General Warriors Junior Pathways

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to follow these young guys from a distance and I'm definitely no expert, but he's an out and out winger for mine.
Agreed. He was St Pauls best player and rugby wingers hardly touch the ball so it made sense that they played him 2 or 3 in.

Surprised not to see Jackson Stewart in the Ball side
Tbh I think he'd find it hard to get picked. Of the two centres picked ahead of him, one is an Chiefs U18 rep and the other, Hiraka, is probably one of the top year 12's in the country last year for first XV.

A couple of games I saw Rodney Tuipolotu-Vea play for Auckland 12-18 months ago he looked damaging as did Kaylis Fatialofa
Looking forward to see how they go this season and if they can continue to evolve.
I haven't seen any age group football for many years.
My cousin coached a North Sydney age group side that included some future stars, Larsen, Florimo from memory.
Anyway, the focus was always on defense and structure. Training was a serious affair.
Later on he coached an Auckland under 16 side. Some came to trials without boots. Had a giant side with great raw athletes but little structure and discipline to work with and not that interested in defense. A couple went on to have professional football careers.
With the demise of age group football in NZ, has this improved, or , do we mainly pick up athletes from secondary school rugby where training and discipline is part of the scene.

I haven't seen any age group football for many years.
My cousin coached a North Sydney age group side that included some future stars, Larsen, Florimo from memory.
Anyway, the focus was always on defense and structure. Training was a serious affair.
Later on he coached an Auckland under 16 side. Some came to trials without boots. Had a giant side with great raw athletes but little structure and discipline to work with and not that interested in defense. A couple went on to have professional football careers.
With the demise of age group football in NZ, has this improved, or , do we mainly pick up athletes from secondary school rugby where training and discipline is part of the scene.
From my experience, the youth rep team coaches primarily focus on defence and forming combinations. I think the days of picking 17 athletic back rowers and finding a spot for them are gone. There's still not enough halves here though, they all get snapped by other clubs and rugby at a young age. Some of the blame for that is junior footy reintroducing unlimited interchanges, that kills halves IMO.

From my experience, the youth rep team coaches primarily focus on defence and forming combinations. I think the days of picking 17 athletic back rowers and finding a spot for them are gone. There's still not enough halves here though, they all get snapped by other clubs and rugby at a young age. Some of the blame for that is junior footy reintroducing unlimited interchanges, that kills halves IMO.
Halves are defo a big problem. Hopefully we unearth some talent that wants to be a warrior for life. Need a top shelf half to win the comp and no top shelf Aussie halves would ever come here.

Halves are defo a big problem. Hopefully we unearth some talent that wants to be a warrior for life. Need a top shelf half to win the comp and no top shelf Aussie halves would ever come here.
Success in both rugby codes relies on good halves. The Warriors haven't been able to keep the best halves in NZ junior footy, even with their improved pathways.

They get smashed out of the game at a young age here and those that stay with league have the body type of a 13. They can have all the playmaking skills but they'll always lack the speed and agility of a smaller half.

The game has changed, halves have less involvement than they used to. In rugby, the halfback and fly half touch the ball at least once in every phase and aren't expected to tackle much. League generally has 3 or 4 plays go straight to a forward for a hit up and the halves and backs might see the ball twice in a set. Metcalf would be lucky to see the ball once in every 3 attacking sets. And they're expected to make 20ish tackles a game, usually on a forward twice their size. You can see why we lose halves to rugby.

Last edited:
Jesse Soric, Hanson from Penrith, if we become a powerhouse team we might be an increasingly attractive option for young aussie halves maybe?
Meet a local girl, fall in love, next thing you know they're Wahs for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.