as next man up.

Back