• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 13/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Sifakula (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Props;
JFH, Barnett, Marata, Ale, Sifakula, Afoa, Maiúu
Locks;
Harris, Walker, Clark
Second Rowers;
Capewell, Ford, Halamisia, Laban

Real quick exercise, but basically our props/middles are stacked number wise. Barnett might play lock next year looking at it, and Ford perhaps front row.. If Harris is fit, I expect him to be starting at lock or prop, him and Barnett will do a similar job. I think everyone here has forgotten about Tohu's ball playing, I wouldn't write him off. There is a lot of combo options available, but if everyone is on the park at the start of the season our pack is pretty easy to pick except for Capewell's opposite second rower.

JFH
Egan
Barnett
Capewell
Laban/Halamasia (I think we really need some youth in the pack, really hope one of these guys steps up)
Harris

Clark
Walker
Ford
Niukore

Sifakula/Ale/Afoa/Zion

Is Afoa getting much game time? Probably not. Is he on much money? Don't think so. I don't think there is any point in letting him go unless we really need his roster spot for another position, and have a signing lined up.

Great timing to get Thompson bros for 2026 if it works out, Leo to be the spearhead entering his prime, Barney and JFH starting to come down from their alpha peak so can be amazing supporting players, Sifakula/Zyon Maiu’u etc got 2025 another year of development to become regular FGers in 2026
I thought that article I posted last week about whether Leo Thompson’s brother could hold the keys to his future. As it stands I can’t see anywhere officially that Tyrone Thompson is on a development contract at the knights next year, though their forum believes he is. If Leo were to sign elsewhere after November 1, the knights could see it worthless to persevere with Tyrone knowing that he’s going to leave with his brother in 2026? Being that the knights have Leo Thompson on a salary that’s a win for them next year, I would doubt they’d let him walk early, but if there’s no upside in developing his brother for a year, they may just cut their losses? I see Mat Croker has been told by knights he won’t be extended, had seen somewhere that he was going to tigers but I think there’s a lot of fast changing negotiations going on

Reactions: CWC
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I thought that article I posted last week about whether Leo Thompson’s brother could hold the keys to his future. As it stands I can’t see anywhere officially that Tyrone Thompson is on a development contract at the knights next year, though their forum believes he is. If Leo were to sign elsewhere after November 1, the knights could see it worthless to persevere with Tyrone knowing that he’s going to leave with his brother in 2026? Being that the knights have Leo Thompson on a salary that’s a win for them next year, I would doubt they’d let him walk early, but if there’s no upside in developing his brother for a year, they may just cut their losses? I see Mat Croker has been told by knights he won’t be extended, had seen somewhere that he was going to tigers but I think there’s a lot of fast changing negotiations going on
I heard (NRL 360?) that Leo roomed with JFH before the Kiwis/Kangaroos test last year. He came out of it a much improved player due to the latter's influence. The Warriors could do worse than pick him up

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Bloody hell, we're really cleaning house at the minute....
The Warriors have 13 players who will be free to negotiate with rival teams from November 1 for the 2026 season and onwards. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Te Maire Martinheadline this list.

But it also includes Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Edward Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, and Dylan Walker.

This is who’s free to negotiate from November. You’d have to think that Ford, like Montoya might be released if he can find a contract past next year being his final year? Ali Leiataua is the obvious one to get done asap. Perhaps Tuaupiki if he’s apart of their future plans

Think Barney at 13 could be the play, can then get this sort of succession plan going-

8. Fish
10. Marata
13. Barney
15. Harris (Last year of his deal, 33y/o)

8. Fish
10. A recruit (Or, just roll with Marata)
13. Barney
15. Marata

8. Fish
10. A recruit (Or, bring up a young guy from within)
13. Demitric (First year of any new deal he signs and going on 23 so primed for a bigger role)
15. Barney (Last year of his deal, 33y/o)

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I heard (NRL 360?) that Leo roomed with JFH before the Kiwis/Kangaroos test last year. He came out of it a much improved player due to the latter's influence. The Warriors could do worse than pick him up

This is from February, so hard to know if it’s still the case? I could see these two as a big part of our future if me managed to pick up Tyrone too. Would take a couple of years development probably, but I think these two could be what we thought the Kepu’s might be and more

Ford could be an 80min prop. Theres 4-5 players we should be letting go before him.
Depends who’s available. I think our young second rowers are far enough to be adequate cover on an edge, so to me Ford primarily prop that can cover second row at if needed. He’s likely to see first grade if injuries occur next year, or at best bench spot? I think if he was offered something better, the club wouldn’t stand in his way

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back