General Warriors Harold Matthews 2025

mt.wellington

Contributor
Warriors Harold Matthews 2025

2024 Warriors U14.jpg

Thought I would start this thread up early with a bit of goss.

Went and watched the Warriors U14 play Kotahitangi U14 at One Tree Hill College. Was amazed to see over 500 people there watching the game. Warriors team got thrashed 8 tries to 2. This was a warm up for Kotahitangi before they head off over the ditch for a 9 days to play the best and brightest Aussie has to offer.

Saw the usual suspects from the club. Cappy and Sponge. Roosters (Brent Webb and Leo) were there alongside the Rabbitohs pathways crew who had come up from Rotorua where they had helped sponsor the Maori league tourney they held over the weekend. Apparently former Warriors and current Rabbitoh Taane Milne has been instrumental in getting the Rabbitohs involved with local footy over here.

Anyway, a little bird told me that Jethro Friend has been signed to a 3 year deal to coach the HM team starting next year. No idea what that means for TJ but that's what I heard.

They have pretty much already penciled in their team for next season but the Warriors U14 squad were told in the sheds that everyone needed to aim up as some wouldn't be there next year. I'm thinking after they got belted today it might be a huge wake call for the Warriors and the boys themselves...

View attachment 7618

Went and watched the Warriors U14 play Kohitangi U14 at One Tree Hill College. Was amazed to see over 500 people there watching the game. Warriors team got thrashed 8 tries to 2. This was a warm up for Kohitangi before they head off over the ditch for a 9 days to play the best and brightest Aussie has to offer.

Saw the usual suspects from the club. Cappy and Sponge. Roosters (Brent Webb and Leo) were there alongside the Rabbitohs pathways crew who had come up from Rotorua where they had helped sponsor the Maori league tourney they held over the weekend. Apparently former Warriors and current Rabbitoh Taane Milne has been instrumental in getting the Rabbitohs involved with local footy over here.

Anyway, a little bird told me that Jethro Friend has been signed to a 3 year deal to coach the HM team starting next year. No idea what that means for TJ but that's what I heard.

They have pretty much already penciled in their team for next season but the Warriors U14 squad were told in the sheds that everyone needed to aim up as some wouldn't be there next year. I'm thinking after they got belted today it might be a huge wake call for the Warriors and the boys themselves...
I would hope to see TJ get the SG Ball team and rise up with the kids he coached this season?

Some names to keep an eye on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240603_202221_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240603_202221_Samsung Internet.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20240603_202129_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240603_202129_Samsung Internet.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 72

View attachment 7618

Went and watched the Warriors U14 play Kohitangi U14 at One Tree Hill College. Was amazed to see over 500 people there watching the game. Warriors team got thrashed 8 tries to 2. This was a warm up for Kohitangi before they head off over the ditch for a 9 days to play the best and brightest Aussie has to offer.

Some of the Warriors boys were playing for Kotahitanga. Same thing happened last year for that age group when they played a curtain raiser at Mt Smart, the Warriors team had to be filled with boys from outside the squad and some had to play out of position so Kotahitanga won convincingly. The 14s aren't eligible to play Matts until 2026 and none of them can be signed this year so they'll all be on notice. At least they're getting a warning this year. Playing well in the Rangatahi tournament and\or PYC tournament gives them a really good shot at being invited back. If a kid isn't eligible to play in either tournament then being a standout in school rugby is another way of being noticed.

If TJ isn't taking the Matts then he'll take the Ball squad I'm sure. Jethro's a good coach and I'm sure the rest of the coaches and support staff will still be there. This years Matts team set a high bar, half of them took out the 17s for Kotahitanga in Rotorua over the weekend. Kaawyn Patterson was named player of the tournament.

The 17s final is the last game in this livestream:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v88_PFQWq9E&t=32338s

Some of the Warriors boys were playing for Kotahitanga. Same thing happened last year for that age group when they played a curtain raiser at Mt Smart, the Warriors team had to be filled with boys from outside the squad and some had to play out of position so Kotahitanga won convincingly. The 14s aren't eligible to play Matts until 2026 and none of them can be signed this year so they'll all be on notice. At least they're getting a warning this year. Playing well in the Rangatahi tournament and\or PYC tournament gives them a really good shot at being invited back. If a kid isn't eligible to play in either tournament then being a standout in school rugby is another way of being noticed.

If TJ isn't taking the Matts then he'll take the Ball squad I'm sure. Jethro's a good coach and I'm sure the rest of the coaches and support staff will still be there. This years Matts team set a high bar, half of them took out the 17s for Kotahitanga in Rotorua over the weekend. Kaawyn Patterson was named player of the tournament.
Watched most of the games in Rotorua. Kaawyn was easily the player of the tournament. He's really impressive and has a huge engine. Going to be interesting watching him develop over the years. Definitely has NRL potential...

Watched most of the games in Rotorua. Kaawyn was easily the player of the tournament. He's really impressive and has a huge engine. Going to be interesting watching him develop over the years. Definitely has NRL potential...
Yeah I was sure he'd get it. Temahurehure, which was the u16s boys from Hokianga Storm, gave them a good test in the final but that one extra year made a difference.

I like that tournament but the 15s and 17s grades have been a shootout between the Hokianga and Kotahitanga for the last few years despite 22 plus teams entering in each grade and they keep meeting in the semis. Hokianga took the 14s and 15s last year and Kotahitanga took the 15s and 17s this year.

Last edited:
Yeah I was sure he'd get it. Temahurehure, which was the u16s boys from Hokianga Storm, gave them a good test in the final but that one extra year made a difference.

I like that tournament but the 15s and 17s grades have been a shootout between the Hokianga and Kotahitanga for the last few years despite 22 plus teams entering in each grade and they keep meeting in the semis. Hokianga took the 14s and 15s last year and Kotahitanga took the 15s and 17s this year.
They're just better funded and organized. They also recruit heavily from anywhere and anyone. You don't need to be Maori. As long as you're the best or near enough you will get shoulder tapped...

They're just better funded and organized. They also recruit heavily from anywhere and anyone. You don't need to be Maori. As long as you're the best or near enough you will get shoulder tapped...
The change to not needing to be Maori came in for Kotahitanga after they lost to Hokianga in both grades last year. I don't think Hokianga allow non Maori players yet.

I was thinking that was what was going to happen as he has to be in the mix somewhere after what his team achieved this season...
Will be interesting given majority of the SG ball team this year were U18 (another year left of SG ball) while pretty much all of the Matts side were U17 (progress to SG ball next year). Some of these guys are getting Jersey Flegg reps this year while still being eligible for SG ball next year

2025 SG ball side probably look like this (absolutely stacked btw)
  1. Kahu Capper
  2. Siale Pahulu*
  3. Nganatatafu Vake
  4. Hiraka Waitai-Haenga
  5. Kairus Booth*
  6. Maui Winitana-Patelesio
  7. Jack Thompson*
  8. Jason Salalilo
  9. Kaawyne Patterson*
  10. Francis Tuimauga
  11. Te Paeroa Wi Neera
  12. Lennox Tuiloma*
  13. Augustino Filipo (c)

14. Joseph Ratcliffe*
  15. Te Waaka Popata-Henare
  16. Dezman Laban*
  17. Junior Sikuvea

18. Ezekiel Davidson-Faaiuso*
  19. Ezekiel Faga-Ieti
  20. Hudsyn Frost*
  21. Meihana Pauling
  22. Jackson Stewart
  23. Lucky Kali
  24. Militoni Sikuvea*
*U18 in 2025 (another year eligibility left)

Last edited:
Will be interesting given majority of the SG ball team this year were U18 (another year left of SG ball) while pretty much all of the Matts side were U17 (progress to SG ball next year). Some of these guys are getting Jersey Flegg reps this year while still being eligible for SG ball next year

2025 SG ball side probably look like this (absolutely stacked btw)
  1. Kahu Capper
  2. Siale Pahulu*
  3. Nganatatafu Vake
  4. Hiraka Waitai-Haenga
  5. Kairus Booth*
  6. Maui Winitana-Patelesio
  7. Jack Thompson*
  8. Jason Salalilo
  9. Kaawyne Patterson*
  10. Francis Tuimauga
  11. Te Paeroa Wi Neera
  12. Lennox Tuiloma*
  13. Augustino Filipo (c)

14. Joseph Ratcliffe*
  15. Te Waaka Popata-Henare
  16. Dezman Laban*
  17. Junior Sikuvea

18. Ezekiel Davidson-Faaiuso*
  19. Ezekiel Faga-Ieti
  20. Hudsyn Frost*
  21. Meihana Pauling
  22. Jackson Stewart
  23. Lucky Kali
  24. Militoni Sikuvea*
*U18 in 2025 (another year eligibility left)
Radcliffe has to be the FB for me.

Last edited:
I reffed Kotahitanga on day 1.
Also did a quarter and a semi on day 2.
Reffed the Aussie team v Te Mahurehure in the semi.
Good to see most of the Matt’s boys popping up.
Kotahitanga were stacked and the others were spread around Awa, Hokianga and Te Mahurere.
They might as well just have the top five or six play round robin and then a final because the others have no chance anymore and the rest can all play in the development grade.

I reffed Kotahitanga on day 1.
Also did a quarter and a semi on day 2.
Reffed the Aussie team v Te Mahurehure in the semi.
Good to see most of the Matt’s boys popping up.
Kotahitanga were stacked and the others were spread around Awa, Hokianga and Te Mahurere.
They might as well just have the top five or six play round robin and then a final because the others have no chance anymore and the rest can all play in the development grade.
Some of those Te Mahurehure boys 16s came over from Wavell and Marsden to play for the weekend. Contracted to the Storm, Roosters and Broncos I think. Some of the boys in that team faced each other a month ago when the Auckland 16s beat Wavell in Brisbane. The Kotahitanga 16s played in the dev grade in the weekend and had at least one Wavell boy as well.

It's impressive how much bigger that Rangatahi tournament gets each year but the talent gap has grown wider as a result. Kotahitanga and Hokianga rack up big scores against the rest until they face each other and even teams travelling from Aus can't match it with them. It might need a grading system like you've suggested.

Rotorua is great place to hold the big league tournaments. Looking forward to the 16s nationals down there in October, lots of Matts boys will be there looking to impress.

Some of those Te Mahurehure boys 16s came over from Wavell and Marsden to play for the weekend. Contracted to the Storm, Roosters and Broncos I think. Some of the boys in that team faced each other a month ago when the Auckland 16s beat Wavell in Brisbane. The Kotahitanga 16s played in the dev grade in the weekend and had at least one Wavell boy as well.

It's impressive how much bigger that Rangatahi tournament gets each year but the talent gap has grown wider as a result. Kotahitanga and Hokianga rack up big scores against the rest until they face each other and even teams travelling from Aus can't match it with them. It might need a grading system like you've suggested.

Rotorua is great place to hold the big league tournaments. Looking forward to the 16s nationals down there in October, lots of Matts boys will be there looking to impress.
The local club Pikiao lost to the Aussie team by two points in the QF but scored more tries. They had 3 or 4 guys back from Oz to bolster them.
I think there were 7 teams good enough to be competitive in the 17s but yep put the rest in Dev.
If I do the National 16s and 18s or the Tuakana at Labour Weekend I will let you and Mt Wellington know so we can catch up. I may have even met you guys in passing. I have been at plenty of tournaments in Rotovegas.

Back