• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics đź—łď¸Ź NZ Politics

NZWarriors.com
Checkmate Kiwirail..

Can’t cost up new infrastructure. Can’t drive trains if the tracks get too hot. Now can’t drive a ferry straight!

Their incompetence is world leading.
No. Extremely poor decision making from Nicola Willis. National only care about short termism that benefits wealth extraction upwards.

Go back and look at the ferry deal and infrastructure package. Take the blinkers off. Long term solutions were in place as well as a cost effective package that would have set us up for the next 50 years.

That doesn't fit with the neolib narrative, so it must be torn apart. And has been. By the Nat/Act ideologues.

Underfunded for the last 40 years. Pillaged by Fay and Richwhite. Neoliberal greed has ruined our country's infrastructure.

Winston in 2001 - https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0107/S00263.htm

NZ rail were gutted by privatisation. By the neoliberals. They're doing it again.

The decisions made by this government are not for the good of all New Zealanders, only the wealthy few.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
My maths is is probably wrong but havent there been 7 Labour govt and 4 Nat govt is that time period?
And hard to put into perspective what was achievable in any of those terms by either party with what were the pressing factors at the time, like covid for labour or the gfc by national? Labour has been the first party to have the numbers to govern alone since mmp arrived and plenty are disappointed at how little they were able to change given that they had a clear majority but its also being smart enough to not rustle the feathers of your voter base with policies that have mixed feelings in the public and also not push away potential future coalition partners. Politics is all a game of smoke and mirrors and neither party are above this. I believe this is why we’ll see the rise in the minor party in the coming years because both major ones have had plenty of time to adjust changes where they say they’d like to but don’t that benefits the majority of the population. I can see the young people here gravitating to Chloe Swarbrick

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I actually reckon there is space, politically, for a green-minded party whose target remit is to be a part of every coalition government, with agreeable green policies that both sides can work with. That way, they can be a power broker and enact change that lasts more than a term.

But that would require someone brave (and resourced) enough to jump ship and come up against the greens

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I reckon she’d be better off branching off on her own party, and take the best and brightest with her.

Or take a scalpel through the greens, and shave out the divisive militants

Mind you, they still do well at the polls
Will be interesting to see the future for Marama Davidson with her unfortunate diagnosis of breast cancer but I think Swarbrick end up with enough clout to mould that party to her own

I actually reckon there is space, politically, for a green-minded party whose target remit is to be a part of every coalition government, with agreeable green policies that both sides can work with. That way, they can be a power broker and enact change that lasts more than a term.

But that would require someone brave (and resourced) enough to jump ship and come up against the greens
MMP makes things tricky because many hold the greens to contempt for not entertaining the thought of joining a national coalition, but the likes of act and NZ first makes that tough because they are so far apart on many issues

No. Extremely poor decision making from Nicola Willis. National only care about short termism that benefits wealth extraction upwards.

Go back and look at the ferry deal and infrastructure package. Take the blinkers off. Long term solutions were in place as well as a cost effective package that would have set us up for the next 50 years.

That doesn't fit with the neolib narrative, so it must be torn apart. And has been. By the Nat/Act ideologues.

Underfunded for the last 40 years. Pillaged by Fay and Richwhite. Neoliberal greed has ruined our country's infrastructure.

Winston in 2001 - https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0107/S00263.htm

NZ rail were gutted by privatisation. By the neoliberals. They're doing it again.

The decisions made by this government are not for the good of all New Zealanders, only the wealthy few.
They were building 100 year terminals on land that was going to be underwater in 50 years. If the new ferries were going to have a service life of 25-30 years, then that’s the resiliency they should build for. Why? Because who is to say that the next generation ferries after these ones will work with these terminals.

IMO, it’s not that we don’t need to upgrade the ferries and the terminals but that very fundamental mistakes were made in the original brief. While a lot of the world is moving away from having combined rail and road traffic ferries to dedicated road traffic and rail craft…. at a lower infrastructure costs, we/KiwiRail decided to go for a far more expensive option.

And, if you do believe me the rest of the world is moving away from combined rail/road transport ferries, why are the Korean shipbuilders concerned that they have been working on ships no one else wants?

Do you seriously think there isn’t an alternative plan being worked on that has the backing of the transport industry and will earn a superior return on capital invested?
Being worked on? Maybe, and superior return? For private investors most likely.

When the decision was made? No plan at all, just ideology.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Being worked on? Maybe, and superior return? For private investors most likely.

When the decision was made? No plan at all, just ideology.
An alternative is currently being worked on by Dr David Warburton…. formerly of Auckland Transport and CEO of Whanganui District Council.

Do you seriously think there isn’t an alternative plan being worked on that has the backing of the transport industry and will earn a superior return on capital invested?
Speaking as someone who is very senior in that industry I can honestly tell you that there is no plan to replace either the ferries or the port infrastructure (which is falling into the sea).

The ferry contract was a brilliant deal for the country but KiwiRail fucked up the port infrastructure pricing royally - refer my report to the minister 2020.

Camcelling the projects is gonna costs about $200m.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back