NRL NRL Expansion

Can you elaborate on that? The History of Rugby League Clubs book says (repeated by Wikipedia):
'the crushing $10 million debt that hung over the club (from having to pay the airfares for all visiting teams) at the end of the season led to Super League axing the Perth Reds on 1 October 1997.'
From memory it was Brad Mellon who was the CEO of the Western Reds that disputed that the club was in debt and inferred that the club was actually in a heathy condition with the cavette being if it was forced to continue to pay visiting teams airline bills then it would fold.
I'm going purely off memory on this one which is 25 years ago so i very well maybe be incorrect here.

From memory it was Brad Mellon who was the CEO of the Western Reds that disputed that the club was in debt and inferred that the club was actually in a heathy condition with the cavette being if it was forced to continue to pay visiting teams airline bills then it would fold.
I'm going purely off memory on this one which is 25 years ago so i very well maybe be incorrect here.
Basically all of the 95 sides had the crippling caveat of paying both their own and visiting teams airfares and accomodation. It’s no coincidence the teams went to superleague as it was unsustainable. All of the expansion clubs struggled financially but Perth should have been persevered with instead of being cut

The Bears should be reinstated & I think the Dragons should divorce Illawarra & relocate to Gosford but since neither of those are gonna happen, Perth + the Bears would be smart because they'd have support when they play in Sydney something like the Warriors enjoy.

I think that Perth team is going to really struggle. At least without the old strategic state, we got a lot riding on this, refereeing decisions. I.e. Melbourne.

Question; do you think the Melbourne Storm would still be around if they weren’t so successful? Like…….. Melbourne Rebels????
You do realise despite all their success the Storm are not that financially successful. They were losing millions for years.

I wrote this in an earlier post. Have you noticed that there aren’t many Wallabies playing for the Western Force? And I mean ever. And apparently the Wallabies that play for the rebels only want to go to the Brumbies, Warratahs and Reds.

Why would anyone seriously wanna go to Perth? Seriously? Only young men looking for opportunities and old men looking for one last cheque.

I reckon they struggle to recruit more than the Warriors do. (Or the Keas would)

Haha I tell you what, depending on some theoretical very generous financial incentives for players. Even PNG might find it easier.

I think that Perth team is going to really struggle. At least without the old strategic state, we got a lot riding on this, refereeing decisions. I.e. Melbourne.

Question; do you think the Melbourne Storm would still be around if they weren’t so successful? Like…….. Melbourne Rebels????
You do realise despite all their success the Storm are not that financially successful. They were losing millions for years.

I wrote this in an earlier post. Have you noticed that there aren’t many Wallabies playing for the Western Force? And I mean ever. And apparently the Wallabies that play for the rebels only want to go to the Brumbies, Warratahs and Reds.

Why would anyone seriously wanna go to Perth? Seriously? Only young men looking for opportunities and old men looking for one last cheque.

I reckon they struggle to recruit more than the Warriors do. (Or the Keas would)

Haha I tell you what, depending on some theoretical very generous financial incentives for players. Even PNG might find it easier.
They get good crowds when the NRL takes a game there. Not countering your points though.

There is an element of ‘Build it and they will come ‘ with expansion. League is riding a wave of popularity at the moment so strategically it’s the right time to pull the trigger. The more time expansion sides to get to ensure the back office locked in and the foundations of a solid base to build a club are undertaken, the better chance of success come recruitment and establishing pathways.

There is an element of ‘Build it and they will come ‘ with expansion. League is riding a wave of popularity at the moment so strategically it’s the right time to pull the trigger. The more time expansion sides to get to ensure the back office locked in and the foundations of a solid base to build a club are undertaken, the better chance of success come recruitment and establishing pathways.
They seem ambitious about it with some of the dates being mentioned.

The Dolphins probably could have used another year and they had a decent starting base in terms of capital, having a team already, location and inaugural coach. The debate was for another year as they were struggling to fill out their roster. They already were pushing the rules in terms of approaching players under contract. Something for the NRL to consider. As the contracting system is from November.

You raise a good point though. If they know when each team would enter. Release the schedule so the clubs can get organized in preparation before things ramp up as it gets closer.

Back