Pick Your Team Warriors v Sharks - Round 1, 2024 PICK YOUR TEAM

Starting 13 looks unanimous.

Bench
Nuikore and Walker certainties.
Lussick I’d say is almost a shoe in.
Has been bagged a bit last couple of weeks and rightly so, he had a few bad decisions with ball in hand. But that’s what trials are for.
This could be a breakout year. Hope so.
The last spot is between Jazz, Bunty and Ale and I suppose Jazz prob has first dibs.
Laban would have played in the second trial if he was in contention you would think.

Starting 13 looks unanimous.

Bench
Nuikore and Walker certainties.
Lussick I’d say is almost a shoe in.
Has been bagged a bit last couple of weeks and rightly so, he had a few bad decisions with ball in hand. But that’s what trials are for.
This could be a breakout year. Hope so.
The last spot is between Jazz, Bunty and Ale and I suppose Jazz prob has first dibs.
Laban would have played in the second trial if he was in contention you would think.
Yeah. Those 4 are a hard pick. I felt Laban hit the ground running this year. He's a handful. Explosive runner. I thought Lussick has improved. Has more impact. Ale just needs less injury.

I'd go with Hatchet Harry's team.

These first five games are statement games to show that 2023 wasn't one of those weird, out-of-the-box, how the hell did that happen seasons. We need to show that The Warriors Are Long Term Contenders. It's like 2003 when we almost equalled 2002. I actually rate 2003 a better Warriors season because it proved 2002 wasn't a one-off, "you'll be waiting years for another finals campaign after this!" season. We had arrived. Turned to shit after, of course, and there's some stories about it all being more luck than design but that all ruins my point, so let's ignore that!
I also rate 03 as better considering the experience we'd lost from 02. Got dam we should've made the GF that year! Anyway... 😭

Tough but very winnable for us. I actually thought the dogs pack did a good job of bullying the Sharks pack in their last trial game (I think their full strength packs were used in that trial). BHU is under doubt and Rudolf is apparently not 100%. I think the go is to get them through the middle- it worked for us the last time we played them at Mt Smart.

Tough but very winnable for us. I actually thought the dogs pack did a good job of bullying the Sharks pack in their last trial game (I think their full strength packs were used in that trial). BHU is under doubt and Rudolf is apparently not 100%. I think the go is to get them through the middle- it worked for us the last time we played them at Mt Smart.
We gave Moylan nightmares

Last years bench. Walker, Curran, Sironen and Jazz.
I don’t see much difference in swapping Niukore and Lussick for Curran and Sironen. Does it make the bench better? I guess so, a little. Will it beat the Shark? Probably. Will it beat Panthers and Broncos? I doubt it.

Soooooo……
14. Walker
15. Niukore
16. Bunty/Barnett/Ale.
17. Jazz/Lussick

I’m in the Bunty starts camp, takes the brunt then makes way for the better Niukore and Barnett. Then sits on the bench waiting for an injury or if someone’s completely gassed. If Tom gets Bunty’s spot I don’t really care. I just want a middle, a bigger one than Jazz and Sironen.

Jazz is my hooker cover, I point to the all stars match as proof (limited) that he can do it, If needed.
I feel if Lussick is on the bench he’s just sitting waiting for Egan. If Egan doesn’t go down or need a spell it’s a complete waste of a spot. Jazz can do a 10-15 minute spell and some.

I’m ok to give Jazz the last spot purely on reputation

He better fire his arse up though cause he hasn’t been impressive since his return in the finals . He was an energizer bunny in that Storm game before injuring himself and hasn’t been the same since…

But Egan can’t go 80mins if we want him to last the season so Jazz needs to cover

Too bad TMM can’t cover hooker, can cover halves and fullback (or fill in centre for RTS to move back), experienced and left out of the 17

Wrigty's head to head analysis against our likely team that most people have been posting in the other Thread

Fullback Double Win Sharks
Wings Tie
Centres - Warriors
Standoff - Tie
Halfback - Tie
Starting Props - Warriors
Hooker - Tie
Second Row - Warriors
Lock - Warriors

Bench - Warriors

Warriors 5 Advantages vs Sharks 2
I was tempted to give us a double advantage at prop.
I think we may roll them up front. We have them in the forward pack I think.
Egans all over Brailey, SJ over Hynes

Is there any logic in starting with Lussick until the edge has been blunted. Solid defender, good distribution. To use a Wrighty Cricket analogy, Egan is Tendulkar, Lussick is Fivedulkar.
yes, there is that option. Worked for Souths against us with Cook coming off the bench about 15-20minutes in to the game. It was pouring with rain though so that may have been a factor in the tactic also

Back