• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

NZWarriors.com
The Vogtle 4 reactor in Georgia, US, cost $USD 30 billion ($NZD 48 billion) to build and it would provide power to 500,000 houses (around 1/4 of NZ households). That's a cost of $NZD 96,000 per household to build.... slightly more than solar at $8,000 - $15,000 per household (depending on the number of panels and batteries).
How many solar panels does it take to power NZ at night? For the love of all that's holy please don't wade into the energy with half assed talking points you get from the Greens.

How many solar panels does it take to power NZ at night? For the love of all that's holy please don't wade into the energy with half assed talking points you get from the Greens.

Got any more facts than a halfarsed paywalled telegraph article?

Solar panels and batteries are much cheaper, subsidise that, insulation, heat pump hot water cylinders etc into houses and that's a start.
The tech is only getting better.

The real issue is the political class are heavily invested into the power companies so don't any change.
& NZ is also staunchly anti nuclear to it's core so it really is pie in the sky.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I agree with everything you say here except when you say a Treaty of sort was in the offing prior to Hobson leaving England.
If that were the case, it would not have needed Busby joining Hobson and Freeman to write the Treaty when he arrived which was the end of January 1840.
The Maori version was written by Henry Williams and his son on Feb 4 1840. I don't think Maori had any input.

I suggest at least some did not fully understand what they were signing and did so to some degree under encouragement from missionaries.
Apologies for misleading you...when he visited 3 years prior it was from Oz where he had some sort of job. After his visit he reported to his English bosses the state of NZ as he saw it then heard back (18mth pprocess back then) and was then given the job here.
Busby was here already as was Williams and had both been for some time, had connections in maoridom as well as a reasonable grounding in te reo, that he didn't so they got the job of drawing up a treaty - ostensibly in such a way they could persuade Maori to sign. Hence the te reo version and the full day wananga (and in some reports through the night) for Maori to be satisfied they were not giving up what they held dear - their tino rangatiratanga and taonga, words that have huge meanings beyond what the other treaty partner could not or would not grasp. As it is today.

Solar panels and batteries are much cheaper, subsidise that, insulation, heat pump hot water cylinders etc into houses and that's a start.
The tech is only getting better.
Rubbish. But im sure you'll whip out some LCOE study that you don't properly understand. Cheap solar that have to be replaced every 20 years is pointless at a 30% capacity factor. I suggest you google that term. Batteries ARNET much cheaper and they also DONT generate energy, they arbitrage it. Unsure how that *lowers* energy prices but go off. The tech HAS got better, its nuclear. Windmills, PV and batteries have all existed for well over a century and DC power lost last time.
The real issue is the political class are heavily invested into the power companies so don't any change.
Bullshit again. The real issue is ideological environmentalists who dont care if billions of people die, met their dream match in the rent seeking class. Every technological leap has been made due to energy density and no subsidies, but renewables arent a leap they are a step backwards. Which is why they have to be subsidized (like EVs), which is why the messaging has to be controlled.

And I just asked for people NOT to wade into the debate regurgitating talking points they don't understand. You dont have to be an expert, but at least do the back ground reading to understand the core issues. Intermittency, capacity factor, transmission, overbuild and curtailment are all critical issues that haven't been solved.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

Frank. Your ideology is showing again.

You realise that if there was a large uptake in solar panels and storage that would provide instant relief to our energy system? But that would also impact the megaprofits too.

Kicking the public service when they're down, a specialty of this government. Then, others leading the charge to try and improve profits for one group of businesses at the expense of workers.

No thought given to the doubling or quadrupling of expenses, time lost in travel, gridlocking those precious streets, upsetting all those who can't use the legislated speed increases so they can win their culture war.

This government are utterly, utterly regressive. Oh, and did I say corrupt? And fucking awful.

View: https://x.com/mintyhiggins/status/1838094648679817450

Frank. Your ideology is showing again.

You realise that if there was a large uptake in solar panels and storage that would provide instant relief to our energy system? But that would also impact the megaprofits too.
Its like lefties have been lobotomized when it comes to the energy debate. I literally posted a graphic of the most renewably powered region in Australiasia, is supplying power at $6,500/MWh for battery. I then posted a graphic showing that same region has a power price 20-50% higher than anywhere else.

These matters show why there should be an IQ test for voting.

Its like lefties have been lobotomized when it comes to the energy debate. I literally posted a graphic of the most renewably powered region in Australiasia, is paying supply power at $6,500/MWh for battery. I then posted a graphic showing that same region has a power price 20-50% higher than anywhere else.

These matters show why there should be an IQ test for voting.
Likewise for replying in these forums. So much complexity to these issues, we never see full facts and to be frank, Frank, it's banging all of our heads against whatever the other culture war/ideology/side posts.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Likewise for replying in these forums. So much complexity to these issues, we never see full facts and to be frank, Frank, it's banging all of our heads against whatever the other culture war/ideology/side posts.
Sure in ideological terms sure. But talking straight dog shit, despite it readily and easily disprovable, is weak asf. If someone come on here and said the Treaty was costing 5billion a year or that Luxon was raising the min wage to $30, youd be jumping up and down.

The reason NZ and Aus power companies are making obscene profits is because consumers are demanding such dumb power systems that governments have to subsidize with free money to keep the whole ponzi system afloat.

Kicking the public service when they're down, a specialty of this government. Then, others leading the charge to try and improve profits for one group of businesses at the expense of workers.

No thought given to the doubling or quadrupling of expenses, time lost in travel, gridlocking those precious streets, upsetting all those who can't use the legislated speed increases so they can win their culture war.

This government are utterly, utterly regressive. Oh, and did I say corrupt? And fucking awful.

It is just returning to pre covid times, going to work.
If it doesn't suit public servants they can resign.
How is it unreasonable that an employer demands staff attend work?
Public servants ( managers up anyway ) are not the most productive at the best of times let alone working from home.

39% of wellingtons workforce being back in their offices in the CBD will undoubtably get wellington back on its feet. it’s a ghost town most week days.
the amount of cafes, restaurants, bars, bookshops, fucking uber drivers, you name it that will get somewhere close to pre covid incomes will be amazing.
even just having people around and the buzz back in the city.
what use are all the unusable bike lanes and unreliable public transport if no one’s ever using them anyway?
everyone wins when there’s more people in the city.

and anyway, i thought you were all for the privileged minority doing their bit for the the rest of us?

no matter what this government do, no matter how positive, you’ll fill your nappy over it.

Last edited:
39% of wellingtons workforce being back in their offices in the CBD will undoubtably get wellington back on its feet. it’s a ghost town most week days.
the amount of cafes, restaurants, bars, bookshops, fucking uber drivers, you name it that will get somewhere close to pre covid incomes will be amazing.
even just having people around and the buzz back in the city.
what use are all the unusable bike lanes and unreliable public transport if no one’s ever using them anyway?
everyone wins when there’s more people in the city.

and anyway, i thought you were all for the privileged minority doing their bit for the the rest of us?

no matter what this government do, no matter how positive, you’ll fill your nappy over it.

it’s pretty tiresome.
Is that 39% after the 6000 lay offs?

"undoubtedly" get wellington back on it's feet seems a real stretch -
Its a recession, with public servants feeling like they no job security, paying hefty mortgages & no disposable income.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

This is the most pertinent part of that article IMO.

"Ill-managed work from home not only threatens public sector performance today, it also puts the quality of our future leadership at risk."

From everything I have seen, heard and experienced regarding the public sector, it is a long way off any private sector performance. It simply has to improve.

Is that 39% after the 6000 lay offs?

"undoubtedly" get wellington back on it's feet seems a real stretch -
Its a recession, with public servants feeling like they no job security, paying hefty mortgages & no disposable income.
would you like a wager?
perhaps 12 months from whenever they start back in the office?

bars restaurants and cafes in the city fringe suburbs are absolutely thriving. plenty of people are doing it real tough at the moment, but plenty are also fine.

wellington businesses need the income.
if offices are full again and there’s more happening in the city, and the government can get all the troublemakers out of those horrible backpackers motels they’ve been in for three years and into real housing, that will drop the ass out of inner city crime and even more people will come back.

it’s win-win.
if these office workers don’t have anything in their contract to state they can work from wherever they want, and if their contract hasn’t changed, why should they be able to?

This is the most pertinent part of that article.

"Ill-managed work from home not only threatens public sector performance today, it also puts the quality of our future leadership at risk."

From everything I have seen, heard and experienced regarding the public sector, it is a long way off any private sector performance. It simply has to improve.
I was a WFH advocate when I was firmly on the left. Now I know how lazy, ignorant and dishonest 90% of people are; back to the CBD for everyone.

would you like a wager?
perhaps 12 months from whenever they start back in the office?

bars restaurants and cafes in the city fringe suburbs are absolutely thriving. plenty of people are doing it real tough at the moment, but plenty are also fine.

wellington businesses need the income.
if offices are full again and there’s more happening in the city, and the government can get all the troublemakers out of those horrible backpackers motels they’ve been in for three years and into real housing, that will drop the ass out of inner city crime and even more people will come back.

it’s win-win.
if these office workers don’t have anything in their contract to state they can work from wherever they want, and if their contract hasn’t changed, why should they be able to?
I'll definitely take that bet. They're not going back to pre covid levels because a chunky portion of the workforce is gone & the rest have far less disposable income. It's not just a Wellington situation.

It is exactly the same in the CBD in Auckland, Ponsonby, KRD.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back