Warriors

Kickoff In:

Go Media Stadium

Saturday
Night
19:30

Storm

Team Lists

Chanel is already effective at 6 and he is forming a productive partnership with TMM in the halves. Why would you take him out of there?
I know that I'm dreaming and that Johnson and TMM will be the halves but one can only hope Webby stands Johnson down for a bit longer
Pretty simple, because Johnson is a lot better than Chanel.

Johnson in that losing streak couldn't get us across the stripe if his life depended on it and now we are bringing him back.
I don't think it was all Shaun's fault. I think all the oppositions had studied tape on Shaun and there were guys in the defensive line who just sprinted at Shaun on the 4th and 5th tackle in the red zone because guess who was going to get the ball?

I’m less confident in this game than I was against the panthers. I think it will be close I just hope a stupid ref call at the end doesn’t kill us, like other games against the storm.

It will be a very interesting watch though to see how the half’s go. If they actually get the balance right it could be bloody amazing!!!!
Wow that's saying a lot. But I hear ya. A key point is to take nothing for granted. Make no excuses. Stay disciplined and focused and go ahead and destroy the competition front runners.

Johnson in that losing streak couldn't get us across the stripe if his life depended on it and now we are bringing him back.
I don't think it was all Shaun's fault. I think all the oppositions had studied tape on Shaun and there were guys in the defensive line who just sprinted at Shaun on the 4th and 5th tackle in the red zone because guess who was going to get the ball?
Nobody could get us across that line during that poor results block. We are not at high risk of SJ turning our team toxic. I believe Webby and the team (including SJ) have held solid as shown by Addin's attitude adjustment. I'm getting more confident the closer the game gets.

If he’s really playing shit, CHT is on the bench

When Johnson is on and everything is going his way absolutely no question about it.
But when it's a grind and the opposition are in his face and pressuring him he struggles to come up with the goods. He's no Adam Reynolds or Mitchell Moses.
Harris-Tevita may not have the same highlights reel as SJ but he doesn't have the same lowlights reel either. CHT is tough, he has a good footy brain, hes reliable, and he gives it 100% every game. I like players like that

When Johnson is on and everything is going his way absolutely no question about it.
But when it's a grind and the opposition are in his face and pressuring him he struggles to come up with the goods. He's no Adam Reynolds or Mitchell Moses.
Harris-Tevita may not have the same highlights reel as SJ but he doesn't have the same lowlights reel either. CHT is tough, he has a good footy brain, hes reliable, and he gives it 100% every game. I like players like that
With how public this game has become about the length of time without beating the storm, I think they’re going to be really zoned in for this one, even the tab knows it. When do you see the 10th placed team and the leader of the table with nothing between them? I think we could see something special 🤞

Adam Reynolds and Mitch Moses also struggle behind beaten packs. In fact, pretty much all halves do.

I don't care about highlight reel plays, that's not SJs game these days anyway. SJ doesn't have much of a lowlight reel either.

Chanel was one of our main halves between 2019 - 2021, how did his good footy brain, reliability and 100% effort help us then?
I love Chanel for what he brings but to suggest he's a better player than SJ is crazy.

Its the usual suspects youve got to watch out for playing the Storm - Harry Grant, Hughes, big Nelson. But Katoa is one thats killing it this year as well. They've got some real nice edge plays designed to isolate the halfback so he gets them in a 1 on 1. Think our guard dogs (Niukore and Barnett) may have to stay pretty connected to the edges on their spreads.

Adam Reynolds and Mitch Moses also struggle behind beaten packs. In fact, pretty much all halves do.

I don't care about highlight reel plays, that's not SJs game these days anyway. SJ doesn't have much of a lowlight reel either.

Chanel was one of our main halves between 2019 - 2021, how did his good footy brain, reliability and 100% effort help us then?
I love Chanel for what he brings but to suggest he's a better player than SJ is crazy.
As I have said many times before, Professional coaches pick better teams than fans do. Even if some of us fans would pick SJ at 6 or put him on the bench or some other idea definitely the percentage play is to pick him and Webster plays the percentages.
Time to rally around the team now. We are all behind SJ despite last minute cold feet. He is our old dog in the fight.
Kia Kaha Warriors - I will be behind you one hundred percent tomorrow night.

Last edited:
As I have said many times before, Professional coaches pick better teams than fans do. Even if some of us fans would pick SJ at 6 or put him on the bench or some other idea definitely the percentage play is to pick him and Webster plays the percentages.
Time to rally around the team now. We are all behind SJ despite last minute cold feet. He is our old dog in the fight.
Kia Kaha Warriors - I will be behind you one percent tomorrow night.
What a sad guy!

By the time the ball is kicked off at Go Media Stadium on Saturday afternoon it will have been 3,261 days since the Warriors last beat the Storm, marking the longest active head-to-head losing streak in the NRL.

Halfback Shaun Johnson is the lone Warrior who remains from that 2015 side which won 28-14 – a game best remembered for a remarkable feat of athleticism by hooker Nathan Friend – while the Kiwi side’s current captain Tohu Harris was also present on the day, albeit in a Melbourne jersey.

Fifteen encounters between the two clubs have followed since, all going the way of the Storm, which most recently included a miraculous comeback win in which they scored 12 points in the final two minutes.

To rub even more salt into the wound, the Warriors weren’t even the last team to beat Craig Bellamy’s men in Auckland, with that honour instead belonging to the Wests Tigers, who were 11-10 winners over Melbourne in a double-header played there back in 2018.

nrl24_losingstreak_1.jpg

But with three-straight wins to their name, a squad that is almost back to full strength and the recent experience of having all but beaten the Storm in Melbourne, the Warriors are perhaps better placed than ever to finally end the drought.

“Someone gave me a history lesson around some other team this year [who we hadn’t beaten in a long time] and we beat them,” coach Andrew Webster said matter-of-factly.

“We respect who we play every week, we know they [the Storm] are a great side.

nrl24_losingstreak_2-1.jpg

“I thought we were very good against them last time, but that doesn’t guarantee we are going to be good again. We have got to go after it.”

Hooker Wayde Egan joked this week that footage of Xavier Coates’ gravity defying match-winner from Round 2 had been censored in New Zealand, admitting “I think it scarred a few boys”.

Coates with the best match winner you have ever seen

While the Warriors have endured lean periods against plenty of opponents in their 30-season history, including losing their first 11 games against the Broncos, nothing can match the block they have when it comes to the Storm.

Former Warriors winger Jonathan Wright, whose role in that 2015 victory was one of just two wins he enjoyed over the Storm in 10 attempts, said it's true that the mere sight of the Storm logo on the NRL draw has a negative psychological impact on some players.

"Teams psych themselves out before playing them. 100 percent," Wright says.

"Some players will say 'oh it's nothing' but as I've learned more about the mind and how self-doubt works, if the belief isn't there then you're in trouble.

"If you're a senior player then you're busy trying to motivate everyone else for it and get them in the right mindset.

“Melbourne has this against a lot of clubs; no matter where I was playing, they were my bogey team.

"If you've got a good record against Melbourne then you must be going pretty well."

Saturday's clash at Go Media Stadium will be the eighth-straight home game the Warriors have sold out in 2024, with their next Auckland clash against the Broncos on June 29 having already reached capacity as well.

Where abouts did the PEOPLE'S CHAMP spring up from?

I like effort players like CHT. If you want a highlight for him just imagine a Scorpion kick by him.

Nobody is really a great half under pressure in the modern game. Remember Cleary's inability to dominate Origin when he started? SJ also doesn't have the highlights anymore and HAS to rely on older bloke strengths. Let's see how he goes and if he can contribute to us putting a 50 point walloping on Mowbin. Or a one point battle victory for that matter.

Kia Kaha Warriors - I will be behind you one hundred percent tomorrow night.

I see you are getting grief for comparing CHT to Johnson.

Johnson is a better player.

CHT maybe the better foil for TMM.

There is the difference we are all waiting to see this weekend.

Back