Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
He's been offered job security for 3 years compared to the 1 year he currently has. If he has to think so hard about it, I'd rather pass on him. What's to say he doesn't pack a sad and play the homesick card a year or two into his 3 year contract seeing how reluctant he is to even move here in the first place?

Going forward, we should not go after players who needs this much convincing to move to Auckland to play footy and earn a nice $500k plus TPAs! FFS. We don't want another Walsh, AFB scenario or our recruitment team will forever be playing catch up

He's been offered job security for 3 years compared to the 1 year he currently has. If he has to think so hard about it, I'd rather pass on him. What's to say he doesn't pack a sad and play the homesick card a year or two into his 3 year contract seeing how reluctant he is to even move here in the first place?

To be fair I haven't heard the recent interview so if there is an update then never mind, but I feel thats a bit harsh.

The news broke what, 10 days ago so he was considering this for a little over a week, maybe 2. The dudes clearly weighing everything up and needs to look in to things - housing, schooling for his kids and likely a new job for the Mrs, what glory holes there are around town etc. Maybe being pragmatic is one of traits that helps make Capewell a winner.

It also fills me with confidence that we haven't offered him silly money, as someone on around 550k would likely take up the offer of a bigger contract $$ and length wise

To be fair I haven't heard the recent interview so if there is an update then never mind, but I feel thats a bit harsh.

The news broke what, 10 days ago so he was considering this for a little over a week, maybe 2. The dudes clearly weighing everything up and needs to look in to things - housing, schooling for his kids and likely a new job for the Mrs, what glory holes there are around town etc. Maybe being pragmatic is one of traits that helps make Capewell a winner.

It also fills me with confidence that we haven't offered him silly money, as someone on around 550k would likely take up the offer of a bigger contract $$ and length wise
Anyone here who wants to take him on a tour of the local glory holes speak up now, how much do you love the Warriors?

Thought some of the bits in that stuff article were interesting, like where he said Capewell was seen as a replacement for Curran and if they miss out on him they will chase another backrower but they are keen to add a front rower for next season. Does that mean they have a front rower lined up since so many of the players they would take for AFB are backrowers? Also the players the Warriors would take for him not including any sharks players.

Interesting listen on where Tohu is at with his body, still fresh and ready to go, he's had a bit of injury last 2 years so hopefully if he can stay injury free next season should be able to go even better than this year. Such a warrior glad he's sticking around longer.

Is it worth a listen? I don’t want to listen to 15 mins of disappointing news
Not so sure. History says it's always the opposite of what CG says publicly:

"Phone's ringing hot" = 0 calls
"RTS is committed to the Warriors" = He's off to rugby.
"RTS is committed to the NZRFU" = He's coming back.
"I'm not confident" = Contract is imminent.

Would take any of the sharks second rowers if that’s what we’re after. Nikora, Jack Williams or Teig Wilton. With Utoikamanu also mentioned Royce Hunt would be handy from the sharks also, perhaps Tom Hazleton? If we want BHU, he’s off contract at the end of next year anyway.