Politics šŸ¤” Donald Trump

I have an ex-brother in law who is an associate professor in Statistics at an Ivy League University in the States. He was one of the heads in the COVID modeling for NYC and NY, NJ and some of the other New England states.

One time when he was in NZ, it was approaching a US presidential election and I asked him who he would be voting for as heā€™d always voted National in NZ. I was surprised when he said the Democrats as I thought he would have voted for the Republicans. His response was interestingā€¦. American politics is so close to the right of the political spectrum that the Democrats were closer to National.

My wifeā€™s closest friend is an African American lady who was her boss for three years when their company sent her to NZ to be the GM here. Through her role, she met John Key a few times and, when sheā€™d worked in Chicago, went to the same church as the Obamaā€™s and was a volunteer in his first Presidential campaign. She said it didnā€™t surprise her at all that Barack and Key got on so wellā€¦ as they were politically very similar.

No wonder the place is so screwed up when thereā€™s not a main stream ā€œleft leaning partyā€.
Oh for sure, America has always been right wing as heck. That's why they don't have universal health care (oh one night stay in hospital? That'll be $2000 thanks) or a decent minimum wage ($2 hr + tips), schools are funded by surrounding areas house prices (so poor neighborhoods schools get way less) , and no matter which government is in power is always LET'S FUCKEN GO TO WAR BITCHES!!!!

Oh for sure, America has always been right wing as heck. That's why they don't have universal health care (oh one night stay in hospital? That'll be $2000 thanks) or a decent minimum wage ($2 hr + tips), schools are funded by surrounding areas house prices (so poor neighborhoods schools get way less) , and no matter which government is in power is always LET'S FUCKEN GO TO WAR BITCHES!!!!
Different ā€˜survival of the fittestā€™ attitude.

That attitude has made more advances in tech, science and peace??? Than any other.

Not wrong just different.

I believe we're both on similar sides of the fence so this could be a little bias but do you think this misinformation stuff became worse since Trump came around?
The machine that surrounds Trump will certainly have amplified, distorted and added to the sheer weight of lies. Trump and his organisation/surrounds certainly create a large amount of disinformation, and that only serves to be amplified incredibly quickly.

It all feeds off itself, the common factor here is that the origins and intent are malicious. Lots of bad actors, opportunists looking to gain from the chaos caused, and many of them delight in seeing democracy and society fracture and break down. The majority of this that spreads within western culture seems to emanate from those right leaning and the far right.

I had the privilege of visiting this museum in Munich a while back - https://whichmuseum.com/museum/ns-d... Munchen is,and social consequences of Nazism.

They lay out in the open how the german people fell for Hitler and the Nazi party, and the museum is dedicated to highlighting the pitfalls of fascism and authoritarianism. I read very carefully the exhibits and timelines, and Trump is following the blueprint almost exactly.

I've no doubt others are too. It's horrifying to watch in real time - the othering of groups, cultures, sowing foment and hatred, creating division, encouraging people to think of others as less than human.

Sadly we see aspects of that here from those on the right too, just not as pronounced.

Another aspect which is a symptom of neoliberalism is the "What's in it for me" mentality - the cult of individuality. Community, cooperation and a cohesive society is a threat to this ideology.

Humanity has been here before, sadly many times. The thing is if there's will, political will, this could be stopped.

I have an ex-brother in law who is an associate professor in Statistics at an Ivy League University in the States. He was one of the heads in the COVID modeling for NYC and NY, NJ and some of the other New England states.

One time when he was in NZ, it was approaching a US presidential election and I asked him who he would be voting for as heā€™d always voted National in NZ. I was surprised when he said the Democrats as I thought he would have voted for the Republicans. His response was interestingā€¦. American politics is so close to the right of the political spectrum that the Democrats were closer to National.

My wifeā€™s closest friend is an African American lady who was her boss for three years when their company sent her to NZ to be the GM here. Through her role, she met John Key a few times and, when sheā€™d worked in Chicago, went to the same church as the Obamaā€™s and was a volunteer in his first Presidential campaign. She said it didnā€™t surprise her at all that Barack and Key got on so wellā€¦ as they were politically very similar.

No wonder the place is so screwed up when thereā€™s not a main stream ā€œleft leaning partyā€.
100% Mike. I've said quite a few times on these forums that the frame of reference people operate in is so far right that Labour, which implements neoliberal policies and would be right leaning in old money is called communist by some members on here.

Any time there's any kind of attempt to get parity and claw back anything that's been taken away by the right leaning governments there's howls of "Inflation! We can't afford it! Commies! Economic mismanagement! I demand a tax cut! How dare those people ask for a minimum wage rise".

Usually by the same people who cry the same thing whenever a CGT or wealth tax is mentioned.

The game is rigged, very cleverly, by the conservative right.

I've had family that needed surgery and weeks of stay in the hospital. I'm very grateful that money was never a factor because we live in NZ. I don't wish anyone that has to pay huge sums of money just to not die.
I agree.

But their way is their way. Millions of people want to move there knowing what itā€™s like. Not many choose to leave.

They live or die by their rights, first amendment, a weird tipping culture and suing each other.

Not my choice but itā€™s their culture šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Who are we to say what ways right or wrong.

100% Mike. I've said quite a few times on these forums that the frame of reference people operate in is so far right that Labour, which implements neoliberal policies and would be right leaning in old money is called communist by some members on here.

Any time there's any kind of attempt to get parity and claw back anything that's been taken away by the right leaning governments there's howls of "Inflation! We can't afford it! Commies! Economic mismanagement! I demand a tax cut! How dare those people ask for a minimum wage rise".

Usually by the same people who cry the same thing whenever a CGT or wealth tax is mentioned.

The game is rigged, very cleverly, by the conservative right.
I remember in New Zealand when we had big families and lived on one wage while everyone was fed and got what they needed.

Sort of like how the rural united states still is now šŸ¤£

Both my older Brothers are Trumpers.
One is a nutty Trumper, the other is a moderate Trumper.
Both found their way to supporting the organge Satan through their wives.
The Irony is that under a Trump dictatorship they would be among the first deported (hope that happens just to teach them a lesson).

They are moral people, religious even, but as I say, they married Maga women and therefore are smart enough to choose harmony at home over common sense.

If Trump returns to power America will be a dictatorship with hostile intentions towards the likes of moderate NZ.

Part of me hopes that happens just to teach the Morons in this country who back him a good lesson about supporting a dictator that does not give a flying fuck about them and their families.

Trumps play book is to divide and set up conflict among all groups including what he would see as a shithole left leaning country like NZ.

The orange Liar already told lies about NZ during Covid, calling us a failure, imagine how he will treat us when he has unlimited power in perpetuity and no longer has to treat us like we are friends.

Both my older Brothers are Trumpers.
One is a nutty Trumper, the other is a moderate Trumper.
Both found their way to supporting the organge Satan through their wives.
The Irony is that under a Trump dictatorship they would be among the first deported (hope that happens just to teach them a lesson).

They are moral people, religious even, but as I say, they married Maga women and therefore are smart enough to choose harmony at home over common sense.

If Trump returns to power America will be a dictatorship with hostile intentions towards the likes of moderate NZ.

Part of me hopes that happens just to teach the Morons in this country who back him a good lesson about supporting a dictator that does not give a flying fuck about them and their families.

Trumps play book is to divide and set up conflict among all groups including what he would see as a shithole left leaning country like NZ.

The orange Liar already told lies about NZ during Covid, calling us a failure, imagine how he will treat us when he has unlimited power in perpetuity and no longer has to treat us like we are friends.
Imagine bagging your blood, your Brothers for supporting a political figure.
Also disparaging their Partners as controlling so the boys fell in to line to save harmony at home.
Hoping they get deported to teach them a lesson.
Also calling all of Trumps supporters Morons for having an opinion.
You are the divisive person, you sound toxic as fuck man.

Imagine bagging your blood, your Brothers for supporting a political figure.
Also disparaging their Partners as controlling so the boys fell in to line to save harmony at home.
Hoping they get deported to teach them a lesson.
Also calling all of Trumps supporters Morons for having an opinion.
You are the divisive person, you sound toxic as fuck man.
Its just patter mate.

Dont make me laugh taking apart an opinionated tongue in cheek post to try to marginalize me as a person and vilify me as toxic.

Ət is my god dam right to dislike your White power white supremacist leader bro.

I can wax lyrical all I like about it.

Maga calling me toxic is hilarious.

And yes it is ridiculous that my Maori brothers support a Racist convicted fellon and I will make loose statements in this thread which after all is a place to dish out ridicule for many of us who see Trump as a symptom of societies insanity.

What I said about Trump deporting them first is the reality of Trumps racial politics and his anti ethnic views mate...heard of the wall? the good clans folk in Charlottesville? Proud boys stand by?

Buckle up.

Reactions: j_p
Its just patter mate.

Dont make me laugh taking apart an opinionated tongue in cheek post to try to marginalize me as a person and vilify me as toxic.

Ət is my god dam right to dislike your White power white supremacist leader bro.

I can wax lyrical all I like about it.

Maga calling me toxic is hilarious.

And yes it is ridiculous that my Maori brothers support a Racist convicted fellon and I will make loose statements in this thread which after all is a place to dish out ridicule for many of us who see Trump as a symptom of societies insanity.
If it was tongue in cheek I apologise I didnā€™t pick up on that.
I would never bag my family publicly but you have different values and thatā€™s fine.
Iā€™m not defending Maga or Trump just calling you out for being more toxic than the people you despise

If it was tongue in cheek I apologise I didnā€™t pick up on that.
I would never bag my family publicly but you have different values and thatā€™s fine.
Iā€™m not defending Maga or Trump just calling you out for being more toxic than the people you despise
I will take a break from this thread. We will agree to disagree.

When it gets to this level it only goes down badly from here, and this is what Trump does to people.

I am out.

My hero Bob Dylan was no better. All our heroes eventually turn out to be creeps and pedos lately.

Saw this Savile doco the other day, seems he was basically a fixer providing children for powerful people to rape. And they gave him a knighthood. Unbelievable.
(says video unavailable because it's age restricted but still works if you click on the link underneath)

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgYxfDZ7T4

Last edited:
Back