• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
JFH Kiwis 5.png

Player James Fisher-Harris

Full Name
James Fisher-Harris
Date of Birth
Jan 5, 1996
Birth Location
Kohukohu, Northland, New Zealand
Nationality
  1. 🇳🇿 New Zealand
Height (cm)
187 cm
Weight (kg)
104 kg
Position/s
  1. Prop
  2. Second Row
  3. Lock
Nickname
Ika, Fish
Forum Nickname/s
JFH
Signed From
Penrith Panthers
Junior Club/s
Whangarei Marist Brothers
Previous Club/s
Penrith Panthers
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
  2. NZ Maori
  3. Junior Kiwi
Awards/Honours
  1. Golden Boot
  2. Dally M (Positional Award)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fisher-Harris
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/james-fisher-harris/summary.html
NZWarriors.com
Much as I believe JFH is a very good get for the Wahs in truth he is a poor man’s AFB
He need not be any kind of AFB. A key is him being exactly who he is. He has qualities Addin doesn't. He lacks abilities Addin has. Different and rightly so. I'll miss Addin but it won't be as bad as Fish is as good a replacement as we could have hoped for. And probably more than we thought. I'm sure you know all this though. 👍

He need not be any kind of AFB. A key is him being exactly who he is. He has qualities Addin doesn't. He lacks abilities Addin has. Different and rightly so. I'll miss Addin but it won't be as bad as Fish is as good a replacement as we could have hoped for. And probably more than we thought. I'm sure you know all this though. 👍

Agreed.

JFH elevates team-mates.

AFB performs at a high level, individually.

The question, I think, is which one do we need more?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The way I’ve framed this is, AFB is a better player for the short term. Fish is a better player for the long term.

Addin has better statistics & on paper, is a better player. He’s a try scoring, high metres, high minutes alpha prop.

Fish brings better intangibles that aren’t seen in statistics. He’s been brought to improve the culture of our club, brings mana & a history of winning. He’s also a mentor to our young props coming through.

The addition of fish may not yield benefits in the first 12 months, but what he’ll do for the club over his four years will be immense.

I'm a huge fan of AFB and what he provided us. They are different players. Willie Mason pointed out when we signed JFH how AFB would use a late step at the line while JFH will try and go through you.

AFB was playing big minutes for us. JFH may have his minutes broken down differently at the Panthers but he does do a lot while he is on. He does a lot of work off the ball. He is also a different body shape and looks a lot quicker across the ground.

When the AFB departure was announced some of the names thrown around probably needed two players to replace AFB. If we are going 1 for 1 we probably landed one of the best replacements.

The analysts usually mention AFB and Haas when discussing the best front rowers in the game. If someone added JFH into the conversation they would likely talk of him in a similar way it is like he is forgotten about as the Panthers have so many playing at a high level that he doesn't stand out as much.

The Panthers fans would likely JFH the best. They have won 3 Grand Finals in a row and also lost one before that. A lot of their success was built off the platform set up by JFH.

In the past we have had different players like Campion or Price that get discussed how they teach the young guys what it means to be a professional footballer. Looking at the way the Panthers and his family talk about JFH we have got a good one for that coming to the club.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
JFH is consistently top tier - the classic measure being his games are never lower than a 7. We need that at the Wahs! I agree with the sentiment that people say which is that he makes the whole team better. When was the last time we had a player of his calibre and his intimidation play for us?

On another but related note. He needs to be captain. He will sign another 2 year contract with us so minimum has 5 years. Make him captain, raise the mana levels, and set the standard.

NRL 2024: James Fisher-Harris reveals reason for leaving Penrith Panthers and returning to New Zealand​

Penrith enforcer James Fisher-Harris shocked the rugby league world when he asked the reigning premiers for a release to join the Warriors. Now the three-time premiership prop has revealed the reason why he is walking away from the Panthers.
Fatima KdouhFatima Kdouh
Follow

@FatimaKdouh_

5 min read
September 25, 2024 - 6:00AM
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../f17f00210da00e918249784a777b6357#share-tools
NRL
Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
James Fisher-Harris is ready to go from being the fearsome leader of Penrith’s pack to the ‘captain’ of his family in New Zealand.
The journey started for the three-time premiership winner when he returned home in March to farewell his grandfather, who was also the leader of the family, with a traditional Māori funeral.
For days after, the spirit of his “tupuna” was calling him home and Fisher-Harris could not ignore it.
Nor could he ignore the responsibility that is waiting for him, to take over as the head of the Fisher-Harris family in Kohukohu on New Zealand’s north island.
“Home is calling. Tupuna (grandfather) is calling to me to go back,” Fisher-Harris told this masthead.
“Me moving back is not about footy. It’s my family. I want to learn more about my culture and take over as the leader in my family and in the tradition of Maori ways, our tikanga.”
“When my pop passed earlier this year, that was it, it’s then I knew I had to make a decision.”
James Fisher-Harris at his grandfather's funeral back in March.

Those traditions deeply rooted in family and culture left Fisher-Harris with a heart-wrenching choice.
To stay in Penrith surrounded by the teammates that had become his Australian family or to ask for a release from the final two years of his deal to embark on a new journey across the ditch.
Fisher-Harris agonised over the decision even though he knew deep down that rising as the kaumātua (leader) of his whānau (family) would be a feat greater than anything the 28-year old has achieved on the footy field.

“It feels like a responsibility bigger than rugby league, it feels like a new way to lead, leading in a new direction” Fisher-Harris said.
“It’s like being the captain of your family.
“In saying that, that’s a title I still have to earn, one that I want to earn. That’s no easy feat, I just feel like being home practising to take over as the head of my family is something I have to do.”
James Fisher Harris is returning to New Zealand to learn more about his Maori culture

James Fisher Harris is returning to New Zealand to learn more about his Maori culture
Those around Fisher-Harris know him as a natural born leader, despite his soft-spoken demeanour.
Fisher-Harris has helped set the standards that have underpinned Penrith’s unwavering work ethic as the club emerged as a premiership powerhouse in recent years, and his teammates have eagerly followed in the path he has forged.
In the 11 seasons Fisher-Harris has spent at the foot of the mountains the Kiwi international has always preferred to lead with his actions, both on and off the field, rather than his voice.
For Fisher-Harris leading his Penrith forward pack of Moses Leota, Liam Martin, Isaah Yeo, Lindsay Smith and Liam Henry against Cronulla in Saturday’s preliminary final will come easy.
But he admitted standing before his tribe in Kohukohu will be a challenge bigger than Penrith’s quest for a fourth-straight title.
James Fisher Harris with his wife Natalie, daughter Tahira and son Deon

“A marae is a gathering place for funerals and other religious services, where the family leader has to speak. I’m definitely not confident enough to do it right now,” Fisher-Harris said.
“But I want to learn because with my pop passing away and other Kaumātua getting older, that responsibility will be passed on to me.”
Fisher-Harris had to find his voice, and the courage, to tell coach Ivan Cleary that the time he spent in New Zealand farewelling his grandfather had not only changed the trajectory of his life, but his career.
Fisher-Harris holds Cleary in such high esteem, the prop informed the coach of his desire to move back home even before even his own manager.
“It was pretty tough. I’m pretty quiet and Ivan is pretty quiet so lucky I had my step dad with me in the meeting, because he could articulate things better,” Fisher Harris said.
“I try to articulate things but I can beat around the bush a little bit. But I finally managed to get it out, he was a bit shocked.
“He didn’t know what was going on but at the end of the day he cares about me, and he could understand what I was feeling.”
In a whirlwind 72 hours after that meeting with Cleary in April, Fisher-Harris would have a new four-year deal to join the Warriors from 2025.
It was an emotional moment when James Fisher-Harris announced his departure from Penrith. Picture: Matt Blyth/Getty Images

It was an emotional moment when James Fisher-Harris announced his departure from Penrith. Picture: Matt Blyth/Getty Images
The Warriors could hardly believe their luck, that the game’s pre-eminent prop had landed in their lap after only releasing Addin Fonua-Blake to join Cronulla six months earlier.
But Fisher-Harris knows in the business that is rugby league, his request to walk away from the only club he has known could have easily turned into the ‘nightmare’ of endless headlines.
“They could have easily made things a nightmare if they wanted to,” Fisher-Harris said.
“Respect to the club and respect to Ivan for the way they went about it … they know I have given my all to this club that I love it so much.
“And they know the reasons why, it wasn’t for anything else other than me being called back and that New Zealand is the only club I’d go to.”
Fisher-Harris’ impending exit will not only leave a huge void in Penrith’s roster but also mark the end of an era for his frontrow partnership with Leota. Or as they are endearingly known by teammates, the ‘bash brothers’.
The duo have been thick as thieves since the first day Fisher-Harris arrived at Penrith as a 17-year old back in 2013, their friendship forged through a common trait – shyness.
Moses Leota and James Fisher-Harris have formed a powerful bond in their time together at Penrith. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Moses Leota and James Fisher-Harris have formed a powerful bond in their time together at Penrith. Picture: Jonathan Ng
“That’s why we were so close, we were both very reserved and never said much. When he first came through he was a bit like me in that. I think that brought us closer together,” Leota said.
“It will be emotional to see him leave. Fish and I have been through a lot.
“We’ve been a big part of each other’s lives both on and off the field. He’s the godfather of my son Kyrie and I’m the godfather of his son Deon.”
The props have turned the ‘bash brothers’ moniker into a clothing label and hope future business endeavours, like creating a rugby league academy in New Zealand, will only strengthen the bond between the best friends.
“It would help kids who were like me that had to come here to Australia really young to play rugby league stay in New Zealand longer. Just thinking back to when I was young, and what would have helped me and benefited others like me to make chasing an NRL career a bit easier,” Fisher-Harris said.
“We just want to give back.”
But for now, Fisher-Harris only has one thing on his mind – giving back to the Panthers the only way he knows how.
“I know the end of my time here is inevitable but I’m focused on one thing, winning the title,” Fisher-Harris said.
“That’s how I’m wired. That’s the way I’m trying to pay back the club for everything it has done for me.”

NRL 2024: James Fisher-Harris reveals reason for leaving Penrith Panthers and returning to New Zealand​

Penrith enforcer James Fisher-Harris shocked the rugby league world when he asked the reigning premiers for a release to join the Warriors. Now the three-time premiership prop has revealed the reason why he is walking away from the Panthers.
Fatima KdouhFatima Kdouh
Follow
@FatimaKdouh_

5 min read
September 25, 2024 - 6:00AM
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../f17f00210da00e918249784a777b6357#share-tools
NRL
Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
James Fisher-Harris is ready to go from being the fearsome leader of Penrith’s pack to the ‘captain’ of his family in New Zealand.
The journey started for the three-time premiership winner when he returned home in March to farewell his grandfather, who was also the leader of the family, with a traditional Māori funeral.
For days after, the spirit of his “tupuna” was calling him home and Fisher-Harris could not ignore it.
Nor could he ignore the responsibility that is waiting for him, to take over as the head of the Fisher-Harris family in Kohukohu on New Zealand’s north island.
“Home is calling. Tupuna (grandfather) is calling to me to go back,” Fisher-Harris told this masthead.
“Me moving back is not about footy. It’s my family. I want to learn more about my culture and take over as the leader in my family and in the tradition of Maori ways, our tikanga.”
“When my pop passed earlier this year, that was it, it’s then I knew I had to make a decision.”
James Fisher-Harris at his grandfather's funeral back in March.'s funeral back in March.

Those traditions deeply rooted in family and culture left Fisher-Harris with a heart-wrenching choice.
To stay in Penrith surrounded by the teammates that had become his Australian family or to ask for a release from the final two years of his deal to embark on a new journey across the ditch.
Fisher-Harris agonised over the decision even though he knew deep down that rising as the kaumātua (leader) of his whānau (family) would be a feat greater than anything the 28-year old has achieved on the footy field.

“It feels like a responsibility bigger than rugby league, it feels like a new way to lead, leading in a new direction” Fisher-Harris said.
“It’s like being the captain of your family.
“In saying that, that’s a title I still have to earn, one that I want to earn. That’s no easy feat, I just feel like being home practising to take over as the head of my family is something I have to do.”

Those around Fisher-Harris know him as a natural born leader, despite his soft-spoken demeanour.
Fisher-Harris has helped set the standards that have underpinned Penrith’s unwavering work ethic as the club emerged as a premiership powerhouse in recent years, and his teammates have eagerly followed in the path he has forged.
In the 11 seasons Fisher-Harris has spent at the foot of the mountains the Kiwi international has always preferred to lead with his actions, both on and off the field, rather than his voice.
For Fisher-Harris leading his Penrith forward pack of Moses Leota, Liam Martin, Isaah Yeo, Lindsay Smith and Liam Henry against Cronulla in Saturday’s preliminary final will come easy.
But he admitted standing before his tribe in Kohukohu will be a challenge bigger than Penrith’s quest for a fourth-straight title.

“A marae is a gathering place for funerals and other religious services, where the family leader has to speak. I’m definitely not confident enough to do it right now,” Fisher-Harris said.
“But I want to learn because with my pop passing away and other Kaumātua getting older, that responsibility will be passed on to me.”
Fisher-Harris had to find his voice, and the courage, to tell coach Ivan Cleary that the time he spent in New Zealand farewelling his grandfather had not only changed the trajectory of his life, but his career.
Fisher-Harris holds Cleary in such high esteem, the prop informed the coach of his desire to move back home even before even his own manager.
“It was pretty tough. I’m pretty quiet and Ivan is pretty quiet so lucky I had my step dad with me in the meeting, because he could articulate things better,” Fisher Harris said.
“I try to articulate things but I can beat around the bush a little bit. But I finally managed to get it out, he was a bit shocked.
“He didn’t know what was going on but at the end of the day he cares about me, and he could understand what I was feeling.”
In a whirlwind 72 hours after that meeting with Cleary in April, Fisher-Harris would have a new four-year deal to join the Warriors from 2025.

The Warriors could hardly believe their luck, that the game’s pre-eminent prop had landed in their lap after only releasing Addin Fonua-Blake to join Cronulla six months earlier.
But Fisher-Harris knows in the business that is rugby league, his request to walk away from the only club he has known could have easily turned into the ‘nightmare’ of endless headlines.
“They could have easily made things a nightmare if they wanted to,” Fisher-Harris said.
“Respect to the club and respect to Ivan for the way they went about it … they know I have given my all to this club that I love it so much.
“And they know the reasons why, it wasn’t for anything else other than me being called back and that New Zealand is the only club I’d go to.”
Fisher-Harris’ impending exit will not only leave a huge void in Penrith’s roster but also mark the end of an era for his frontrow partnership with Leota. Or as they are endearingly known by teammates, the ‘bash brothers’.
The duo have been thick as thieves since the first day Fisher-Harris arrived at Penrith as a 17-year old back in 2013, their friendship forged through a common trait – shyness.

“That’s why we were so close, we were both very reserved and never said much. When he first came through he was a bit like me in that. I think that brought us closer together,” Leota said.
“It will be emotional to see him leave. Fish and I have been through a lot.
“We’ve been a big part of each other’s lives both on and off the field. He’s the godfather of my son Kyrie and I’m the godfather of his son Deon.”
The props have turned the ‘bash brothers’ moniker into a clothing label and hope future business endeavours, like creating a rugby league academy in New Zealand, will only strengthen the bond between the best friends.
“It would help kids who were like me that had to come here to Australia really young to play rugby league stay in New Zealand longer. Just thinking back to when I was young, and what would have helped me and benefited others like me to make chasing an NRL career a bit easier,” Fisher-Harris said.
“We just want to give back.”
But for now, Fisher-Harris only has one thing on his mind – giving back to the Panthers the only way he knows how.
“I know the end of my time here is inevitable but I’m focused on one thing, winning the title,” Fisher-Harris said.
“That’s how I’m wired. That’s the way I’m trying to pay back the club for everything it has done for me.”
Just read that on my subscription, thanks for loading, I was starting a copy paste job myself. Great man will be a hell of an influence on his young teammates.

No disrespect to AFB but JFH feels a perfect fit. He knows how to get it done. Wouldn’t mind betting his pal comes over one day as well.

Loved reading setting up an academy together in NZ. Great article, hats off to Fatima Kdouh.

P.S. some delusional Sharks fans had to reference Nicho in comments FFS!!!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
JFH is whanaunaga, we come from the same marae (Tohu Harris does too). To hear his words about standing there is bone-chilling. We don't have many kaumatua who speak (don't get me wrong we do though). As part of the urban migration, many Māori from the Hokianga left for Tāmaki Makaurau. They maintained the connections but many departed from there. JFH was born and raised there so I can only imagine the pull as well. On our whenua, we were never defeated because our tupuna were warriors. Kohukohu is the first place Kupe stepped foot in Aotearoa. All these things add up, and to me his move back home is indicative of the mana he has and the calling to be a rangatira.

Also good news for JFH, the developments on the motorway means its only a 4 and a bit drive from Mt Smart to Kohukohu (I live next to Mt Smart so I know lol).

So all in all.. .Ngāi Tūpoto maranga mai! Hokianga maranga mai! Warriors maranga mai!
Haramai tētahi āhua

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement