Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

A good trial I reckon, certainly a level up from this time last year bit of rust, cobwebs and new rules etc, so errors to be expected.
However I see gaps between our best players thankfully most of them who adjusted up and others whom looked a bit lost or out of place.
Mind you there's 2 weeks of ironing out to do till the Sharks. I'm sure Webby will sort it out he knows collecting as many comp points in the first 7 to 10 rounds can play a crucial role for a top 4 finish..

Preseason is always hard to gauge where the team are at in comparison to everyone else, including the Dolphins because of the way they dispersed their minutes, but we have every reason to be hopeful of another top 4 & beyond. Being the second year under Webster everything appears just a little more refined than 12 months ago. A lot of it is simple stuff too. The Wahs Up TV Wahs Up Podcast did a good job of showcasing that mid week by highlighting some shifts off of taps from kicks into touch to help our Front Rowers be less of an easy target to the opposition D line.
Couple of other thoughts:

- I've previously been in favour of Niukore starting at Prop & Barnett off the bench because Barnett would provide an increase in line speed on his arrival but I now think it needs to be the other way around like it was yesterday. A middle of Barnett/Tohu/Walker in the second quarter doesn't really have anyone to create momentum off static ball. All are fantastic off the back of momentum though but that's my reasoning in favour a combo of Niukore/Tohu/Walker from something like the 25th-45th minute. Walker does provide his own boost in line speed & overall intensity as well.
- Ford has his critics (& weaknesses) but will be under no pressure to retain his spot unless he has a shocking first month.
- Metcalf locked in the #6 with TMM his back up. If SJ went down though I think CHT is first man up to replace him because the right hand edge is all about shape & he plays the most square in attack.
- Lussick would be a third stringer at many clubs but we probably need to have him in the 17 during the regular season to ensure Egan isn't burnt out come playoffs. That leaves Ale, Tevaga & Bunty all competing for the #16 jersey which will probably only be a 20 minute role. That's my pecking order but I can understand cases for all 3.
- Crazy to think how far the club has come in such a short space of time when you consider Euan Aitken was our 2022 Player of the Year (& rightfully so) but wouldn't be guaranteed a spot in our 17 today.
- Dolphins will miss Gilbert immensely (slid from 6th to 13th without him in 2023) but, when they're at full strength, they should float around the edge of the top 8 & be a good watch.

Last edited:
The 3most important players which we need to have on field most of year
Shaun Johnson, Wayne Egan and AFB i think the depth in all other positions looks good. Centre going to be interesting think Ali will be a beast but will play most of year in nsw cup try get him 10 games in nrl and see where he is at but no need to rush him.
Ali is a bit rocks and diamonds all within the same game at the moment
Tremendous try himself but his edge leaked a soft try. He also gave away an ill disciplined penalty for tackling the fullback in the air and in game one was part of allowing the infamous Tigers second try.

He is the sort of player that needs about ten first grade like you say to get used to the atmosphere and learn to lift up his discipline and defence to a higher level.

Some people on this forum were wanting him to play all 25 games this year at centre with Roger at wing, but these trials have shown he is not ready just yet. That said he looks on track to be an elite power centre. If I were a bottom 4 team in rebuilding mode I would offer the Warriors a seriously good trade for him.

Tremendous try himself but his edge leaked a soft try. He also gave away an ill disciplined penalty for tackling the fullback in the air and in game one was part of allowing the infamous Tigers second try.

He is the sort of player that needs about ten first grade like you say to get used to the atmosphere and learn to lift up his discipline and defence to a higher level.

Some people on this forum were wanting him to play all 25 games this year at centre with Roger at wing, but these trials have shown he is not ready just yet. That said he looks on track to be an elite power centre. If I were a bottom 4 team in rebuilding mode I would offer the Warriors a seriously good trade for him.
All totally expected from a young bull trying to impose himself in the game. I just love how aggressive he is! Once it fully clicks he's going to dominate his opponents!

I would be gutted if we lost him he is the future and can learn of a legend in rts- I think it’s a great situation for us in that we don’t need to play him in first grade as we have so much depth in this position so there’s not the pressure on him as there would be if he was starting. I’d say rts and berry are our centres tricky position for Pompey who seems a good clubman and solid player but may be 4th choice.

I would be gutted if we lost him he is the future and can learn of a legend in rts- I think it’s a great situation for us in that we don’t need to play him in first grade as we have so much depth in this position so there’s not the pressure on him as there would be if he was starting. I’d say rts and berry are our centres tricky position for Pompey who seems a good clubman and solid player but may be 4th choice.
Ali is not going to learn anything in the lower grades.

Pompey could be good for the eels. I just don't think he get renewed and could be gone before if another club needs a centre. I absolutely love what pompey has done for this club and hope he gets the best deal at another club.

RTS, Berry, and Leiataua are not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. The club could bring in Moi Moi or even this Quinton kid at cup?

Pompey could be good for the eels. I just don't think he get renewed and could be gone before if another club needs a centre. I absolutely love what pompey has done for this club and hope he gets the best deal at another club.

RTS, Berry, and Leiataua are not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. The club could bring in Moi Moi or even this Quinton kid at cup?
Agree on Pompey could find another nrl club and start was interesting he re-signed last year when could of seen what depth warriors had at centre.

Back