• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Worth a minimum contract you would think? Doesn't get himself in to trouble, good mentor for cup guys. It also doesn't take many injuries in the squad before our depth is really tested, as we found out this year. Always need a few experienced guys in cup to help bring the youth through
Really tough to say, could it have a factor if we recruited another front rower? I wonder if there’s a few factors at play. Could it be that Zyon Maiu’u needs more game time next year and he essentially takes Ale’s spot and Ale takes Bunty’s place in the top 30? Then there’s whether the club sees Sifakula as a middle or edge forward with him listed at both in recent times? Also Sifakula has a team option for his contract, what is a team option? I’ve seen club and player options, but never a team option?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I went here and it said club.
That’s an informative one. So as it stands we have Farr, Fukofuka and Moimoi for the club to make a decision on and whether they stay or in what capacity? When you consider Moimoi as another centre at the club, it really seems like 1 or 2 might need to transition to another position? Also on that list it indicated Jett Cleary has a top 30 contract in 2026 and 2027? And Pasikala for 2025, 2026 and 2027 and TSS on a top 30 contract next year? Thought it might not have listed development contracts, but strange it only lists Jett Cleary for 2026 and 2027?

Really tough to say, could it have a factor if we recruited another front rower? I wonder if there’s a few factors at play. Could it be that Zyon Maiu’u needs more game time next year and he essentially takes Ale’s spot and Ale takes Bunty’s place in the top 30? Then there’s whether the club sees Sifakula as a middle or edge forward with him listed at both in recent times? Also Sifakula has a team option for his contract, what is a team option? I’ve seen club and player options, but never a team option?
If those players earn it and deserve it and can stay injury free then they will get game time. As it stands now, a minimum wage for Bunty makes sense to me. The young guys need an older head in cup to help show the way.

Jazz is gone, there is one free spot. SJ as well. I'm sure if it's needed they will move Bunty on. Let's see what eventuates with additional signings before next season that may change the situation

That’s an informative one. So as it stands we have Farr, Fukofuka and Moimoi for the club to make a decision on and whether they stay or in what capacity? When you consider Moimoi as another centre at the club, it really seems like 1 or 2 might need to transition to another position? Also on that list it indicated Jett Cleary has a top 30 contract in 2026 and 2027? And Pasikala for 2025, 2026 and 2027 and TSS on a top 30 contract next year? Thought it might not have listed development contracts, but strange it only lists Jett Cleary for 2026 and 2027?
If you click on 2024 signings it shows the development players.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Team option and club option are one and the same. I'll update the wording so it is in-line with NRL.com though.

The updated NRL.com signings page doesn't differentiate between First Grade and Development contracted players like it used to, re: Jett and Pasikala.

As a side note, the reason why '25 isn't on there for Jett is that he is technically only on a trial deal for next year at this stage. But I have just put him down as a development list player on the pinned post

Team option and club option are one and the same. I'll update the wording so it is in-line with NRL.com though.

The updated NRL.com signings page doesn't differentiate between First Grade and Development contracted players like it used to, re: Jett and Pasikala.

As a side note, the reason why '25 isn't on there for Jett is that he is technically only on a trial deal for next year at this stage. But I have just put him down as a development list player on the pinned post
Thanks heaps for clearing all that up. Sorry for the confusion around the Sifakula club option, no need to change it as I’m obviously the only one a bit slow on the uptake

If those players earn it and deserve it and can stay injury free then they will get game time. As it stands now, a minimum wage for Bunty makes sense to me. The young guys need an older head in cup to help show the way.

Jazz is gone, there is one free spot. SJ as well. I'm sure if it's needed they will move Bunty on. Let's see what eventuates with additional signings before next season that may change the situation
Apparently every club needs a Bunty.
How many of them are chasing him.
Not knocking the guy but we need better to be competitive.
And wtf would we waste a spot in our 30
with a player to mentor the Cup team forwards. Dumb stuff

Last edited:
Apparently every club needs a Bunty.
How many of them are chasing him.
Not knocking the guy but we need better to be competitive.
And wtf would we waste a spot in our 30
with a player to mentor the Cup team forwards. Dumb stuff
Just a preference isn't it? When one of our front line guys goes down do you give a rookie long minutes and maybe many weeks in a row or do you have a dependable, but limited, veteran who you know can handle the rigor of week to week nrl.
I prefer the former option which has more risk but depending on the circumstances that might not work out as well.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Just a preference isn't it? When one of our front line guys goes down do you give a rookie long minutes and maybe many weeks in a row or do you have a dependable, but limited, veteran who you know can handle the rigor of week to week nrl.
I prefer the former option which has more risk but depending on the circumstances that might not work out as well.
We have spaces in the 30 available currently with 3 players moving on and so far only JFH as a new signing. Bunty is a very low risk, cheap option that can fill a role if required in first grade but could easily find he plays NSW cup all season,as well as being a good role model for the young guys. In most team sports you learn a lot from the older pros, even if they are limited in talent. The question would be whose spot is he taking that is better? If there is someone that is missing out then that's worth discussing and I'm confident the club will address that if it is the case, but currently it doesn't look like anyone is - I'm pretty sure we forced Setu Tu in to the 30 this season just to fill the roster. Maybe the 'experts' against Bunty being in the 30 could provide the answer?

We have spaces in the 30 available currently with 3 players moving on and so far only JFH as a new signing. Bunty is a very low risk, cheap option that can fill a role if required in first grade but could easily find he plays NSW cup all season,as well as being a good role model for the young guys. In most team sports you learn a lot from the older pros, even if they are limited in talent. The question would be whose spot is he taking that is better? If there is someone that is missing out then that's worth discussing and I'm confident the club will address that if it is the case, but currently it doesn't look like anyone is - I'm pretty sure we forced Setu Tu in to the 30 this season just to fill the roster. Maybe the 'experts' against Bunty being in the 30 could provide the answer?
For the future of the club I would rather have younger untested players being brought thru.
Doing the same thing is generally going to produce the same results.
Not knocking Bunty at all .Been a great club man but we need to look to the future whether thats our Juniors or signing prospects from other clubs.

For the future of the club I would rather have younger untested players being brought thru.
Doing the same thing is generally going to produce the same results.
Not knocking Bunty at all .Been a great club man but we need to look to the future whether thats our Juniors or signing prospects from other clubs.
Yeah but even if he plays cup it's good for the youth to have a pro to learn off and tbh he has been one of the best at cup

I find this post interesting with some valid points. It is entirely dependent on game plan. The bulldogs & the raiders game plan relies on their long kickers in burton/fogarty. The leagues longest kickers are katoa, sj, burton, Fogarty when looking at averages, so clearly our current game plan involves relying on a big boot to kick to corners, defend well & hope for errors.

Capewell mentioned it on a SEN podcast this week, that their plan in the first 20 mins is to attack with defence, redline and hope for errors from the opposition. This works, when the second 20 is error free and execution from the warriors happens. This hasn’t been happening with multiple errors on early tackles, or failure to execute on the 5th with repeat sets or try scoring opportunities.

However, observing the current game plan I would argue a long kicker is essential, as we have significant drop off after 25 mins, which is causing irreparable damage later in the game.
We dominate in the stats, field territory, completions etc, but we lack correct decision making on the final, that I totally agree with.

However when the tide turns, and our starting pack begin to falter after redlining the first 25mins, we need a plan B for exiting our territory, and under Metcalf/tmm/cht, we don’t have that.

If we are not going to rely on a long kicker, we need a total revamp of our game plan imo. Sj was actually leading kick metres prior to his injury, which reflects the game plan that webby has deployed. Dominate territory, attack with defence early & hope for errors and create opportunities.

Without SJ, this will not work any longer. Not saying we need a long kicker, but a change in game plan will be required if we opt for that route.
With our style of game play, I would have thought a tactical kicker would have been more effective. Grubbers, bananas, crossfield. not seeing much of that to take advantage of our ability to make running metres

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back