• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

NRL NRL General Recruitment Thread

NZWarriors.com
Watching the Knights and Eels scramble to move players on so they can bring in new players while we sit on cash that nobody wants is kind of sad and funny at the same time.

Both teams are going to cause a bit of disruption in the market. Will be interesting to see the fallout.

I think a lot of clubs will be keen to get their core locked in before the 18th team enters the room.

Watching the Knights and Eels scramble to move players on so they can bring in new players while we sit on cash that nobody wants is kind of sad and funny at the same time.

Both teams are going to cause a bit of disruption in the market. Will be interesting to see the fallout.

I think a lot of clubs will be keen to get their core locked in before the 18th team enters the room.
Not sure who the recruitment boss is at the eels? But think a big part of seeing so much around recruitment in the news from the knights and tigers has a lot to do with their recruitment managers. We saw similar when Peter O Sullivan was with us, and is apparently how Shane Richardson like to approach recruitment too at the tigers

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Jmaine Hopgood extended at eels until 2027. Interesting Ryles has told Gutherson he’s apart of their plans, though with the signing of Iongi looks like he’s headed for a positional shift. Would be great if it was to five eighth and Dylan Brown comes to Warriors

I think Nathan Brown our ex coach has taking up the role of recruitment for the Eels
When he left us he wasn't coaching. I remember the discussion was the role would suit him. I remember that discussion but wasn't 100% on the club. Although I suspected in was the Eels.

Wikipedia has the following.

In 2022, Brown joined Parramatta as the clubs elite pathways coaching director. On 21 November 2023, Brown stepped down from his role

So looks like he was doing a non-coaching role at the Eels but left and is now returning as an assistant under Ryles.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The Knights moving front rowers on and potentially looking at Matt Lodge.

Peter O'Sullivan looking after family.

Remember the speculation Leo Thompson wanted to be mentored by someone experienced. Lodge was complaining about being a leader here.

I thought that was strange when I read it today.
You’re spot on with the Nepotism call. Sean will be next I suppose.

Riki had a nightmare game against the Dolphins. A change to one of the better performing sides would be a good move for him. Maybe Kevie is not the right coach for him??

Riki had a nightmare game against the Dolphins. A change to one of the better performing sides would be a good move for him. Maybe Kevie is not the right coach for him??
Not just against the Dolphins. He has regressed from last year by a fair margin. I thought Piakura has gone backwards as well although not as much as Riki. Would not be surprised if they both end up like Eli Katoa where under a good coach they get much much better.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Whispers around two Brisbane players looking to end their contacts early and move on, potentially Riki and Piakura..
Big things going on over there. Also sounds like Fletcher Baker heading back to Sydney with tigers, dragons and rabbits keen. Have to wonder just how much of a decent coach Walters is? Remember Cobbo saying on a podcast he couldn’t coach a couple of seasons back? Really feel like the arrival of Reynolds had a large bearing on their season last year. Says amongst all the rumours that storm are shopping Meaney and broncos think they will go after Cobbo or Staggs. It’s not a full blown conclusion that it’s Riki and Piakura with many names floating around over there, but they’re already short on backrowers so that would hurt them. Sounds like the players in question will be there next year but want to shift on from such a club dominating the headlines

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Riki is so rocks and diamonds, but mostly rocks. Just hasn't taken the step ahead of being an OK NRL player.

Piakura gets talked up so much, but he's either injured or missing tackles for fun.

I think we will be steering well clear of both if rumours are true. I think our future is looking good with Halamsia and Laban.
Here's the thing. Halasima and Laban will definitely cheaper while we find out how high their ceiling is.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back