• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Sports Olympics 2024

Watched most of the golf last night amidst nodding off. Well done Lydia.

NZWarriors.com
Watched most of the golf last night amidst nodding off. Well done Lydia.
The monotone of the commentators make it tough to stay awake. I remember when I was younger and would have trouble sleeping I’d put it on in the background to help me sleep lol

Carrington absolutely taking the piss at this point. 8 gold medals? Holy shit

Save some gold for the rest of us!

Seriously question though fellas....

If you could train for the next 4 years in any Olympic sport in an attempt to get a medal, what do you reckon you could have a chance
Individual sports would be near impossible even if someone started in peak physical condition, possible one of the shooting disciplines at a stretch.
Team sports would possible be a bit more "realistic".
If I transitioned then I'd have a good chance as goalie in any woman's waterpolo team.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I constantly harp on about the dangers of mediocre academics, well an Australian one proved why they should be fired into the sun. Education is not a adequate replacement for ability.

This woman has a PhD in the culture of breakdancing

View: https://x.com/alex_abads/status/1821945716064821450

The routine was one of the cringiest things I’ve seen in my life, was like someone’s drunk aunt turned up and decided to try it for the first time.
Have also heard theories she tanked it to get publicity- she actually beat other people to qualify…

Lisa Carrington hasn’t ruled out going to LA, she is two gold medals away from being the second most gold medals of any athlete from any nation. Only Phelps would be ahead of her.
She is in my opinion are greatest athlete ever and it’s not even close
Have to agree + the emphatic way in which she won last night! The Olympics are rightfully considered the pinnacle and at 8 Gold medals that is just mind blowing , the reality is Lisa would be close to the greatest athlete in 95% of countries let alone Aotearoa. *Sophie Pascoe's 11 Para Olympic gold medals also has to be in contention.

How lucky are we to support such excellence on the world stage, there are some outstanding world sporting achievements by Kiwis that are non Olympic sports that deserve mention, in no particular order Susan Devoy's 8 British Opens, Glenn Turners 100 first class hundreds, Ivan Mauger's 6 world champions, Sir Ed Hillary knocking the bastard off!, Richard Hadlee's 15 for 123, Jonah Lomu's 4 tries in 1995 Rugby world cup semi final, Black magic, Anthony Wildings 4 Wimbeldon tennis titles, Bob Charles British golf open, John Walkers 100 sub 4 minute miles…to name but a few (apologies to all the feats missed). But yes, Lisa Carrington sits atop the tree with that beautiful immortal smiling face.

Last edited:
Have to agree + the emphatic way in which she won last night!, The Olympics are rightfully considered the pinnacle and at 8 Gold medals that is just mind blowing , the reality is Lisa would be close to the greatest athlete in 95% of countries let alone Aotearoa. *Sophie Pascoe's 11 Para Olympic gold medals also has to be in contention.

How lucky are we to support such excellence on the world stage, there are some outstanding world sporting achievements by Kiwis that are non Olympic sports that deserve mention, Susan Devoy's 8 British Opens, Glenn Turners 100 first class hundreds, Ivan Mauger's 6 world champions, Sir Ed Hillary knocking the bastard over, Richard Hadlee's 15 for 123, Jonah Lomu's 4 tries in 1995 Rugby world cup semi final, Black magic, Anthony Wildings 4 Wimbeldon tennis wins, Bob Charles British golf open....to name but a few (apologies to all the feats missed). But yes, Lisa Carrington sits atop the tree with that beautiful smiling face.
Great post. We really do box above our weight division on the world stage

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The routine was one of the cringiest things I’ve seen in my life, was like someone’s drunk aunt turned up and decided to try it for the first time.
Have also heard theories she tanked it to get publicity- she actually beat other people to qualify…
Tanked it to get publicity. Like a certain former Kiwi weightlifter allegedly did?

As to New Zealand's record: Bloody good, absolutely, but I've never liked the "For a population our size" argument. It's the number of people who participate in the particular sport, surely. The ABs have a much larger starting pool of players (ie secondary school and upwards) to pick from than Australia, even although their population is larger. That and obviously choices are going to be about which sports/disciplines are going to be prioritised.

Tanked it to get publicity. Like a certain former Kiwi weightlifter allegedly did?

As to New Zealand's record: Bloody good, absolutely, but I've never liked the "For a population our size" argument. It's the number of people who participate in the particular sport, surely. The ABs have a much larger starting pool of players (ie secondary school and upwards) to pick from than Australia, even although their population is larger. That and obviously choices are going to be about which sports/disciplines are going to be prioritised.
Judging by the amount of people looking up her routine due to her infamy in the last couple of days she’s certainly achieved much more views than she would have just being another competitor.
Strangely enough Aus has a larger number of registered players than NZ, they also have a much larger pool of league players to tap into also

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Judging by the amount of people looking up her routine due to her infamy in the last couple of days she’s certainly achieved much more views than she would have just being another competitor.
Strangely enough Aus has a larger number of registered players than NZ, they also have a much larger pool of league players to tap into also
In terms of rugby league, absolutely, but I was referring to that other rugby code.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

If you could train for the next 4 years in any Olympic sport in an attempt to get a medal, what do you reckon you could have a chance

I reckon the rock climbing for points would be pretty fun, I'd need to lose quite a bit of weight to get my grip strength to weight ratio in balance though 😅

Last time I tried a normal rock climb wall was about 10 years ago (and 10+kg lighter) and that was still pretty strenuous with no competitive element to it!

I reckon the rock climbing for points would be pretty fun, I'd need to lose quite a bit of weight to get my grip strength to weight ratio in balance though 😅

Last time I tried a normal rock climb wall was about 10 years ago (and 10+kg lighter) and that was still pretty strenuous with no competitive element to it!
Rock climbing was my favourite event to watch at the Olympics. Fascinating competition, great to watch, good length and amazing strength. Couldn’t get enough of it.

I would be up for it as a sport too if I was 20 years younger and 20kgs lighter. Did it a few times back in my younger days and was pretty good at it.

Back when I was an apprentice sparky, I was climbing around house framing all day, holding on with one hand to run the wiring! Had great strength to weight for a skinny teenager!

Four square.
4 x 1m relay
Olympic jandal throwing.
Jandal marksmanship
I could go on

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back