Social What are you reading?

Me mum worked with Witi at Auckland Uni in the English dept.
He can write, no doubt about it.

The Valley of the dolls is famous eh, Sharon Tate was in the movie of the same name, before those helter skelter nut jobs killed her and her baby eh.
Awful. I didn't know that. I was wondering why her name popped up in google when I searched valley of the dolls.

I think Lou Reed actually did have a cult like that down here, there were hundreds of us in Chch in the 80s, he was like our leader in the church of the velvet underground. Maybe I was in a cult now I think about it, we met every Friday night at this record store in the Square and discussed Lou's lyrics and book lists. That's where I met my first gf, a goth who thought bob dylan was a prophet, and within weeks I'd switched from the Lou Reed life to a full-time Dylan fan.
She had a huge effect on you. A goth thinking Bob Dylan is a prophet rather than Robert Smith is a hard case in the 80s. I had a similar fondness of Jim Morrison to yours of Lou Reed, though a huge fan of the velvet underground also. Morrison another extremely well read individual and wrote a couple of books himself, the lords and the new creatures is a book of mainly his poetry and another letters from Joe which is set around the bombing of pearl harbour. Very poor reader myself and put to shame by some of the lists of great literature that some have read on here

Last edited:
The Civil War, Shelby Foote.
Trilogy of more than a million words. Took 20 years to write. Took me a year to read the first time, just finished the first book second time round. Masterpiece if you want to go back into American history and culture.
Best crime book I've ever read, In Cold Blood, Truman Capote.

Last edited:
Jeez, trying my best not to get involved in this thread! 😵‍💫
I've been a prolific reader all my life and like a reformed addict, these days I try not to pick up a book because all else stops if I do. Literally (lol).
I will say this, the online reading experience is absolutely nothing like reading the printed word. Read a sientific study once 🤣 that described how the eye, and therefore the brain, sees each. The eye doesn't just read each word of a book, it takes a photograph of the paragraph, the page, and it gets stored in its whole context in your brain until the whole book is there. The more you read books the capacity for retention grows. Reading while scrolling negates that function to a large degree, its like skimming and receiving bits rather than depth and comprehension. Expedience aside, its not the same experience.
Interesting to see peoples choices of books and authors I must say too.

Will add to the above that this is one of the downsides of the technolagy age. Our kids today lack the capacity to focus and retain information because so much of their 'education' comes to them via a screen.

I've been a prolific reader all my life and like a reformed addict, these days I try not to pick up a book because all else stops if I do. Literally (lol).
I will say this, the online reading experience is absolutely nothing like reading the printed word. Read a sientific study once 🤣 that described how the eye, and therefore the brain, sees each. The eye doesn't just read each word of a book, it takes a photograph of the paragraph, the page, and it gets stored in its whole context in your brain until the whole book is there. The more you read books the capacity for retention grows. Reading while scrolling negates that function to a large degree, its like skimming and receiving bits rather than depth and comprehension. Expedience aside, its not the same experience.
So the study says the brain can't take in a picture of a page on a tablet in the same way as on paper? Wonder why that is.

I like books, alcohol and league!

Current view....

Attachments

• 20240425_152948-1.jpg
    20240425_152948-1.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 12
How does everyone read. Are you still reading traditional phyical books or moved to electronic?

The last books I brought I was thinking it was good as I got the bigger editions as I usually get the smaller hand sized books which are good for travelling. I was looking at the bookcase thinking man they take up a lot of room. They were both books from different trilogies so I was thinking do I get the other 2 at the same size. Buying them on line they just happened to be that size and a price point I was okay with.

I've started getting more electronic as I was getting comic sets and it was easier to get an entire run. Also got a few books digitally and it is just a case of organising the collections instead of different sized books in a book case.

Travelling it means taking the tablet and trying to ensure it has enough battery. The smaller books might get a re-read for travelling.

The other advantage like buying video games online. If you need something or want a book to read while on holiday or finished a story that leads to another one. You can get them pretty much instantly.
I have a mixed way of reading, novels I have to read a physical book- not sure why but I did try e-books and I just didn’t like it.
Comics/Graphic novels I read on my tablet, much easier to get runs and some of the subscription services for it make it much more economical

Last edited:
So the study says the brain can't take in a picture of a page on a tablet in the same way as on paper? Wonder why that is.
There are quite a few studies on it and the link below is one of them. Will try to find the one I was quoting and post the link. Apopo 😆 my concentration is a bit impaired atm

There are quite a few studies on it and the link below is one of them. Will try to find the one I was quoting and post the link. Apopo 😆 my concentration is a bit impaired atm
I'm too impaired to read it now anyway bro. What am I reading? I'm reading about reading about reading on my phone, like meta-reading. I'm talking Neil from the Young Ones impaired.

Sports and Hitler, my two favourite subjects. Seen the movie? Is it any good
Some say the book was written for the purpose of being a movie as some books are (like Grisham books) but I read it before it was a movie. Still had some nuances that the movie misses like others. Not a big book but worth the read.
The best book I've read that was made into a movie and both were great was One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. The book was written from the point of view of Chief Broom so quite different to Jack Nicholson in the movie. Written in the 'psychedelic era' Kessey supposedly wrote it under the influence. Great movie, great book.
But I digress. The Boys in the Boat came to mind because of the Warriors 🙂 its one of the reasons I don't really care if they get a Premiership 🤣 (shock horror!) even though I'd love them to!

Last edited:
love it mate, reading is the bees knees!
I feel privileged my parents urged me to read, absolutely the best referral I ever got! To read Dickens (my favourite), Tolstoy, Courtney, Duff, Clancy, Robbins, Greene, Crump… The library is so underrated!

Last edited:
Back