• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

NRL Should the NRL move towards a hybrid NFL approach for safety gear?

More safety gear

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Maybe - please explain

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Beastmode

Contributor
CTE, concussion and head knocks.
It’s a large deterrent for many parents when it comes to kids playing the sport.

Are you in favour of more padding and possibly mandatory headgear, moving closer towards a safety helmet type protection similar to the NFL or think it only leads to more serious injuries.

I’m on the fence here. I see merits on both sides but if the game is to ever grow the safety concerns have to be addressed and not swept under the carpet with more subjective rules and adjudicating by the ref.

NZWarriors.com
The woodpecker theory is still doing the rounds. https://www.science.org/content/article/could-woodpeckers-teach-nfl-how-prevent-brain-injuries

One concept from a few years ago was a neckband that mimicked how woodpeckers keep fluid around the brain while banging their heads on trees. It seemed to test positively as a concept but I haven’t seen any further progress.

Maybe make a limit of HIA's or concussions per year or cumulative then mandatory season stand down. Could be manipulated by opposing teams I suppose but things must improve

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Headgear doesn't stop concussion. If you search up NFL and CTE there is a lot.

You want less cte, then you go AFL route and no tackling above the waist.
Would there still be hit ups? How do you stop them without diving at their legs. CWC is right, might as well just play NFL like the broncs do.

Headgear doesn't stop concussion. If you search up NFL and CTE there is a lot.

You want less cte, then you go AFL route and no tackling above the waist.

There's a crap tonne of above waist tackling that is let slide though.

Plus they just bump each other.

if there a piece of equipment that actually made contact safer and didn't impinge on freedom of movement i'd be for it, but there's a lot of conflicting evidence in this area ... eg headgear (as it's currently used) is pretty much for cut protection and confidence ...

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
They should move to stronger concussion protocols IMO. MMA has a 30 day no contact training stand down for concussion and 90 days if you lose consciousness. You just have to look at retired rugby league and rugby players with higher than average neurological problems and know that continuous head knocks is an issue.
I would look at least doubling the amount of time players are stood down for an HIA and tripling it if knocked out. For the player that caused the damage they need to be stood down for the same amount of time as a minimum. Would then look at changing the amount of first grade players from 30 to say 33 with players being out longer.

I would look at least doubling the amount of time players are stood down for an HIA and tripling it if knocked out.

I definitely agree that they should go overkill on HIAs, not just if they're knocked out.

This year I've noticed that Hammy's and leg injuries have been a big knock out for us. But I don't seem to remember them being as common in previous years.

Wonder why that is...

Back