• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

International New Zealand Kiwis

NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Happy for Samoa (was it possible he may not have been selected for the kiwis anyway?)

It could well be harder to get into the Samoa squad honestly.

You have Fa'alongo at Fullback

To'o, Taulagi, Marzhew as Wing options

Crichton, Tago as Centres

Luai, Asi, and Chanel in the Halves

Then you have Hamiso who could flip flop between Samoa and Aus, and Blaize Talagi who could play just about anywhere. Probably some guys I forget too

I have little doubt he will have a spot as long as he wants one, chances are a few guys will not be keen on the trip to England anyway

It could well be harder to get into the Samoa squad honestly.

You have Fa'alongo at Fullback

To'o, Taulagi, Marzhew as Wing options

Crichton, Tago as Centres

Luai, Asi, and Chanel in the Halves

Then you have Hamiso who could flip flop between Samoa and Aus, and Blaize Talagi who could play just about anywhere. Probably some guys I forget too

I have little doubt he will have a spot as long as he wants one, chances are a few guys will not be keen on the trip to England anyway
Initially I thought this was crazy but centre might actually be the one area Kiwis don't have great depth at.

Timoko is a first choice, but with Manus departure I don't think there's anyone screaming for a call up. Kris, Berry?

Mulitalo and Isaako would be locked in on the wings, or maybe DWZ due to the Stacey connection if he doesn't end up playing for Tonga.

Kini would be an interesting pick over CNK at fullback based on this season.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Initially I thought this was crazy but centre might actually be the one area Kiwis don't have great depth at.

Timoko is a first choice, but with Manus departure I don't think there's anyone screaming for a call up. Kris, Berry?

Mulitalo and Isaako would be locked in on the wings, or maybe DWZ due to the Stacey connection if he doesn't end up playing for Tonga.

Kini would be an interesting pick over CNK at fullback based on this season.

With Berry still listed as indefinite, Simmonson out for the year, Kris not really blowing people away, I really think Howarth might be our next best option. Pompey would be right there too.

It's crazy to think, a guy like Ali with 5 odd FG games at 21 yo, would probably be an auto pick for Samoa like 5 years ago. Now he would probably be better off picking NZ and being the 3rd of 4th healthy option.

Last edited:

2024 rugby league Pacific Championships schedule announced with three Tests in Aotearoa

November this year, in partnership with the NRL.

Two match days are confirmed to take place in New Zealand, with Ōtautahi Christchurch’s Apollo Projects Stadium set to host a double header between the Kiwis, Kiwi Ferns, and rival Australian Kangaroos men’s and Jillaroos women’s teams on Sunday 27 October.

This will mark the Kiwis’ return to Christchurch for the first time in five years and the Kiwi Ferns’ first South Island Test since 1998.

The Kiwis will then face Tonga at Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland’s Go Media Stadium at Mt Smart on Saturday 2 November.

“It is a very special occasion to partner with Ōtautahi Christchurch and work with Canterbury Rugby League to take the Pacific Championships to our fans in the South Island for the first international fixtures there in five years,” says NZRL CEO Greg Peters.

“We’re excited to work with Tonga to bring their rugby league heroes back to play in front of their proud community in Auckland, with the support of Tātaki Auckland Unlimited making this possible.

“International rugby league in Aotearoa creates celebrations of culture and passion that captures the hearts and minds of all sports fans, the Tests here will be unmissable.”

Both teams head into this year’s international season on a high having convincingly defeated rivals Australia in their final matches last year. The thrilling games saw the Kiwis lift the Pacific Championship’s Pacific Cup in its inaugural year, with the Kiwi Ferns ending Australia’s seven-year streak of wins against them.

Tickets go on sale via Ticketek Wednesday 28th August at 12pm, with presale for NZRL and MyTicketek members Tuesday 27th August. Sign up to the Waitlist to learn more.

Pacific Championships schedule:

The 2024 Pacific Championships is a two-tiered competition, with men’s and women’s teams from across the Pacific competing for the Pacific Cup and the Pacific Bowl.

The Championships will include two match days in New Zealand, with the Grand Finals to be played in Sydney, Australia on November 10.

Kiwi and Kiwi Ferns full schedule below:

Sunday 27 October
  • Pacific Cup – New Zealand v Australia (men and women) at Apollo Projects Stadium, Christchurch
Saturday 2 November
  • Pacific Cup – New Zealand v Tonga (men) at Go Media Stadium, Auckland
Sunday 3 November
  • Pacific Cup – New Zealand v Papua New Guinea (women) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby
Sunday 10 November
  • Pacific Cup men’s and women’s Grand Final in Sydney, Australia

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Didnt Dallin opt for Kiwis but Malakai opted for NSW/Kangaroos? Same for the Nikorima's wasnt it (Kodi - NZ, Jayden Qld/Aus). And then we had to habe robbie paul leave us for bloody english rugby!

TBH eligibility is a farce across intl league as it is across SOO. Why cant they just make it simple? Choose the state/nation upon signing first professional contract. If you opt to change - declare and stand down period of 3 years starts then. NZ needs to start looking at its own SOO concept of North vs South, or perhaps Auck Vs the rest.

Im still bitter about the original turncoat K Hunt. The greatest memory of Frank Pritchard i have is that shoulder he put on Karmichael in his test debut in Bris. Freaking despise Brad Thorn and Tonnie Carrol for what they did as a close equal second.

Didnt Dallin opt for Kiwis but Malakai opted for NSW/Kangaroos? Same for the Nikorima's wasnt it (Kodi - NZ, Jayden Qld/Aus). And then we had to habe robbie paul leave us for bloody english rugby!

Im still bitter about the original turncoat K Hunt. The greatest memory of Frank Pritchard i have is that shoulder he put on Karmichael in his test debut in Bris. Freaking despise Brad Thorn and Tonnie Carrol for what they did as a close equal second.

At least Paul choose NZ when it mattered, for Rugby League.

But I'm with ya, I can't stand these guys (players and fans) who want to be Kiwis when it comes to union and Aussies when it comes to league.

Just got to make sure the guys that come through NZ system stay with the Kiwis. Don’t want guys that play Junior Kiwis be allowed to play State of Origin.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back