• Over the next day some images may not display. This is due to a upgrade in progress. It will correct itself. Sorry for the inconvenience.
webster.png

Staff Andrew Webster

Coach Grade
  1. NRL Head Coach
Date of Birth
Jan 17, 1982
Birth Location
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
Post Bluey (end of 2012), management didn't want to wait a year for Bellamy (who was contracted for 2013), so picked Matthew Elliott. Lol.
I always thought there was a rumour Bellamy had signed for 2012 and was confident of coming here but didn't want anyone knowing until he'd sorted things out with the Storm. Then someone leaked hte news and Bellamy rightly said "well if you can't keep that secret for a few days, I'm not coming!"
And IIRC Ivan was approached early in 2011 by the Panthers when we were 0-3 or 0-4, so you can kind of see why the management might have been a bit stand-offish about giving Ivan what the wanted.

NZWarriors.com
I always thought there was a rumour Bellamy had signed for 2012 and was confident of coming here but didn't want anyone knowing until he'd sorted things out with the Storm. Then someone leaked hte news and Bellamy rightly said "well if you can't keep that secret for a few days, I'm not coming!"
And IIRC Ivan was approached early in 2011 by the Panthers when we were 0-3 or 0-4, so you can kind of see why the management might have been a bit stand-offish about giving Ivan what the wanted.

I remember in 2013 they wanting a super coach like Wayne or Bellamy but had to wait till 2015 so they signed some journeyman coaches then McFadden lol

Bellamy was approached in late 2012 after Bluey was sacked. Bellamy could be offered a contract starting the 2014 season. He was still under contract to the Storm in 2013, and repeated through his manager that he would honour the last year of his contract even if he signed elsewhere.

Bellamy was approached in late 2012 after Bluey was sacked. Bellamy could be offered a contract starting the 2014 season. He was still under contract to the Storm in 2013, and repeated through his manager that he would honour the last year of his contract even if he signed elsewhere.

Yes, so we signed Matt Elliott who lasted only 3 games longer than if we had waited to sign Bellamy.

It was major news at the time, The Matty Johns show had breaking news that Warriors and Bellamy had met for more than 4 hours but still could not come to a deal.

Imagine trying to strong arm Bellamy. I think at the time he knew he had to build again from the first Storm dynasty. So it was a good time to leave or recomit for what has now been another decade (possibly entertained interest from Brisbane Broncos too at some point)

None of the below had debuted yet when we were talking to him! (in order of debut)
- Tohu Harris
- K Bromwich
- Jordan McLean
- Cam Munster
- Marika Koroibete
- Dale Finucane
- Felise Kafusi
- NAS
- S Vunivalu
- Josh Addo-Carr
- Cheese
- Jarome Hughes
- Harry Grant

Fuck me, actually crazy to think of that production line. Hope Webby can do something similar with our much less impressive list of juniors

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Yes, so we signed Matt Elliott who lasted only 3 games longer than if we had waited to sign Bellamy.

It was major news at the time, The Matty Johns show had breaking news that Warriors and Bellamy had met for more than 4 hours but still could not come to a deal.

Imagine trying to strong arm Bellamy. I think at the time he knew he had to build again from the first Storm dynasty. So it was a good time to leave or recomit for what has now been another decade (possibly entertained interest from Brisbane Broncos too at some point)

None of the below had debuted yet when we were talking to him! (in order of debut)
- Tohu Harris
- K Bromwich
- Jordan McLean
- Cam Munster
- Marika Koroibete
- Dale Finucane
- Felise Kafusi
- NAS
- S Vunivalu
- Josh Addo-Carr
- Cheese
- Jarome Hughes
- Harry Grant

Fuck me, actually crazy to think of that production line. Hope Webby can do something similar with our much less impressive list of juniors
It was the same year Owen Glen came onboard. I believe we offered him $1.33million a season ($4mil over 3 years)

It was the same year Owen Glen came onboard. I believe we offered him $1.33million a season ($4mil over 3 years)

Yea that was a strange period. Guys with those gloves on after being subbed.

"We're going to be the biggest club in Australasia" gulp...

And I've completely blanked on when the whole Richard Fale thing was. Was that after Glenn cut and run?

All this at a time when Johnson was not even 50 games into his career.

Way off topic sorry mods haha but it's the offseason

Wow you give Bellamy whatever he wants lol, WTF

Imagine what he could have done with the SJ/RTS/Foran/Luke spine

See, I wonder how well he would have done here. No doubt hes in contention for the best coach of the modern era, but do we really think this club would have allowed him to operate the way that the he does at the storm?

Probably not a popular opinion, but I would guess that his coaching style would be in conflict with the cultural focus that we see in the club at the moment. Not to mention our clubs managements constant habit of overrating itself (1 club mentality and all that.)

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
See, I wonder how well he would have done here. No doubt hes in contention for the best coach of the modern era, but do we really think this club would have allowed him to operate the way that the he does at the storm?

Probably not a popular opinion, but I would guess that his coaching style would be in conflict with the cultural focus that we see in the club at the moment. Not to mention our clubs managements constant habit of overrating itself (1 club mentality and all that.)

I think him yelling and grilling players here would have been fine, most of his Storm team are polynesian/Maori anyway and Hughes and Katoa just won Dally Ms. He'd probably have shipped off the lazy fragile ones as bargaining chips for ones that can handle winning premierships. But ya the old owners would probably make a huge fuss about it and fire him after 5 games lol

I think him yelling and grilling players here would have been fine, most of his Storm team are polynesian/Maori anyway and Hughes and Katoa just won Dally Ms

You are correct. I was more taking aim at management. This sort of player management doesn't work if the higher ups decide its 'off brand'.

Reactions: CWC