Warriors

Kickoff In:

Go Media Stadium

Friday
Night
20:00

Sharks

Team Lists

The oldest rookie in the NRL: How Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is approaching his second Warriors chapter​

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck might be the oldest rookie in the NRL.

He’s not new - of course - after a decorated league career but that was the approach taken at the start of his second Warriors chapter. Tuivasa-Sheck started preparing physically well before pre-season started, then reported for training a couple of weeks earlier than required.

That sounds like the enthusiasm of a teenager, though he felt there was no other way. He might be a club legend, a long-time former captain and a Dally M medallist, but there was a lot to prove.

“That was playing on my mind, I’ve got to come in and prove something,” Tuivasa-Sheck told the Big-League podcast. “I’m a rookie, trying to get on the team, at 30 years of age - that was my mindset”

That was also the underlying message from coach Andrew Webster, when they got together during the off-season break.

“He said ‘I want you to be that kid again, I want you to come in and learn and make this team again’ and that’s how I saw it,” said Tuivasa-Sheck.

The first step was physical preparation, with an aerobic and anaerobic base that would enable him to get the most out of pre-season.

“I had to come in fit and ready to go,” explained Tuivasa-Sheck. “I had to show the players and the coaches that I am ready to go. I had to come in and be fitter, be a lot more skillful, so I can catch up a lot quicker and not worry about ‘okay I can’t learn edge defence because I’m not fit enough’, or ‘I can’t learn to beat people if I can’t catch and pass’.”

It’s meticulous but typical of Tuivasa-Sheck. He also reshaped his body. Tuivasa-Sheck was around 95 kilos during his previous Warriors stint but got up to 100 kilos as a rugby midfield back. The sweet spot for centre in the NRL, he thinks, will be 97 kilos.

His main personal goal for the 2024 was simple; to secure a starting spot.

“I was nervous about getting a position here because you look at the boys and how they went last year,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “I was like, these guys are outstanding, I have to work my butt off to get in the picture.”

His position was never really in doubt but Tuivasa-Sheck has earned it , with his progress demonstrated in the pre-season trials. The real thing - starting with Cronulla on Friday night (8pm) - will be a much bigger challenge, especially as centre is probably the hardest defensive position.

But he should thrive, even if there might be some hiccups along the way. The adjustment has been tough, especially as the game has got faster since 2021, with the various rule changes while defending in the line offering different demands, with the constant need to get back 10 metres after each play.

Tuivasa-Sheck is aware of the talk about his potential as a fullback, especially after his 40-minute cameo there against the Dolphins, but is fixated with succeeding further out in the backline.

“Our coach has created this system and he sees me playing centre,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “I have bought in and I believe and across two trials it has worked... I’ve got to keep backing that. I believe in what he is trying to put out on the field, if I want to make that starting team and it is at centre, then I have to go for it.”

Tuivasa-Sheck is in a good place. The process of learning a new position has been stimulating, as someone who likes to “recreate” himself as an athlete each year. And he is enjoying being a senior player, without the burden of captaincy.

“It’s good,” he laughs. “I’m glad, real glad. More because Tohu [Harris] is doing a great job. He’s unreal. I am so happy for him. But the best thing is Tohu is not alone, there is so many of us around, Tohu doesn’t have to speak 24/7.”

At times during his previous stint it felt like Tuivasa-Sheck was carrying the team on his back, such was his capacity for work and determination to succeed. That’s still there but could manifest in a different way.

“This time round, I want to be able to help us win,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “The last few years I was here I can put my hand up and say I wasn’t doing it the right way maybe, me coming in and just putting it all out there wasn’t maybe the right way about it. I need to help this team and play my role.”

He has noticed a significant difference in the environment, noting the “buy-in and belief” within the squad, compared to previous eras he was involved in.

“The coaches have designed a system that they believe will work,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “During the whole pre-season, we stuck to it, we believed it and it showed, our seniors have bought in so as a junior, what do you do? You follow, you buy in. There is a huge buy-in and belief about what the coaches are putting on the table.”

Friday is the first litmus test. The return of Tuivasa-Sheck has already created headlines but there could be a lot to come, as he is expected to elevate the Warriors to a new level throughout 2024, allowing the “rookie” to add more lustre to the legend.

Mods, I’ve posted this here because it talks about RTS preparing for Round 1. If you feel it should be in the RTS, please move and sorry for the extra work.

Think that's a bit harsh on Ale.

He was thrown into a FG prop role with Barnett's injury last season when he is more of a 13/edge player atleast in the reggies he's played. Then played majority of the season with a busted knee.

I'm more on the side of if he can stay fit this could be a breakout year for him.
You are right but he needs to make the most of his chances now

The oldest rookie in the NRL: How Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is approaching his second Warriors chapter​

He’s not new - of course - after a decorated league career but that was the approach taken at the start of his second Warriors chapter. Tuivasa-Sheck started preparing physically well before pre-season started, then reported for training a couple of weeks earlier than required.

That sounds like the enthusiasm of a teenager, though he felt there was no other way. He might be a club legend, a long-time former captain and a Dally M medallist, but there was a lot to prove.

“That was playing on my mind, I’ve got to come in and prove something,” Tuivasa-Sheck told the Big-League podcast. “I’m a rookie, trying to get on the team, at 30 years of age - that was my mindset”

That was also the underlying message from coach Andrew Webster, when they got together during the off-season break.

“He said ‘I want you to be that kid again, I want you to come in and learn and make this team again’ and that’s how I saw it,” said Tuivasa-Sheck.

The first step was physical preparation, with an aerobic and anaerobic base that would enable him to get the most out of pre-season.

“I had to come in fit and ready to go,” explained Tuivasa-Sheck. “I had to show the players and the coaches that I am ready to go. I had to come in and be fitter, be a lot more skillful, so I can catch up a lot quicker and not worry about ‘okay I can’t learn edge defence because I’m not fit enough’, or ‘I can’t learn to beat people if I can’t catch and pass’.”

It’s meticulous but typical of Tuivasa-Sheck. He also reshaped his body. Tuivasa-Sheck was around 95 kilos during his previous Warriors stint but got up to 100 kilos as a rugby midfield back. The sweet spot for centre in the NRL, he thinks, will be 97 kilos.

“I was nervous about getting a position here because you look at the boys and how they went last year,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “I was like, these guys are outstanding, I have to work my butt off to get in the picture.”

His position was never really in doubt but Tuivasa-Sheck has earned it , with his progress demonstrated in the pre-season trials. The real thing - starting with Cronulla on Friday night (8pm) - will be a much bigger challenge, especially as centre is probably the hardest defensive position.

But he should thrive, even if there might be some hiccups along the way. The adjustment has been tough, especially as the game has got faster since 2021, with the various rule changes while defending in the line offering different demands, with the constant need to get back 10 metres after each play.

Tuivasa-Sheck is aware of the talk about his potential as a fullback, especially after his 40-minute cameo there against the Dolphins, but is fixated with succeeding further out in the backline.

“Our coach has created this system and he sees me playing centre,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “I have bought in and I believe and across two trials it has worked... I’ve got to keep backing that. I believe in what he is trying to put out on the field, if I want to make that starting team and it is at centre, then I have to go for it.”

Tuivasa-Sheck is in a good place. The process of learning a new position has been stimulating, as someone who likes to “recreate” himself as an athlete each year. And he is enjoying being a senior player, without the burden of captaincy.

“It’s good,” he laughs. “I’m glad, real glad. More because Tohu [Harris] is doing a great job. He’s unreal. I am so happy for him. But the best thing is Tohu is not alone, there is so many of us around, Tohu doesn’t have to speak 24/7.”

At times during his previous stint it felt like Tuivasa-Sheck was carrying the team on his back, such was his capacity for work and determination to succeed. That’s still there but could manifest in a different way.

“This time round, I want to be able to help us win,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “The last few years I was here I can put my hand up and say I wasn’t doing it the right way maybe, me coming in and just putting it all out there wasn’t maybe the right way about it. I need to help this team and play my role.”

He has noticed a significant difference in the environment, noting the “buy-in and belief” within the squad, compared to previous eras he was involved in.

“The coaches have designed a system that they believe will work,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “During the whole pre-season, we stuck to it, we believed it and it showed, our seniors have bought in so as a junior, what do you do? You follow, you buy in. There is a huge buy-in and belief about what the coaches are putting on the table.”

Friday is the first litmus test. The return of Tuivasa-Sheck has already created headlines but there could be a lot to come, as he is expected to elevate the Warriors to a new level throughout 2024, allowing the “rookie” to add more lustre to the legend.

Mods, I’ve posted this here because it talks about RTS preparing for Round 1. If you feel it should be in the RTS, please move and sorry for the extra work.

What am I reading 🤣

"His main personal goal for the 2024 was simple; to secure a starting spot...I was nervous about getting a position here because you look at the boys and how they went last year,” said Tuivasa-Sheck. “I was like, these guys are outstanding, I have to work my butt off to get in the picture.”"

"Tuivasa-Sheck was around 95 kilos during his previous Warriors stint but got up to 100 kilos as a rugby midfield back. The sweet spot for centre in the NRL, he thinks, will be 97 kilos."

I really wanna see RTS doing a AFB "are you not entertained" post try celebration lol, dude's so humble

#WahsSaveTheNewZealandMedia

This has me erect.

He's exceeding my expectations already. He looks very fit and hungry. Like SJ, when you don't carry the weight of the team, it can really free you up to win games, rather than just be competitive.
I knew what a great player he was & I was one who wasnt convinced he would reach the same high standards after a year on the dark side'.
Gotta hold my hands up.
Hes done everything expected & more.

Webster's show of faith priceless for Tuaupiki​

Corey Rosser

With Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad out injured to start the season, it would have been easy for Andrew Webster to hand the fullback job to the guy in his squad who has previously won a Dally M Medal and Golden Boot award in that position.

But instead of delaying Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's move to centre temporarily, he's put his faith in Taine Tuaupiki, the 24-year-old with five games to his name, who will begin his second season as an NRL player by fielding kicks from Nicho Hynes after being selected in the No.1 jersey to face the Sharks.

It's a selection call that tells you plenty about Tuaupiki as a player and perhaps even more about Webster as a coach.

"That faith in me was massive and to be honest Webby has probably given that confidence to everyone in the top 30 squad here," Tuaupiki told NRL.com ahead of Friday night's clash at Go Media Stadium.

"He showed it last year in Round 3 we had Charnze go down. We had someone like Te Maire (Martin) who has played fullback in the NRL, but he took the punt and gave me my debut because he had confidence in me.

"Not just Webby either – the players like Tohu (Harris) and Shaun (Johnson) – they are backing me as well, listening to me when I make calls and trusting me.

1709688637490.png

Tuaupiki started at fullback in both of the club's Pre-Season Challenge matches, but suffered a minor cork to his thigh in the win over the Dolphins and was taken from the field at half-time.

That presented Tuivasa-Sheck with an opportunity to run again in his old position and he impressed with some big defensive plays and high attacking involvement.

But rather than finding the presence of RTS intimidating, Tuaupiki says it motivates him.

"When I know Roger can pull things out like he did [against the Dolphins] at fullback it keeps on my toes, I know I have to play well," Tuaupiki said.

"Having someone like 'Rog' in there has been very good for me. I ask him a lot of questions, like I do with Charnze as well.

"I try not to tell them because you don't want to fan boy, but I have these moments with him and probably Shaun as well, it is pretty humbling seeing those guys all the time.

"I know 14-year-old Taine would be pretty happy right now."

1709688736664.png

After earning a one-year deal via a train-and-trial contract at the start of last season, Tuaupiki has now signed on for the next two seasons with the Warriors.

While he accepts his path to being a full-time starting fullback at the Warriors will be blocked while Nicoll-Klokstad is on the roster, he's confident Auckland is the best place for him at this stage of his career.

"My parents are in Australia but all the rest of my whānau (family) are in New Zealand, so my football is good, my life outside of football is good, everything is just happy at the moment," he said.

"I have still got a lot of work to do, I don't know if too many clubs would have wanted me as a first choice at the moment anyway, but that's what I want to try and get out of this year.

"Keep working hard and when I get my opportunities take them with both hands, while learning from having Rog and Charnze here."

Webster's show of faith priceless for Tuaupiki​

Corey Rosser

With Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad out injured to start the season, it would have been easy for Andrew Webster to hand the fullback job to the guy in his squad who has previously won a Dally M Medal and Golden Boot award in that position.

But instead of delaying Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's move to centre temporarily, he's put his faith in Taine Tuaupiki, the 24-year-old with five games to his name, who will begin his second season as an NRL player by fielding kicks from Nicho Hynes after being selected in the No.1 jersey to face the Sharks.

It's a selection call that tells you plenty about Tuaupiki as a player and perhaps even more about Webster as a coach.

"That faith in me was massive and to be honest Webby has probably given that confidence to everyone in the top 30 squad here," Tuaupiki told NRL.com ahead of Friday night's clash at Go Media Stadium.

"He showed it last year in Round 3 we had Charnze go down. We had someone like Te Maire (Martin) who has played fullback in the NRL, but he took the punt and gave me my debut because he had confidence in me.

"Not just Webby either – the players like Tohu (Harris) and Shaun (Johnson) – they are backing me as well, listening to me when I make calls and trusting me.

View attachment 5586

Tuaupiki started at fullback in both of the club's Pre-Season Challenge matches, but suffered a minor cork to his thigh in the win over the Dolphins and was taken from the field at half-time.

That presented Tuivasa-Sheck with an opportunity to run again in his old position and he impressed with some big defensive plays and high attacking involvement.

But rather than finding the presence of RTS intimidating, Tuaupiki says it motivates him.

"When I know Roger can pull things out like he did [against the Dolphins] at fullback it keeps on my toes, I know I have to play well," Tuaupiki said.

"Having someone like 'Rog' in there has been very good for me. I ask him a lot of questions, like I do with Charnze as well.

"I try not to tell them because you don't want to fan boy, but I have these moments with him and probably Shaun as well, it is pretty humbling seeing those guys all the time.

"I know 14-year-old Taine would be pretty happy right now."

View attachment 5587

After earning a one-year deal via a train-and-trial contract at the start of last season, Tuaupiki has now signed on for the next two seasons with the Warriors.

While he accepts his path to being a full-time starting fullback at the Warriors will be blocked while Nicoll-Klokstad is on the roster, he's confident Auckland is the best place for him at this stage of his career.

"My parents are in Australia but all the rest of my whānau (family) are in New Zealand, so my football is good, my life outside of football is good, everything is just happy at the moment," he said.

"I have still got a lot of work to do, I don't know if too many clubs would have wanted me as a first choice at the moment anyway, but that's what I want to try and get out of this year.

"Keep working hard and when I get my opportunities take them with both hands, while learning from having Rog and Charnze here."

Love this kid,.

So calm and mature for his age.

Safe under the high ball, not afraid to hit the line and more than adequate on D.

Wish him well on Friday night. Hope he has a big one. 💪

Man, just rewatched a few individual highlight reels of some of our players……and game highlights from 2023. We’ve got even more x-factor right across the park this year.

We’ve got great players & coach with upstanding personal character(s) on & off the field in our team…..we’re lucky to have next to no halfwits yet they play out of their skin for one another and the Mighty Warriors jersey…..It counts for a lot.

We’ve got a great team folks, my anticipation this season is fizzing…..

I’ve got high expectations for once and I expect us to finish top four.

I’ll take it up a notch and expect a GF appearance at the least.

We can go all the way, the hype is real and deserved this time around.

Never say never.

Man, just rewatched a few individual highlight reels of some of our players……and game highlights from 2023. We’ve got even more x-factor right across the park this year.

We’ve got great players & coach with upstanding personal character(s) on & off the field in our team…..we’re lucky to have next to no halfwits yet they play out of their skin for one another and the Mighty Warriors jersey…..It counts for a lot.

Never say never.
Even blocker roach sees us going better than last year. Better than the semi final surely means the grand final

Never say never.
Great post.
And please stop knocking our/your own players .

Last edited:
Back