Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Martin / Metcalf

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Martin / Harris-Tavita

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Metcalf / Harris-Tavita

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Probably another one for a different thread. For me SJ is an elite half, easily a level or two above anyone else we have. Yes his injuries are a concern but then who else could you sign for his money? Add to that TMM has just come off a broken leg so not sure how his body is going to respond to a full season, LM managed 10 or 11 games and has injury issues including coming back from a broken leg, CHT has been out for a year and hasn't shown whether he can string together a run of games. Overall we are getting a good deal I think especially when you consider SJ could sign for more at other clubs. Another way to look at it I guess is we massively underpayed for his performance last year so should have been on my more and dropped to what it is now.
Sorry just one more. Dylan Brown at five eighth to SJ halfback and TMM backup halfback and Metcalf backup five eighth is a great depth in the halves I reckon, would love for there to be some smoke around that rumour. Could have Walker at starting lock and CHT takes Walkers bench role and Tohu front row. If SJ’s pay packet could accommodate that

Here are the results and minutes played by our half pairings through 17 rounds in 2024:

1719697895375.png

Could be coincidence but I can definitely see some patterns here.
Win-Loss-Draw records for each pairing:

SJ/LM: 1-2-0 (Started the season with two 4point losses, an 8point win, and then LM was injured.)
SJ/CHT: 1-0-0 (8point win with CHT from the bench, replacing LM who was injured 9mins in.)
SJ/TMM: 1-6-1 (Got the big win over Souths with their first game, followed by a draw vs Manly, but 6 losses in a row since for our main duo is quite alarming.)
TMM/CNK: 1-0-0 (CNK with one game at five-eighth. Beat the Premiers at Magic Round, after losing our last 4 in a row!)
TMM/CHT: 3-0-0 (Small sample size but have beaten the Dolphins, Cowboys and Broncos. Play well together and I think you have to give them the spots now as long as they're winning.)

Sidenote: SJ hasn't been on a winning team since Round 5.

SJ retires, Dylan brown comes over (eels lost again, despite the commentators fondling moses for 80 minutes). Tracksuit cam can sort of keep his word that they didn't approach Brown, until after they knew SJ wasn't going around again.

Paid for via Johnsons money + a couple more releases.

Dylan Brown would be a top tier fullback. I don’t think we’ll win a premiership with Tauapiki or charnze at the back as much as I like them.

Have also really liked the combo of Metcalf and Te-Maire the few opportunities they’ve had, tough one with CHT as well love his aggression at 6.

Is metcalf an option at fullback next year if cnk doesn’t come right?
Similar player to drinkwater- would add some speed and X factor from the back and give us another ball playing and kicking option…
I like that, we need that X factor at the back. Tauapiki is that but his passing games not that great and doesn’t have that top end speed like Metcalf. And charnze is a grafter. Would love this spine,

Metcalf
Harris-Tavita
Martin
Egan

Is metcalf an option at fullback next year if cnk doesn’t come right?
Similar player to drinkwater- would add some speed and X factor from the back and give us another ball playing and kicking option…
I've always said he looks like a fullback or a wing. Only concern for me is whether he has the motor that is required to be consistent at fullback like CNK or Taine has. I think he is a handy back up 6 and that's about it currently. At the moment TMM and CHT are well ahead of him IMO as far as a halves spot goes.

I've always said he looks like a fullback or a wing. Only concern for me is whether he has the motor that is required to be consistent at fullback like CNK or Taine has. I think he is a handy back up 6 and that's about it currently. At the moment TMM and CHT are well ahead of him IMO as far as a halves spot goes.
Fullback maybe.
Winger no way.
Just my opinion

Taine or CNK can be the 4th option, the way we’re structured now they just need to run the ball instead of “managing” their edge. Taine has a boot so might be better foil for TMM

CHT as the 7 back up and Hansen as emergency. No Walker at 6 bs ever again please Webby

I'd be going

7.TMM
6.CHT

First drop metcalfe.
Only keeling SJ if its for minwage. Nothing against him as a player but it's time I reckon, either to transition to media or coaching or both. Would've been better to go out last year in hindsight, but not without foresight he could come good again.

Back