• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Sports Olympics 2024

NZWarriors.com
I haven't watched much of the Olympics. I turned the TV on to the women's fours rowing final last night.

The Netherlands led the entire race until the last stroke.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
They’re tightening the purse strings a bit for this one (minimal infrastructure builds etc). Be interesting to see how it’s received but many Aussies aren’t too hyped about it
Aussie is a lucky country and it’s paying it forward with an investment in a better world. Much better than buying nuclear subs and stuff like that…

Thinking about the 2000 games, isn’t that when the cringeworthy Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie, oi, oi, oi, thing came out?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
We watched Butcher in the single canoe river even and our family were making jokes about him ‘butchering’ the course.

Eggs on us when he butchered the competition to win a gold 🏅

Truth be told a lot of people in Brisbane don't want it. Qld government would have to pay up to $1 billion to ditch them.
Yeah, look what a clustfuck the Commonwealth Games have become.
And that's nothing to do with the Guilt Ridden White People that reckon the CGs are awful and wacist and shouldn't exist.
It's just a massive fucking waste of money to build stadiums that will eventually house hundreds of spiders, rats and insects and such as they fall out of use.
At least Birmingham weren't too stupid in that regard.

I wonder how long the Commonwealth games will be around with it being so expensive to run. The olympic games maybe hosted be a few countries that have the facilities & wealth to host the event.

I wonder how long the Commonwealth games will be around with it being so expensive to run. The olympic games maybe hosted be a few countries that have the facilities & wealth to host the event.
Frankly, if you accept that the Commonwealth Games and the Olympic Games should continue to exist and be run, there needs to be a bunch of people to put their big boy/girl/their pants on and say "The Games shall always be there!"
Personally, I think they're meaningless. With all the World Championships, Grand Slam Tournaments, 1000 Level Tournaments etc that every sport seems to have these days, it's getting bloody confusing.
While I'm on a rant, Cricket - with Test, ODI, and T20, especially the dozen or so T20 leagues that have sprung up over the last couple of years - is going the same way. Hopefully league sticks with the 13 man game and keeps 9s for pre-season shit and giggles...
With new formats and rules, fans are left asking "Which bloody level/competition in whatever bloody level is The Best One!?"!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Frankly, if you accept that the Commonwealth Games and the Olympic Games should continue to exist and be run, there needs to be a bunch of people to put their big boy/girl/their pants on and say "The Games shall always be there!"
Personally, I think they're meaningless. With all the World Championships, Grand Slam Tournaments, 1000 Level Tournaments etc that every sport seems to have these days, it's getting bloody confusing.
While I'm on a rant, Cricket - with Test, ODI, and T20, especially the dozen or so T20 leagues that have sprung up over the last couple of years - is going the same way. Hopefully league sticks with the 13 man game and keeps 9s for pre-season shit and giggles...
With new formats and rules, fans are left asking "Which bloody level/competition in whatever bloody level is The Best One!?"!
I find a lot of the kayaking unnecessary. Like a 4-person kayak race over 500m. Seems very niche and idiotically unnecessary. How do they practice? This year, 12 teams are competing. The top 8 compete in the final, while the bottom 4 compete in the B final.

Or a 1-person kayak race over 200m. It's often the same person getting into another boat to race another category, because they aren't too tired and they may as well

Thankfully, the OIC did away with a few of the categories after Tokyo, and now there are only 4 categories

In other rants, I reckon tennis and golf shouldn't be there, and football is some weird age-group hybrid that isn't top level. Those sports have their own highly-professional competitions to compete at. The Olympics is just a nice medal to pick up for them

Yeah, I don't really care at all about the normal pro sports that are on all year round anyway, but the things that feel "Olympic-y" like track and field or gymnastics, or channel surfing between random stuff like the wall climbing or diving or whatever, can be a bit of fun to sit and marvel at for a couple of hours.

Actually have set my alarm for 4.50am tomorrow morning to catch the women's pole vault final live - imagine if all 3 Kiwis get the medals :love:

I find a lot of the kayaking unnecessary. Like a 4-person kayak race over 500m. Seems very niche and idiotically unnecessary. How do they practice? This year, 12 teams are competing. The top 8 compete in the final, while the bottom 4 compete in the B final.

Or a 1-person kayak race over 200m. It's often the same person getting into another boat to race another category, because they aren't too tired and they may as well

I feel the same way about the swimming, it's a bit of a rort that the likes of Phelps and Ledecky are all time medal winners just cos they decided to pick a sport that gives them a zillion races each time they go to an Olympic Games :ROFLMAO:

Olympics at Brisbane in 8 years time.

What’s the feeling from Aussies? Sydney 2000 was epic!

Can’t wait!
itll be shit. public transportation infrastructure there is diabolical. people there dont know what public transportation is. buses are decent if your area is covered.

imagine some global traveller coming to brisbane for the olympics, staying around queen st mall, venturing outside on a fri night and asking the cab driver to take him to the city lol

itll be shit. public transportation infrastructure there is diabolical. people there dont know what public transportation is. buses are decent if your area is covered.

imagine some global traveller coming to brisbane for the olympics, staying around queen st mall, venturing outside on a fri night and asking the cab driver to take him to the city lol
shoulda had it in melbourne

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back