• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

In the interests of fairness, here's their website - https://www.atlasnetwork.org/

And some good journalism - https://www.theguardian.com/comment...sunak-javier-milei-donald-trump-atlas-network

And their wiki entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Network

Act, the taxpayers union (really, Act), Hobson's pledge (Act again), the NZ Institute (far right thinktank) all have links - https://badnewsletter.substack.com/p/a-simple-nullity
So a lobby and policy group?

Scary stuff 🙄

You need to keep off the left wing conspiracy theory rabbit holes if that’s all there is…

NZWarriors.com
Interesting article about the realities of govt ownership that MaybeTop8 MaybeTop8 is so passionate about:

The chief executive of Air India has pledged to restore national pride in the country’s flag carrier after it entered “terminal decline” following seven decades of state ownership.

Campbell Wilson, a New Zealander, said Air India had received “no investment in aircraft, in people or in technology” under its state owners, who had brought the airline to its knees by the time it was sold to Tata Group, the owner of Jaguar Land Rover.

Mr Wilson said: “There were 30 planes on the ground because there was no money for spare parts, so there were too many staff for the size of the airline, which bred inefficiency and complacency.

“No new non-flying staff had been recruited since 1999, so the average employee age was 54 with a retirement age of 58. There were no job descriptions, no metrics, no reward for good performance and no consequences for bad performance.

“Promotion was based on tenure, not talent. There was no revenue management. In short, it was the antithesis of what you want from a modern business. It was in terminal decline.”

As a “state-owned behemoth” not expected to turn a profit, it acted as “a spoiler in the system,” stymying the development of would-be rivals unable to survive in its shadow, he said.

Sound familiar with the abysmal record of our state services? Kiwirail???

This is what you voted in. No surprise sexual assaults have exploded under this coalition, absolutely disgusting. But you knew that would happen. This will go down as the darkest time in NZ history.
Out of interest, why is it no surprise that sexual assaults have ‘exploded’ (up 17) under the current government?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

This is what you voted in. No surprise sexual assaults have exploded under this coalition, absolutely disgusting. But you knew that would happen. This will go down as the darkest time in NZ history.
grim alright.
one part i don’t understand though, is what exactly you think a change of government has done to directly cause these extra 17 sexual assaults “and related offenses”?

and what was the number before this government took office? one? 20,000?

Out of interest, why is it no surprise that sexual assaults have ‘exploded’ (up 17) under the current government?
I was talking to a subbie this morning who, if he had a chance to vote for a party more right than ACT, would certainly do so.

In his "opinion", the reason there was more sexual assaults reported is because the victims now feel they would get more "justice" under the current administration than the previous one. I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion, but some of the things he wanted the government to do (like mobilising the unemployed to build roads/motorways) was pretty much straight out of Germany in the 1930's.

I was talking to a subbie this morning who, if he had a chance to vote for a party more right than ACT, would certainly do so.

In his "opinion", the reason there was more sexual assaults reported is because the victims now feel they would get more "justice" under the current administration than the previous one. I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion, but some of the things he wanted the government to do (like mobilising the unemployed to build roads/motorways) was pretty much straight out of Germany in the 1930's.
So long as they’re getting paid adequately then I’m all for mobilising the unemployed, however if there are book bonfires in the town squares around the country then I’ll start to get concerned!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
grim alright.
one part i don’t understand though, is what exactly you think a change of government has done to directly cause these extra 17 sexual assaults “and related offenses”?

and what was the number before this government took office? one? 20,000?
I guess the counter question is why did the last opposition blame the then government for the increase in crime??

I guess the counter question is why did the last opposition blame the then government for the increase in crime??
You already know the responses.... and it's pathetic each time we hear it.... "it's the previous government's fault" and "there hasn't been enough time for our policies yet to be fully implemented". Boring shit we hear every time there's a change in government.... no matter who the new government is!!!

i wouldn’t say it’s a counter question. but it’s certainly a question.

one that would be met with some bullshit excuse blaming the previous government im sure.

it seems that’s all any of them ever do.

Last edited:
I think there are different ways to view this and whether there are govt policies directly related to crime.

Lots of crime is can be caused by the economic climate, poverty, more 501’s, etc that the govt isn’t responsible for.

But soft on crime policies like reducing prison population, stopping police chases, etc will result in more crime.

I don’t really see anything the current govt has done to directly increase crime.

Overall we need a prosperous country for ALL where people have hope, education and ambition. That’s the key to reducing crime.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If congestion charging comes in I will refuse to pay and go into full revolt.

We pay fuel excise and registration already. Greed.

Auckland CBD is the only city that could justify it. The way it’s designed for travelling to different parts of the towns without congestion is just a tax and an infringement on civil rights around freedom to travel!

Still waiting to hear back from PullingTeets for his insight into the link between the current government & sexual assaults increasing…
I'm still waiting on top 8 to explain how banning semi auto weapons after christchurch means we can still buy and use them if licensed.

On another topic, the UK at the moment is pretty grim with immigrant/asylum seeker problems. Read in the paper here today they had 700 boat people arrive last week from France in various craft from rafts to P class type yachts. Powder keg.

I'm still waiting on top 8 to explain how banning semi auto weapons after christchurch means we can still buy and use them if licensed.

On another topic, the UK at the moment is pretty grim with immigrant/asylum seeker problems. Read in the paper here today they had 700 boat people arrive last week from France in various craft from rafts to P class type yachts. Powder keg.
That just shows how despite people are if they’re willing to sail a P class across the Channel. For those who don’t know what that is, they’re a tiny boat kids learn to sail on and are only suitable for light winds and calm water. Because they have a cut off bow, anything over 12 knots of wind and the front goes underwater. Spent a summer learning how to sail on one in Tauranga Harbour in my teens.

IMG_1433.jpeg

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
ASB, KiwiBank, SBS, TSB and Westpac have already reduced some of their interest rates following the RBNZ decision to drop the OCR from 5.50% to 5.25%. The lowest six month interest rate is now found at the ASB at 6.89%. ANZ and BNZ haven't moved yet but they had already reduced their six month interest rate down to 6.99% a few weeks ago so they might not move again now.

That's a big change in direction from the RBNZ as they had previously said they wouldn't be reducing the OCR until August of next year.

I'm not sure what you what you're wanting re: the first statement Rick, tbh. You can make up my response to suit yourself, you have my permission.

So a summary of the neoliberal position that has been made very clear in the last year that we find ourselves in:

The Reserve Bank has articulated many times very clearly that unemployment must rise to help combat inflation. So a recession must be manufactured and has been, and the implementation of which is in full swing.

The current government have promised to enrich the already wealthy and provide billions in a tax cut. Yet that money must come from somewhere, so they implement cuts all essential services and conduct a war on the poor, including harsh cuts to benefits and removing people and families from emergency accommodation. With no follow up on consequences.

They conduct a war on the unemployed and portray them as scoundrels and bludgers, yet there are no jobs and unemployment needs to increase.

All to pay for tax cuts THAT WE CAN'T AFFORD AND DON'T WANT. Well, the rich might.

It's a war on the poor.

This government - of the rich, by the rich, for the rich.

So a summary of the neoliberal position that has been made very clear in the last year that we find ourselves in:

The Reserve Bank has articulated many times very clearly that unemployment must rise to help combat inflation. So a recession must be manufactured and has been, and the implementation of which is in full swing.

The current government have promised to enrich the already wealthy and provide billions in a tax cut. Yet that money must come from somewhere, so they implement cuts all essential services and conduct a war on the poor, including harsh cuts to benefits and removing people and families from emergency accommodation. With no follow up on consequences.

They conduct a war on the unemployed and portray them as scoundrels and bludgers, yet there are no jobs and unemployment needs to increase.

All to pay for tax cuts THAT WE CAN'T AFFORD AND DON'T WANT. Well, the rich might.

It's a war on the poor.

This government - of the rich, by the rich, for the rich.
All this feeds into the disinformation network, with it's basis in far right theorism and the age of the neolib individualism, famous for it's "Why should I <fill in any selfish statement>" and "Put them all on the chain gang" mentality

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back