Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
As far as junior highlights packages go, is that really that impressive?

Half Jack Thompson's plays in the last two weeks alone in our Harold Matthews side look better than that.

And 3 year contract with guaranteed development contract in second year… I’m not convinced
I seen a comment here in Penrith Nathan said I'm not teaching him how to read a game he has to learn that himself. No wonder he moving to a club with a half may teach him.

Souths have given Lachlan Ilias permission to negotiate with other clubs after securing Lewis Dodd
Ilias would be perfect. We are never going to develop a half with his kicking game. His value is at an all-time low after bizarrely being made scapegoat.

We’d have four halves next year if SJ goes another year. CHT’s utility value is too important. I’d pay out TMM of his final year to get Ilias here next year.

Ilias would be perfect. We are never going to develop a half with his kicking game. His value is at an all-time low after bizarrely being made scapegoat.

We’d have four halves next year if SJ goes another year. CHT’s utility value is too important. I’d pay out TMM of his final year to get Ilias here next year.

What sort of contract? There is a lot of unknown with how he will come back from his injury.

Wouldn't be paying anyone out until you were sure he would be able to get back to top level

Yeah, interesting option. Our big issue without SJ is our kicking game, something Ilias can replicate. At some stage over the next year we have to lose TMM to develop one of these young halves. When the young guys can’t see an opportunity we will start to lose them. That Jack Thompson sure looks like a keeper.

Badel saying that Cobbo is on 650k this season with us. also saying that he could earn $1 million on the open market, but a deal in the vicinity of 800k a year will keep him with us.

Badel says the club are confident that we have the cap space to keep both Staggs and Cobbo.

Cobbo's manager, Tas Bartlett said:

“It would be a big move for Selwyn to go to Sydney, no doubt,” Cobbo’s agent Tas Bartlett said last month.

“I’ve had a few clubs ring me to talk about Selwyn, but I’ve been honest with them and said he’s not off-contract until 2025 and we’re not rushing anything.

“Some Queensland kids go down to Sydney and love it, others go down and hate it.

“If you suggested Selwyn going to Sydney two years ago when he first came off-contract, I wouldn’t have entertained it.

“But next year, he will be 23 and he will have been away from Cherbourg for five or six years.

“Selwyn has a partner and he is very settled in life away from football, so he has matured a lot.

“The Broncos have been very good to Selwyn. Until my client says I want to look around, then we’ll focus on the Broncos and look to get a deal done there as a priority.”

“This won’t be about money for Cobbo,” Bartlett said.

“He will earn the right money in Brisbane because of his brand and the third parties he has in the Indigenous community.

“I know if we go to the open market, Selwyn will attract $1 million offers, but if he decides he wants to stay at centre, we will look to get a new deal done earlier

Surely broncos are forced to release someone like Willison in order to hold onto Cobbo and Walsh? Whether there’s any truth to it, tigers forum reckons they’re in negotiations with Willison

Few other rumours floating around on different forums. Sounds like Jarome Hughes is definitely heading home to Queensland at the end of the year even if that rumour is being shot down. Sounds like the roosters are keen on Valentine Holmes and also Wayne Bennett apparently taking JMK with him to souths

I hope we are in negotiations with Willison as well.

tigerballs

Well-known member​

How can we have made him an offer for 26 when he can’t have an offer until Nov 1 this year? He is contracted until next year Willison so unless Broncos have given him permission to look elsewhere, we can’t make him an offer for 26.
Broncs know they can't keep him and may let him go early.

Rumour too on the roosters forum is that they are after Latrell Mitchell as a five eighth/centre and Kalyn Ponga. Not sure I buy the Mitchell one but I could believe the roosters chasing Ponga with all the money they are going to have

Yeah I saw they had like $4mil to splurge after a bunch of big names off contract. Will be really interesting to see if they can entice some of the big names

What's the deal with Angus Crichton? I was saying earlier on in the year when he was out of form we should look at him, however now he's in form again I imagine he's priced out of our bracket.

Yeah I saw they had like $4mil to splurge after a bunch of big names off contract. Will be really interesting to see if they can entice some of the big names

What's the deal with Angus Crichton? I was saying earlier on in the year when he was out of form we should look at him, however now he's in form again I imagine he's priced out of our bracket.
Sounds very much like Chrichton’s time is done there. Saw an article about him leaving his comfort zone and prepared to join a team who’s challenging. I mentioned it recently on here that I wondered if that could include us. He travelled with CHT amongst others after that last World Cup

Sounds very much like Chrichton’s time is done there. Saw an article about him leaving his comfort zone and prepared to join a team who’s challenging. I mentioned it recently on here that I wondered if that could include us. He travelled with CHT amongst others after that last World Cup
Isn't that when he lost his mind and had to be committed to a psych ward?

Obviously Crichton has some mental health demons but he is keen for an adventure and he is a hell of a solid player.. would welcome it personally. We could def afford him with a shuffle. I doubt the chooks would let anyone else go but with him he wants to get away so possible.

Obviously Crichton has some mental health demons but he is keen for an adventure and he is a hell of a solid player.. would welcome it personally. We could def afford him with a shuffle. I doubt the chooks would let anyone else go but with him he wants to get away so possible.
Was talk of a return to union but sounds like it’s fallen by the wayside? An edge that can play middle has huge upside for us if Laban can’t claim the spot just yet

He doesn’t have mental health issues. He took too many hallucinogenics.

Well if im missing the point entirely its because im finding things your stating incredibly contradictory making it hard to follow.

Well if they were getting velvet glove treatment wouldnt they be one of the lower teams for penalties conceded?

Why do u keep saying Storm are near the top of the penalty count? Their the same as us atm! Sitting 8th equal in a 17 team comp!
In fact the last 10 years the Storm have only been in the top 4 teams for penalties conceded 3 times!!

Dylan Walker blantantly kicking the ball away in the ruck in front of our posts in which the next set they score to lose us the halftime lead isnt "doubling down"......its just dumb! My ethos is.....stop doing dumb!

Look from what i think your trying to say is something like......if we give away lets say 3 penalties in a row for holding down in a tackle 2 seconds too long.....lets do exactly the same thing on the next play and hold down for even longer 4 seconds cause the refs arent going to penalize us cause they wont blow 4 in a row......something like that?

I dont know man i mean ill concede refs definitely do square ups, but for a structure orientated team who's attack is all based on winning the territory battle......and giving away penalties is what gave our opposition the momentum the last 2 games which we struggled to wrest back.....thats seems like the opposite of what we need to be doing.
I think the skill is in 'owning the ref'. Teams like melbourne seem to do this well, come out and immediately/agressively test the ref, yes they may get pinged early but now they have set the bar and the ref is now dancing to storm interpretations. As the game continues Storm get away with .5% more than the other team which end up with ref advantage. Just a theory