Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Martin / Metcalf

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Martin / Harris-Tavita

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Metcalf / Harris-Tavita

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If Te Maire continues to play around the same as he did the other night in this next little stretch against the Tigers, Raiders, and Dogs these next three weeks, should we be starting extension talks with him?

TMM29, Signed30, Free Agent31, Free Agent
CHT26, Signed27, Option28, Free Agent
Metcalf26, Signed27, Signed28, Free Agent
Jett20, Dev List21, Signed22, Signed

Can't see SJ wanting to go out like this, a year after a career year, and I think Webby will accommodate that no matter what.

Outside of the one game and the first 10-15 minutes of a couple of others (Rabbits, Titans Game One, Storm Game Two), TMM and SJ haven't clicked. I think there is hope that he would work with Chanel if he is fully fit, but I don't think you want to alienate Te Maire when he could be the starting 7 of the next 3/4 years and when he is about to come off contract by dropping him in career-best form in hopes SJ might recapture his.

I don't think it will help Jett either (if he really is seen as the future long-term 7) if SJ is only doing captain's runs and performing subpar on gameday.

Last edited:
Martin's comments about Webby allowing them to play more heads up were interesting. When you take Johnson and to a lesser degree Tohu out of the line up you lose a couple of things. 1. Johnson's accurate long kicking game. Pretty clear that it was a tactic to play well into the corners with Johnson's long kick and a good chase. Makes sense, it plays to a strength and increases percentages in terms of territory. 2. Control playing back into the middle with SJ's considered passing game, coupled with Tohu, who turns it in a lot too.

Without those 'strengths' you've go to go somewhere else.... exciting thing is Walker playing a bit more off the cuff, and definitely being a better ball runner at the is stage... then you've got Martin, who is running better than SJ right now.

It's interesting cos in the weekend we dominated in the forwards so much that the territory game was covered in that department ... against better packs you're going have to find a third option... that really should be Egan running and disrupting but there's something not quite right with him at the moment.

Poll updated.

I still dont get why Johnson and TMM cannot play well together. TMM needs someone who has a boot as its a weakness in his arsenal.

Personally hoping for a fit and firing Metcalf in the 6 jersey. His ceiling is quite high but also CHT currently seems like the best 6 option. I am not sure if we have a gameplan around our halves that unlocks the full width of the field. Sooner or later, the opposition will grasp onto this and suffocate the team.

My thoughts and there will be a few who will laugh and disagree. There is enough games available as evidence that SJ and TMM can work well together. Start of last season until TMM got injured, the finals at the end of the season, first game back for TMM against Souths. If you look at the games outside of those where they have partnered there are a number of factors to take in to consideration. The first would be the effect that SJ/Metcalf partnership had on the role SJ and the team had to play - Switched to a heavily right side dominant style of play and SJ controlling 90% of the play. That's not a slight on Metcalf, he played as well as you can expect from a backup 6. That worked well, particularly when we were confident, and caught teams out last year - but the writing was on the wall towards the back half of the season where we struggled to beat lower teams on the table. The game plan has rolled over to this season and I feel like SJ/AW have struggled to adapt - AW said himself that they just park TMM on the left and didn't really get him involved - that suggests a lack of identifying our potential issues and a lack of adaptability. Add in the older, playing injured squad that are a step slower than last season, players struggling to maintain career best form, SJ not being able to train with the team, weird selections and bench use, and a seemingly rigid game plan. Doesn't scream out as a recipe for success. The last two games, SJ obviously came back not even close to 100% and unable to contribute anywhere near what we would expect him to.

Despite all of that TMM was putting out better individual numbers at 6 than Metcalf this season. The perception is that TMM and SJ don't work well together. Those numbers highlight that it's no different to the previous 7/6 partnership that was there for the first games. People are asking why can't TMM get the same level of output with SJ at 7. For a start TMM gets less ball and with a busted Sj and Tohu I would argue less quality ball. Makes it harder to get a feel for the game and obviously less opportunities to create.

The thing that should be the focus is the combined output. At the moment TMM/CHT combined offers far more than any other combination we have currently. End of story there for me. If Metcalf is fit then the conversation would be whether TMM/CHT with Lussick on the bench is better than a TMM/Metcalf with CHT on the bench. Which for me is a very short conversation as well - CHT at 6 provides so much more than Metcalf IMO. And in the meantime, If SJ can get back to somewhere very close to fully fit that may change things. I'd give him a game or two in 💙 Mighty NSW cup to rediscover his spark and eyes up footy first though and show he can get through games.

So, I think it's far to simplistic and a misnomer to simply say TMM and SJ can't or don't work together. Plenty of games that say they can and have, and too many mitigating factors to take in to consideration otherwise.

The key for me is that as of right now, TMM/CHT are our best halves combo and our best chance at securing any chance of finals footy, however slim that might be.

Last edited:
CHT or TMM did/would work fine as they are good defenders, willing to straighten and play with effort, but SJ became so dominant, that yeah wasn’t that different to playing a non-half there. They’d only be handling the last play 1 out of every 7 times.

That wasn’t working with Metcalf and he would get frustrated being served the ball randomly with nothing on. Would he go better with TMM sharing the ball more?

Last week they went left a lot more, probably because staggs is not a great defender, to the point it looked like they were trying to avoid roger lol. But good to see some variation.

CHT or TMM did/would work fine as they are good defenders, willing to straighten and play with effort, but SJ became so dominant, that yeah wasn’t that different to playing a non-half there. They’d only be handling the last play 1 out of every 7 times.

That wasn’t working with Metcalf and he would get frustrated being served the ball randomly with nothing on. Would he go better with TMM sharing the ball more?

Last week they went left a lot more, probably because staggs is not a great defender, to the point it looked like they were trying to avoid roger lol. But good to see some variation.
For mine we will see a need for Metcalf next year. I think SJ will be gone and the inevitable injury toll he will get a good chance to show his ability with TMM at 7 injuries allowing.
I have seen this year with a few guys who have put their heads through the line and no speedster to capitalize and the play ends. Would make a huge difference results wise to finish these breaks into 4/6.

For mine we will see a need for Metcalf next year. I think SJ will be gone and the inevitable injury toll he will get a good chance to show his ability with TMM at 7 injuries allowing.
I have seen this year with a few guys who have put their heads through the line and no speedster to capitalize and the play ends. Would make a huge difference results wise to finish these breaks into 4/6.

CHT looks pretty lively and I remember he was a 6 or 7 who has others set him up to score tries for some reason it was funny. Metcalf would be a good backup, Taine would be good as well IDK if it's short legs he seems to half break the line than gets dragged down, but his last FG break was the match winner against the Panthers, hope he's found a way to clean break the line now

Something I always thought has held CHT back is his kicking game. Was very short when he first came into the team, but something I noticed this week is the height and distance he has picked up on his long kicking game this season. Really good signs, hope he can keep developing.

Something I always thought has held CHT back is his kicking game. Was very short when he first came into the team, but something I noticed this week is the height and distance he has picked up on his long kicking game this season. Really good signs, hope he can keep developing.

He has a shot to succeed SJ and TMM as the 7 in 3-4 years or if Jett or others come along nicely he can be a mentor while playing 6 or 14

If Te Maire continues to play around the same as he did the other night in this next little stretch against the Tigers, Raiders, and Dogs these next three weeks, should we be starting extension talks with him?

TMM29, Signed30, Free Agent31, Free Agent
CHT26, Signed27, Option28, Free Agent
Metcalf26, Signed27, Signed28, Free Agent
Jett20, Dev List21, Signed22, Signed

Can't see SJ wanting to go out like this, a year after a career year, and I think Webby will accommodate that no matter what.

Outside of the one game and the first 10-15 minutes of a couple of others (Rabbits, Titans Game One, Storm Game Two), TMM and SJ haven't clicked. I think there is hope that he would work with Chanel if he is fully fit, but I don't think you want to alienate Te Maire when he could be the starting 7 of the next 3/4 years and when he is about to come off contract by dropping him in career-best form in hopes SJ might recapture his.

I don't think it will help Jett either (if he really is seen as the future long-term 7) if SJ is only doing captain's runs and performing subpar on gameday.
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 4.16.09 PM.png

nrl.com has Jett Cleary on a train and trial next year and Dev list for the following two years.

Newcastle Knights legend Mason Lino also on the list I see.

Regarding CHT I was thinking about why Webby might have had Pompey kicking over him and aside from the fact Pompey has been solid in that area lately I guess the fact Pompey has been an 80 minute centre whereas CHT has been coming off the bench a bit might also have been a factor.

Poll updated.

I still dont get why Johnson and TMM cannot play well together. TMM needs someone who has a boot as its a weakness in his arsenal.

Personally hoping for a fit and firing Metcalf in the 6 jersey. His ceiling is quite high but also CHT currently seems like the best 6 option. I am not sure if we have a gameplan around our halves that unlocks the full width of the field. Sooner or later, the opposition will grasp onto this and suffocate the team.
What about TMM at 7 and SJ 6. Would feel like doggies where Burton who in my mind is better than Sexton/Hutchinson but plays 6 and has massive boot.

Poll updated.

Agree about Metcalf at 6 could be anything

Back