Politics šŸ—³ļø NZ Politics

such a pitiful ability to make a difference realistically to the average person needing relief.
$15b divided by 5 million people is $3,000 each per year on average. Divided by only wage earnings and itā€™s a lot more per family.

Some people live in a bubble where they donā€™t ever have to see the people choosing between their washing machine repairs and eating and never realise how much a ā€˜pitifulā€™ $60pw extra can be life changing.

Struggling minimum wage earnings shouldnā€™t be paying 30% tax.

Am I the only one here who has a social conscience?

$15b divided by 5 million people is $3,000 each per year on average. Divided by only wage earnings and itā€™s a lot more per family.

Some people live in a bubble where they donā€™t ever have to see the people choosing between their washing machine repairs and eating and never realise how much a ā€˜pitifulā€™ $60pw extra can be life changing.

1717130056075.png

Some more examples - note the herald has chosen kids prominently in these examples

1717130212446.png

It's those who can afford it the least are gaining the least tax cut, and getting punished through all the austerity. Where's you conscience sit with that?

It quite easy to say ā€œtax cuts will cost this muchā€ when you never put a time limit after itā€¦.. thatā€™s why Cameron and Hickey can say their figures with $4.7 billion differenceā€¦. because one is considering the cost over say three years while the other is using four years. Why? Because it makes it look a lot worse than saying less than $4 billion per year.

Itā€™s the same when itā€™s mentioned that the changes to the landlords interest deductibility will cost $3 billion. But itā€™s only just over $700 million PAā€¦. the $3 billion is spread over four years. And even then, as interest rates drop, the four years will extend out because the amount landlord claim will drop as interest rates drop down.

For example, a landlord with a $500,000 mortgage at 7.0% pays $35,000 in interest each year so claims back $11,550 PA of their tax if theyā€™re taxed at 33% But, if the interest rate drops to 4.0% on that $500,000, they can only claim back $6,600 PA. Suddenly, it takes 8 years for the governments tax take to drop down that $3,000,000,000ā€¦.. it still goes down by that amount but the time period increasesā€¦. it just doesnā€™t help it when it goes against the narrative the person is trying to portray.

Some more examples - note the herald has chosen kids prominently in these examples

View attachment 7566

It's those who can afford it the least are gaining the least tax cut, and getting punished through all the austerity. Where's you conscience sit with that?
Looks pretty good. Looks about $50pw on average. The people supporting kids with all their expenses get a bit more, single people examples need less.

$50 is huge! Thatā€™s like $1.40 ph (before tax) pay rise! Enough to pull thousands of kids out of poverty!

Based on the ā€˜average householdā€™ examples many people will be overjoyed at the support.

What are you missing most from the supposed austerity? I havenā€™t noticed any change that affect day to day life? The real world economic recession is 100 x worse than any govt issues and this will help there.

Last edited:
It quite easy to say ā€œtax cuts will cost this muchā€ when you never put a time limit after itā€¦.. thatā€™s why Cameron and Hickey can say their figures with $4.7 billion differenceā€¦. because one is considering the cost over say three years while the other is using four years. Why? Because it makes it look a lot worse than saying less than $4 billion per year.

Itā€™s the same when itā€™s mentioned that the changes to the landlords interest deductibility will cost $3 billion. But itā€™s only just over $700 million PAā€¦. the $3 billion is spread over four years. And even then, as interest rates drop, the four years will extend out because the amount landlord claim will drop as interest rates drop down.

For example, a landlord with a $500,000 mortgage at 7.0% pays $35,000 in interest each year so claims back $11,550 PA of their tax if theyā€™re taxed at 33% But, if the interest rate drops to 4.0% on that $500,000, they can only claim back $6,600 PA. Suddenly, it takes 8 years for the governments tax take to drop down that $3,000,000,000ā€¦.. it still goes down by that amount but the time period increasesā€¦. it just doesnā€™t help it when it goes against the narrative the person is trying to portray.
But needs to be considered what weā€™ve done to get to this point with borrowing aside like the scrapping of fhbā€™s grants. Iā€™m sure a fair amount of the population would rather the money go towards the cancer treatments they promised in the election. Donā€™t get me wrong promises are almost broken in elections but these sorts are unethical

Looks pretty good. Looks about $50pw on average. The people supporting kids with all their expenses get a bit more, single people examples need less.

$50 is huge! Thatā€™s like $1.40 ph (before tax) pay rise! Enough to pull thousands of kids out of poverty!

Based on the ā€˜average householdā€™ examples many people will be overjoyed at the support.

What are you missing most from the supposed austerity? I havenā€™t noticed any change that affect day to day life? The real world economic recession is 100 x worse than any govt issues and this will help there.
As always you make shit up to suit yourself. Later.

But all the cuts and inflation have seen everything else go up. The tax cuts will fuel inflation and the austerity measures will inflict huge unnecessary pain on those who can't afford it, and even those who can.

And it doesn't have to be this way.

Pure ideology, and a failed one at that.

We only have to look back to the late 80s and the 90s. I've been there, I've no doubt others here have too.
These tax cuts wonā€™t fuel inflation - the volume of products consumers are buying is down everywhere. Freight companies are seeing mid-single digit volume decline, retailers are in big trouble, plenty wonā€™t survive.

With unemployment increasing, wage inflation is normalising, skilled labour inflation probably back to around 3% currently & dropping, so thatā€™s not the driver of domestic inflation either.

I reckon what weā€™re seeing right now is part rear view mirror, the impact of wage inflation lags by up to a year, and part due to the structure of NZ industries - not enough competition, so even when volume declines like it is currently, companies are able to lift prices to try to offset fixed cost deleverage & protect profitability.

Itā€™s a white govt with a white budget according to themā€¦ while the actual govt has more Maori MPā€™s in it than the Maori party does!

Just radical separatists pushing racial division. Those sort of messages will result in hate, disharmony and bitterness from their followers and foster a culture of victimhood and entitlement.

The budget offers tax cuts, extra health, education funding, etc for Maori. What more do they want?
This is disgusting.

I think people will appreciate the tax relief. It will make a difference for middle income earners with kids especially.
Money is really tight. Very difficult to sell anything at present. Had the house on the market for nine months now and hardly any lookers.
Do you reckon the tax relief will sway your house sale

I live in hope.
House is at one end of the economic scale. My wife collects and grows, hoyas, orcids and cacti . For years she has been selling them to fund her collection and support a local charity. She has quite a few regular buyers. I know this is a very narrow window into the economy but people have just stopped buying and it is a range of people.

Ultimately long term, yes.

Itā€™s part of sound economic management which incentivises individual responsibility (over the govt knowing how to spend money better).

Holistically, with the whole package, we are promoting working, housing and the economy instead of disincentivised all those things.

Were heading back to a rockstar economy instead of constant recessions. 3% total growth over the labour 6 years despite population increasing 6.3% over that time meant we are a poorer country after Labour (-3.3% real growth) which explains the increased poverty, homelessness, deteriorating health system, roads, etc, and house prices in the doldrums.

With sound economic and political management a lot of our issues will resolve themselves before the next election.

Ultimately long term, yes.

Itā€™s part of sound economic management which incentivises individual responsibility (over the govt knowing how to spend money better).

Holistically, with the whole package, we are promoting working, housing and the economy instead of disincentivised all those things.

Were heading back to a rockstar economy instead of constant recessions. 3% total growth over the labour 6 years despite population increasing 6.3% over that time meant we are a poorer country after Labour (-3.3% real growth) which explains the increased poverty, homelessness, deteriorating health system, roads, etc, and house prices in the doldrums.

With sound economic and political management a lot of our issues will resolve themselves before the next election.
Neoliberal propaganda as a paid advertisement for Act and National.

You have yet to show me the real world example of the utopian country that we should follow?

You complain about neoliberalism but then provide no viable alternative. I have asked repeatedly beforeā€¦

Paid propaganda for Communism? North Korean Warriors fan? šŸ¤£
I've mentioned plenty of times myself. You're welcome to your political fantasies Wiz, this government is corrupt, and I don't see any point in a debate where one side consistently makes up fiction (that's you) to suit their arguments and the other (that's me) can't be bothered today.

I've mentioned plenty of times myself. You're welcome to your political fantasies Wiz, this government is corrupt, and I don't see any point in a debate where one side consistently makes up fiction (that's you) to suit their arguments and the other (that's me) can't be bothered today.

Delusional to think these will make a jot of difference to anybody rather than add to inflation

Isnā€™t Wiz just outlining the mindset & strategy of our current government? Rightly or wrongly thatā€™s what our country is operating with right now and more than likely for a further 6 years plus. What is fantasy about thatā€¦ as opposed to you finding fault in absolutely everything announced by the coalition?

Back