• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

Speaking as someone who is very senior in that industry I can honestly tell you that there is no plan to replace either the ferries or the port infrastructure (which is falling into the sea).

The ferry contract was a brilliant deal for the country but KiwiRail fucked up the port infrastructure pricing royally - refer my report to the minister 2020.

Camcelling the projects is gonna costs about $200m.
Thanks for providing the context and some facts.

NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I actually reckon there is space, politically, for a green-minded party whose target remit is to be a part of every coalition government, with agreeable green policies that both sides can work with. That way, they can be a power broker and enact change that lasts more than a term.

But that would require someone brave (and resourced) enough to jump ship and come up against the greens
This is something I've brought up in the past. I have used a Maori party doing that so there is always some Maori representation or voice within parliament.

Like someone else that replied to you there may need to be a bit of a change in NZ politics. They mentioned NZ First. They would be difficult for another party to work with. When Peters retires, let's hope Jones can't get any popularity and they disappear.

Peters also hasn't helped MMP in this country as we have the smaller parties trying to make big policies as a bottom line. Where it should be more proportionate to the percentage of the vote they earned in the election.

Then it comes down to the voters and expectations as in the past the smaller parties have been pretty much punished for being in government.

A good example of state owned vital infrastructure.
A good example of our infrastructure issues this week with the power outage in Northland.

I was busy this week so only skimmed through it when it first happened. More to go over as I have family that would be affected. So, I am not totally across the cause and what happened. I've seen there are rumours/speculation. I thought it was something along the lines of maintenance on the secondary part of the supply and the other fell over or something.

I as driving to a job for work and a caller from up north mentioned there was a power source up there but didn't service the area.

I work in business continuity. Even in the areas I work away from that maintenance needs to be planned and approved with failbacks listed for people to approve in case something goes wrong.

Speaking as someone who is very senior in that industry I can honestly tell you that there is no plan to replace either the ferries or the port infrastructure (which is falling into the sea).

The ferry contract was a brilliant deal for the country but KiwiRail fucked up the port infrastructure pricing royally - refer my report to the minister 2020.

Camcelling the projects is gonna costs about $200m.
I’ve heard otherwise from an industry CEO & an ex industry CEO. There has to be a solution, the status quo isn’t an option.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I just had the COO of KiwiRail on the phone - who you gonna believe?
yeah for someone who laughs at people having cancer and wants to congratulate kids for spitting at and intimidating adults, i’m sure most would find it as hard to believe you as they do respect you.

also, if you do indeed earn $500k pa but cry about the tax cuts you get, you could easily actually achieve something and end all poverty on waiheke.

how are you going with that?

yeah for someone who laughs at people having cancer and wants to congratulate kids for spitting at and intimidating adults, i’m sure most would find it as hard to believe you as they do respect you.

also, if you do indeed earn $500k pa but cry about the tax cuts you get, you could easily actually achieve something and end all poverty on waiheke.

how are you going with that?
Don't be a cunt mate.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Textbook neoliberal play - Run something down, manufacture a crisis, express no confidence, and then, from within the very vehicle that you say can't do it's job - the government - look to privatise

It's 1989 - 1992 all over again.

Of the wealthy few, by the wealthy few, for the wealthy few.

This is why we need to ensure public journalism is prominent and to the fore - from Bernard Hickey

‘We’re so stretched it’s now not safe’

Decades of underfunding of hospitals relative to population growth has stretched emergency departments to breaking point. RNZ reported last night:

Exhausted front-line staff at Auckland City Hospital have taken the unusual step of writing directly to management to warn of the danger posed by chronic staff shortages in the emergency department.
A formal document earlier this month signed by 150 staff, including doctors, nurses and healthcare assistants, said "safe staffing levels" were "consistently breached", exposing staff and patients to unacceptable risk.
Staff nurse Nico Woodward - a Nurses Organisation delegate - said even when the emergency department (ED) and neighbouring clinical decision unit (CDU) were fully staffed, there were still too many patients for them to treat properly.
"We'll go almost weeks without dipping below 100 percent capacity, which even when we're fully staffed, the pressure is immense."
ED staff decided to escalate their concerns in a formal way after repeatedly filing "incident reports" with no tangible result.
"Submitting incident reports don't seem to be doing much other than creating paperwork for us," Woodward said.
"People are missing breaks, they're not able to take leave, we've got higher number of patients we're looking after, multiple sick calls, those sick calls aren't being covered, leaving staff having to pick up the pieces of what's left behind." RNZ
The ED hit nearly 200% occupancy in May and was regularly over 100% through winter.

In my view, this is the culmination of 30 years of under-investment in health infrastructure to ensure Budget surpluses and low public debt, but with low income taxes and no wealth taxes. This coincied with a tipping point in the 30-50% pay gap between Australian and New Zealand health sector wages. Australia’s decision to announce on Anzac Day this year it would welcome any New Zealander as a first class citizen accelerated the exodus, along with significant upfront bonuses and relocation pay offers from Australia’s health system in the wake of covid.

All roads lead to the 30/30/30 fiscal rules. Both National and Labour-led Governments have tried to keep net debt and the size of Government spending well under 30% of GDP by running surpluses whenever possible for 30 years, but without a capital gains or wealth taxes. That was fine when the strategy was set in stone in 1989 when population growth was low with an ageing population. But politicians, planners and ultimately median voters realised in the last 20 years they could generate GDP growth, higher land price inflation for leveraged tax-free capital gains and get lower interest rates by engineering 1.5-2% population growth per year, but without enough infrastructure investment. It worked until it didn’t, which is now.

This accidentally-on-purpose ‘strategy’ of engineering low taxes with unfunded population growth happened because politicians and ultimately voters decided not to talk about or create population growth or infrastructure investment strategies. That was largely because it would become clear in the conversation that the 30/30/30 rule was unsustainable without higher user-pays charges and taxes on households, especially through wealth or capital gains taxes. That higher tax share of GDP for investment is needed to pay for higher levels of infrastructure spending that goes with this population growth, which was three times faster than officially forecast and still is.

Yet we just had another election, at least the fifth in 15 years, where the same accidentally-on-purpose strategy of unfunded population growth to keep taxes low on today’s home owners was adopted.

So how does this end? Tens of thousands of young renters are opting to leave the country and are being replaced by over 100,000 (net) new workers on temporary work visas. Taxpayers are now somewhat surprised and alarmed that the EDs are full when they need them, largely because politicians from both sides of Parliament assured them they could have it all: low taxes AND a fully publicly-funded hospital system.

Labour’s disintegration and reintegration of the DHBs into one national authority was the latest attempt to square an impossible circle by pretending more could be achieved by spending the same amount. Somehow, we are promised, less can be spent in the ‘back offices and we’ll get the same level of service at the front line.

The whistles of the escape valves in our political economy are;

• rising net migration rates of residents, including some of the 200,000 temporary workers awarded residency last year after the covid lockdowns;
  • more desperate pleas from nurses, doctors and administrators for help, while administrators and politicians limit spending growth on hospitals, staff and drugs to ensure their Budgets return to supluses; and,
  • the richest taxpayers will increasingly opt for private health insurance.1

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back