Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:

Apologies if this may have already been posted, but it certainly gives some direction and is quite clear as to what we all as fans think should be happening.

I think we go all out and build attractive propositions to bring home the amazing pool of Kiwis players back home and help build the Warriors club as a force!

It is interesting because there was mixed feelings in previous years regarding the difference between Kiwi based and Aussie-based players. Tables have certainly turned. No doubt that the skill has been extracted from being based in Australia, but maybe this is the way to work it. Those who we miss out on can apply their trade in Australian systems and then be brought back to a successful NZ club.

I agree, but still think we need to develop most of them ourselves.

Problem with bringing them back after they are established is you miss out on those years where they become genuine first grade players but they're still on their initial bargain contracts. Thats how you can get 400k value out of a 250k contract.

Even though they're Kiwis, their lives are still established in Aussie so we still have to pay overs to bring them home. Thats when you can end up with 500k of value costing you 600k etc

2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion

Confirmed Top 30: 25/30 (Unconfirmed 26/30)
Confirmed Development: 2/6 (Unconfirmed 6/6)
Unconfirmed: Luke Hanson signed from Panthers, Patrick Moimoi upgraded to Development, Leka Halasima upgraded to Development, Tanner Stowers-Smith upgraded to Development, Taine Tuaupiki option activated

2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion

Confirmed Top 30: 25/30 (Unconfirmed 26/30)
Confirmed Development: 2/6 (Unconfirmed 6/6)
Unconfirmed: Luke Hanson signed from Panthers, Patrick Moimoi upgraded to Development, Leka Halasima upgraded to Development, Tanner Stowers-Smith upgraded to Development, Taine Tuaupiki option activated

Journalism being outsourced to AI
IMG_2264.jpeg

The fact that Stuff thinks that they have information that 2 players are going to ask for a release, but haven't yet asked the club just makes no sense.
It’s too precise for there to be nothing in it. Specifically stating “two players” instead of the more vague - there could be more….
It could go nowhere but I’d say there are two players thinking about it.
You’d have to assume after the year we had all the agents will be looking for better deals back in Aussie, knowing they can play the compassionate grounds card.

It’s too precise for there to be nothing in it. Specifically stating “two players” instead of the more vague - there could be more….
It could go nowhere but I’d say there are two players thinking about it.
You’d have to assume after the year we had all the agents will be looking for better deals back in Aussie, knowing they can play the compassionate grounds card.
It's too precise? They've shared nothing lol.

They have told us nothing other than 2 players are considering asking for a release.

Where would that information have come from...actually? Nothing's previously been reported, no rumours or anything....so either two seperate players have gone to a media source in Stuff (or they've shared with mates who have gone to the source) to share that theyre thinking about leaving...and on both occasions the media have been honourable and chosen not to share thaf information with the public.

No way in hell. If someone told Stuff that Barney or Metcalf were thinking about leaving they would print that and look at all the clicks roll in for them. I call BS

For me this feels like shades of PJ Marsh and Grant Rovelli

Head coach comes over and brings with him a half that he's worked closely with to a team he's running.

Win win for mine! We also got the Queensland kid too didn't we?
Why do we need another half. Are the rumours true about Volkman and Metcalf then?

It's too precise? They've shared nothing lol.

They have told us nothing other than 2 players are considering asking for a release.

Where would that information have come from...actually? Nothing's previously been reported, no rumours or anything....so either two seperate players have gone to a media source in Stuff (or they've shared with mates who have gone to the source) to share that theyre thinking about leaving...and on both occasions the media have been honourable and chosen not to share thaf information with the public.

No way in hell. If someone told Stuff that Barney or Metcalf were thinking about leaving they would print that and look at all the clicks roll in for them. I call BS
So you think the journalist is just making up blatant lies for fun??

Like most things that come out in the media, it comes from player agents, playing a game to make more money.