International New Zealand Kiwis

Sad to see him go but it's the right call.

I don't understand the uproar - it's a massive conflict of interest to coach two rep teams where players are eligible for both until they pull on a jersey.

I actually commend the NZRL for having the guts to stand up for what they want. Madge talked a big game about sticking around but when push came to shove he has made his choice.

I'm not convinced the players went in to bat for him either, in fact it was noted that more than a few players were less than enthusiastic about him. But I'm no fan of player power and this was not player lead - them not fronting the board begging him to be kept is no sign of losing the dressing room.

I think the job should go to Stacey with Cayless as assistant. I can't see why Stacey would not be a great option given our most successful Kiwis coaches have been rather shit in week-to-week NRL, even Madge fell away.

Good on the NZRL for having the balls to give him an ultimatum. The conflict of interest in these 2 roles is clear as day. With the amount of junior talent that are eligble for both, I just dont see how he could in good conscience to either, try and push these players one way or another. Of course if NZers could play origin, then things would be different. Cheers Madge for all your work, but your on side with the enemy now.

Good on the NZRL for having the balls to give him an ultimatum. The conflict of interest in these 2 roles is clear as day. With the amount of junior talent that are eligble for both, I just dont see how he could in good conscience to either, try and push these players one way or another. Of course if NZers could play origin, then things would be different. Cheers Madge for all your work, but your on side with the enemy now.

I'm ok with this. With the quality of players we have at our disposal, It's not hard to coach this lot.
I was a fan of Kiwi coach Maguire. Not so much NSW /Kiwi Coach Maguire. Conflict of interest.
I would hope someone like Cleary or Webby could take over with someone like Benji Marshall.
The issue is ultimately likely to be whether a Kiwi coach is able to keep guys like Mulitalo or Leota or Isaako playing for us. Madge has credibility and connections. I'd love someone like Cleary, but suspect the TAB would give four-figure odds to one on that ever happening. It'll end up being some ex-Kiwi, and probably not one with coaching clout. I can see the Samoan Kiwis raised in Oz thinking, "Who's this clown? If I'm going to play for some rookie coach, I'd rather go down the heritage route." I think they should've given it a 1-year trial period. League's a small community: there are conflicts of interest all over the place. The guy had put in enough ground work with the Kiwis to warrant trusting for a trial at least.

They had Bluey on the radio today. Sounded like an ex NFL player with down syndrome that has suffered many multiple concussions over the statistical mean of all NFL players. He would be considered an outlier of the data. Anyway, he was pushing for a New Zealand coach, but seemed to struggle to name one, but then offered up Stacey Jones and he could surround himself with quality assistants. Maybe some Australian ones because they are usually very talented in the coaching space. He could do something like Kearney with Bennett.

Worst case scenario, we get Bluey with Nathan Brown as assistant.

Last edited:
The number of people on the radio who think Stacey's the answer is concerning. One punter on the radio put it succinctly: "When Stacey had interim charge of the Warriors in '22, he looked like a man with clinical depression. Two weeks into 2023 and he was reborn." In other words, the potential Kiwi coach with the most respect internationally, in all likelihood doesn't want to be a head coach. NZRL CEO Greg Peters was telling Jason Pine this arvo that "senior players weren't comfortable with Maguire holding both roles". I'd be really interested to know if that was the case. If true, then I'd be more accepting. But it smells funny. https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1012...on Pine&pname=podcast_profile&sc=widget_share

The number of people on the radio who think Stacey's the answer is concerning. One punter on the radio put it succinctly: "When Stacey had interim charge of the Warriors in '22, he looked like a man with clinical depression. Two weeks into 2023 and he was reborn." In other words, the potential Kiwi coach with the most respect internationally, in all likelihood doesn't want to be a head coach. NZRL CEO Greg Peters was telling Jason Pine this arvo that "senior players weren't comfortable with Maguire holding both roles". I'd be really interested to know if that was the case. If true, then I'd be more accepting. But it smells funny. https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1012-weekend-sport-28682347/?keyid[0]=Weekend Sport with Jason Pine&pname=podcast_profile&sc=widget_share

Pretty lazy type of comment without elaborating on the circumstances surrounding Staceys head coaching stint.

Week to week NRL head coaching is a completely different beast to Rep coaching.

It would surprise me greatly if Stacey didn't want the job and If Stacey wants the job I'll be astounded If he doesn't get it

Pretty lazy type of comment without elaborating on the circumstances surrounding Staceys head coaching stint.

Week to week NRL head coaching is a completely different beast to Rep coaching.

It would surprise me greatly if Stacey didn't want the job and If Stacey wants the job I'll be astounded If he doesn't get it
It's talkback radio mate. As with forums... lazy comments are the life blood running through the digital veins.

The issue is ultimately likely to be whether a Kiwi coach is able to keep guys like Mulitalo or Leota or Isaako playing for us. Madge has credibility and connections. I'd love someone like Cleary, but suspect the TAB would give four-figure odds to one on that ever happening. It'll end up being some ex-Kiwi, and probably not one with coaching clout. I can see the Samoan Kiwis raised in Oz thinking, "Who's this clown? If I'm going to play for some rookie coach, I'd rather go down the heritage route." I think they should've given it a 1-year trial period. League's a small community: there are conflicts of interest all over the place. The guy had put in enough ground work with the Kiwis to warrant trusting for a trial at least.
On the other side of this coin, think of all the nz eligble samoans then playing for NSW. Either way the rules fuck us, and it isnt NZRL fault. Surely you can see the issue with a guy preparing players to play for Australia, then coaching the kiwis a few weeks later. He was given an ultimatum and made his choice. Both parties have probably made the right choice.

Back