Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, S = Supplementary contract (Formerly, Development), T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 19/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Tohu Harris, Edward Kosi, Te Maire Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Who would you prefer 😏
I’d probably have kept Montoya over him. Never been a fan, great finisher but that’s not even half the game of being a winger.

I’ll go further and say that in my opinion, the Panthers releasing DWZ was one of the key decisions that turned that club around. No premiership winning team would have a turnstile like him on the wing.

Last edited:
I’d probably have kept Montoya over him. Never been a fan, great finisher but that’s not even half the game of being a winger.

I’ll go further and say that in my opinion, the Panthers releasing DWZ was one of the key decisions that turned that club around. No premiership winning team would have a turnstile like him on the wing.
Marcello Montoya
Tackles Made
Missed Tackles
Tackle Efficiency
78.6 percent

Dallin Watene Zelezniack
Tackles Made
Missed Tackles
Tackle Efficiency
79.6 percent

Dallin missed 11 more tackles, But made 48 more than Montz.
2024 - 22 games played
Tries
Try Assists
Line Breaks
Tackle Breaks
Average run metres
Total run metres

Montoya 2024 19 games
Tries
Attack
Try Assists
Line Breaks
Tackle Breaks
Average running metres
Total runs

I liked Monty. But It's not even a debate. We kept the better winger.

Marcello Montoya
Tackles Made
Missed Tackles
Tackle Efficiency
78.6 percent

Dallin Watene Zelezniack
Tackles Made
Missed Tackles
Tackle Efficiency
79.6 percent

2024 - 22 games played
Tries
Try Assists
Line Breaks
Tackle Breaks
Average run metres
Total run metres

Montoya 2024 19 games
Tries
Attack
Try Assists
Line Breaks
Tackle Breaks
Average running metres
Total runs

I'm not really interested in a debate on who is the better winger, but missed tackles is not a tell all statistic for wingers because you have to be marking the opposite winger to miss them. So often wingers leave their opposite unmarked. DWZ more than many.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Remember when Fusitua switched sides with Maumalo, complete reversal in try scoring frequency, fairly sure at least one of them got most tries in the NRL.
I don't think they ever switched sides - rather it was Hiku that switched from right to left centre from one year to the next. He played inside Fus in his big try scoring year and then inside Ken in his big year - said a lot about his ability to set up the outside man.

I don't think they ever switched sides - rather it was Hiku that switched from right to left centre from one year to the next. He played inside Fus in his big try scoring year and then inside Ken in his big year - said a lot about his ability to set up the outside man.
Yeah you could be right, it might have been Hiku switching. In any case, SJ has made a lot of wingers look a million dollars.

Marcello Montoya
Tackles Made
Missed Tackles
Tackle Efficiency
78.6 percent

Dallin Watene Zelezniack
Tackles Made
Missed Tackles
Tackle Efficiency
79.6 percent

2024 - 22 games played
Tries
Try Assists
Line Breaks
Tackle Breaks
Average run metres
Total run metres

Montoya 2024 19 games
Tries
Attack
Try Assists
Line Breaks
Tackle Breaks
Average running metres
Total runs

I’m not upset Montoya has gone, I don’t really rate either highly. Not a fan of RTS either, I’m just a downer on our current outside backs.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'm not really interested in a debate on who is the better winger, but missed tackles is not a tell all statistic for wingers because you have to be marking the opposite winger to miss them. So often wingers leave their opposite unmarked. DWZ more than many.
I'm not debating with you. Im saying Monty was as bad if not worse than Dallin. If you're going to have 2 useless defenders I'd at least keep the better attacking weapon. Which is Dallin

Last edited:
If we get the rest of the team sorted from forward platform to halves and centres execution.... he could stroll over for most of his tries.

About his defensive reads... Perhaps he should be fullback....? That's actually a question. Would he be a better defensive and attacking weapon from fullback? CNK to centre? Rocco any good as a wing?
I think Rocco to wing is a option, good speed just needs some open space to show his goods.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I’m not upset Montoya has gone, I don’t really rate either highly. Not a fan of RTS either, I’m just a downer on our current outside backs.
Mate, I'm a bit depressed on the same subject - our wingers - lol. Rts is not the answer. Dallin can defend. But he never trusts his insides. When Rocco was going gang busters is when we saw the best of Dallin defensively. And he likes the odd lazy shit tackle. I was meh either way if we kept or lost him. We def need some bitch be gone speed on the other side.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
There will be 6 regular starting wingers in the NRL next year *who will be 30 or older, and we account for two of them, and of the other four, two are about to be kicked to the curb by their clubs

For me, it's not the idea of extending him that is the issue, its that we would do it for two years, before preseason has even started, when he still has a year to run.. Who were we possibly afraid of competing with? Some team in the Super League?? Catalans wing situation is sorted, so it's not like the allure of southern France is on the table anymore.

*edit: age

Last edited:
Back