General Rate our Warriors season

Rate the 2023 Warrior season against other years.

• Best season ever

• Top 2

• Top 3

• Top 5

• Top 8

• Top 10

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was too young to remember 2002, but my top 3 are 2007, 2011 & 2023.
2002 was the year the Warriors changed the competition by introducing a style of Rugby league never seen before.

Ironically the Broncos just did a 2002 on us the other night.

In 2002 we had the biggest forward pack in the comp, it was ridiculous.

Starting props would bash the shit out of the opposition pack, which obviously the fans loved, and then they would come off the field and be replaced by even bigger dudes who looked and played like Night Club bouncers and beat on the poor bastards even more.

So yeah it was an incredible year as a fan, you knew your team was going to start with George Foreman and send on Mike Tyson off the bench.

They also had the most violent Winger since Eric Growth (legendary Eels giant winger thug that bashed the comp in the 80s) our version Francis Meli used to line up the Center and send them to hospital in an ambulance.

All the teams we played lost their games the following week because they had not recovered from their bruising.

We had the Michael Jordan of Rugby league in Ali Lauitiiti, and the Dennis Rodman in Sione Faumuina.

Clinton Toopi was the best Center in the world, no one in the NRL disagreed.

And out of all the most feared players in the comp, we had an Aussie whose nickname (well earned) was Villa the Gorilla, and he was a fucken Gorilla knocking dudes into HIA land left right and center.

We were the most feared team in the competition.

The fact we lost that NRL GF was a shock to all, especially since we beat up the Roosters that year.

The team was so good they were deep in the finals the following year.

But you have to wonder why we never won the last dance with that side because it is to this day the greatest Warriors team that ever played Rugby league....and In my rant I never even mentioned the goat Stacey Jones or his co captain the man who brought Aussie steele to the Warriors Kevin Campion.

I have to plug PJ Marsh, as good as Egan is, PJ was the best hooker we ever had till he had his spine munted and his career ended early,

2002 is the only side that lost a GF to an inferior opponent, we were the best that year and we should have won it.

It is really funny listening to the two best players in the world of that era (Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler) talk about playing at Mt Smart, they make it sound like playing on Skull Island with the drums and the 'big dude' factory running at them.

Last edited:
Inruin’s Completely Unbiased Thoughts, Questions and Concerns

By the end of 2021 I was pretty much done with Rugby League and The Warriors. I had gone from a diehard fan, watching every game of every round, Rugby League Week and Big-League magazines used to be my bibles before the interweb took over, regularly buying collector cards and merchandise – to being done. It’s difficult to pinpoint where it all changed. I would probably say it started from the 2012 season and the decisions the club had made since. A slow erosion over a decade or so to a point of apathy. Sure, there were blips of hope through those years, but even the Kearney 2018 year of making the finals was a boring style of play and a complete lack of emotional attachment. It was frustrating watching a team, my team, playing like they were, without an apparent pride in the jersey or a willingness to put the effort in and compete for 80 minutes. It just made me angry and I didn’t find it enjoyable. It wasn’t a fun experience anymore. I know the Covid years were tough, but I was at a point where I had better things to invest my time, energy and money in. I still checked the results, watched the odd highlights. Like it or not, agree with it or not, that’s where I was at and unfortunately, I know plenty of people were feeling the same.

So, the end of the 2022 season came and all it really did was reinforce what I had thought. We just avoided our first wooden spoon finishing 15th with the worst defensive record in the competition, an only slightly better attacking record, RTS had left to try Union the season before, Reece Walsh got ‘home sick’ and was released, Lodge getting kicked out by the ‘Alpha’ owner, Nathan Brown resigning and Stacey Jones taking over for the last 11 rounds making comments after games “It was tough. Too many guys just didn't turn up tonight. We didn't have enough players that wanted to play for the jersey” and “We probably had eight or nine blokes on the field that had a poor attitude, and it showed what can happen. You get some blokes that have a dig, but you need 13 blokes on the field to work together”. Damning words from an absolute legend of the club.

Hardly inspiring stuff to get me invested again.

But then something happened. Or rather, a number of things happened.

Our recruitment interested me initially. Charnze coming back home. I wasn’t overly fussed that he left us but seeing how he lifted his game playing for the Raiders you knew we would have a very solid fullback who would compete for everything. Dylan Walker, another hard-nosed competitor who I thought might fill a centre spot for us. TMM, versatile but handy for the halves and I had seen what he could do there for the Kiwis and for previous clubs. Niukore and Barnett, OK, OK. Strengthening up our forward pack, I get it. Jackson Ford? Who? Depth is needed I guess. Competitors. I liked it. A lot.

Andrew Mcfadden coming back! I actually rated him as a coach with his first stint with us so I’m happy with that. He’s not going to be the coach? General manager of recruitment, development and pathways? Interesting… He has been here before, knows the club and the country, obviously wants to be here. Junior teams and pathways being reintroduced by the club. Cappy. Good option. I like it. Actually, I like it a lot.

So… who is this guy, Andrew Webster? The club kept that very quiet, and his signing was pretty much out of the blue for me. Knew he had been here before but I’m going to have to get Mr Google to help me out a bit filling in the blanks. Hmm, seems like he has done the hard yards. Didn’t sign previously because he didn’t feel the time was right… not just going to jump at whatever gig is offered up. Interesting. There is something about this guy that I like, has been here before with Cappy and he wants to be here long term. Hearing him speak about getting our identity, working hard and effort, resilience, accountability… I’m loving that… actions have to back up the words though mate…. Resilience. Hmmm. I don’t like that, I love it. I love it a lot.

Still lots of question marks for me but I’m intrigued enough now to see what happens. Can’t hurt to give him until Bluey’s round, can it? What would I like to see….. effort, commitment, competing for everything, some actual structure to our play would be great. Obviously want the results, but as long as I can see improvement and we look like we are heading in the right direction then its all good. And if we can finish the season competing for maybe a 6th – 10th spot on the ladder, that would be awesome, IF all that other stuff is there behind it. I mean, the squad is ok but there are obvious issues in a number of positions.

Bluey’s round has come and gone. 4 wins, 2 losses including a magical comeback win away against the Sharks. Still lots to work on, but man, for the most part I like what I’m seeing. Tough run of games coming up. That will be very testing and a proper indication of where we are at.

Anzac Day. The traditional game against Melbourne. Usually an embarrassing thrashing. I’m not expecting a win but I’m hoping we are competitive and make a contest out of it. Jesus, what have I just watched? We almost out Melbourned Melbourne in Melbourne! For years I have been frustrated watching other teams like the Storm run in tries against us with their wingers untouched and when we try it, we are bundled in to touch by two or three players. The Storm are lucky to get away with that game. Shots Fired! I’m convinced now we have something happening this year.

Coming in to Round 15 we are 6th on the table and a positive points differential with the Raiders up next. In Canberra. Crockers 300th game. A first half of absorbing everything Canberra could throw at us. We go in at halftime down 8-6 thanks to an unlucky ricochet try to Jack Wighton. Webster has been talking about resilience all year. How much has that first half taken out of us? Bang, bang, bang, bang. 4 tries in 19 minutes answers everyone’s questions. The Raiders look like George Foreman up against Ali. They threw everything and were out on their feet. We took it all, then showed them how to play. It was a thing of beauty watching a side move from plan A to plan B, right through to plan F and having no answers, being helpless as we clinically put them away. Wow! Just WOW!

We come out of the bye and put on some big scores in 3 out of our next 4 games including a dismantling of the Sharks. The Raiders almost get their revenge the following round after we were in control for the majority of the game. We squeak home in golden point. I wonder how much of an effect that had on the team heading in to the bye. We finish off the season after this in fairly unconvincing fashion but still winning the majority of our games.

We finish the regular season in 4th with 16 wins, 8 losses, positive points differential of 124, exceeding all expectations. We are in the finals, guaranteed two games and one of those at home! Seriously unbelievable stuff. The swell of support is well deserved. We have a team we can be proud of win lose or draw. A team that is showing pride and effort in their performance and are playing to a plan, playing to a structure.

The first final is a disappointing performance. The Panthers are far too strong and clinical. It highlights not only the gap between perhaps the top 2 teams and the rest, but also the influence SJ has on this team. We don’t really fire a shot and to me looks like we revert to individuals doing their own thing rather than trusting in the structure. Still, its good to get a taste of finals football again and we get a second go at it back at Mt Smart.

The poor Knights take the full force of an SJ led Warriors side with one of the best crowd atmospheres seen, or rather heard, for a long time. It felt like Newcastle were struggling after having to play what was basically sudden death football for 10 or 11 games and we were brutally efficient at putting them away. After the last few rounds of the season and the game against the Panthers, questions were being asked about whether we could get back to our style of play from earlier in the season. Answered emphatically, with an explanation mark.

The Broncos are almost a bridge to far. We have our moments, but really, we were out played by a better team. The game for me highlights the issues we have had for the season but have managed to largely overcome through effort, resilience and team-work. We deserve to be in the 8 and playing finals football. We were consistent enough through the season to land in the top 4. There is clearly a gap between the top two teams and the following pack which we need to close up.

An amazing season after years of mediocrity. It wasn’t Warrior ball from days gone past, but I’ll take this new style any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Loved some of the trick shots we did and would love to see them utilised in games more consistently. A number of players have had career best seasons. SJ, Egan, CNK, AFB, and the list goes on. They have already and will receive more well deserved recognition from their peers. The club has found its identity and re-engaged with the community, had record crowd numbers, sold out Mt Smart, sold out merchandise and we have a stable head office with football at the front of mind. A massive turnaround from where the focus seemed to be more on making as many different jerseys as we possibly can. We are selling more jerseys now than ever and the focus has been on getting the club and the team right, the merchandise sales have followed on from that. Andrew Webster. The right man, at the right time and in the right place. We are so lucky to have secured him and I just love everything about his approach. He doesn’t make excuses. I love that he refuses to blame the refs for any of our results. They are human, they make mistakes. But keeping the focus on what we can control is clearly the best way forward. Player accountability and not excuses. For too long the mantra seemed to be sack the coach or the refs are against us. Webster has in one season single handedly changed the culture. He has removed any player power, and excuses, and the further on we have gone the better we got. Resilience. I fucking love that.

An absolutely incredible year but I guess there are still some concerns and questions heading in to the next season. Some things that I have begun to ponder over the last week or so.

We didn’t beat any of the other top 4 sides this year at all. We are 0 for 5. Depending on the draw next season we may end up playing these teams more than once in the regular season. That’s a very real concern and will obviously affect where we finish on the ladder.

A number of players had career best seasons. Can they lift again and reproduce that? It takes time for that to be bedded in and become the norm. Some need to improve even further. For example, DWZ has been amazing with his finishing but it’s no surprise that the good teams are running attacking plays his way. Can he develop his defensive side of his game to take him to where every player needs to be?

Was this season a one hit wonder or will everyone buy in to the process and structures next season as well? I don’t think Webster will let them slip, but we have already heard him say that in some games players have gone away from what we have been trying to do. Another off season to build on where we are at may just take us another step or two forward.

We are heavily reliant on SJ to organise, kick, create and everything else he does. He managed to play all but 2 games this season which has been brilliant and his form destroyed my preseason thoughts on how he was going to go this year. Two things that have been highlighted this year is 1) when he is out we don’t look good at all and 2) we lack genuine gamebreakers that can create to take the pressure off him. If you look at the Broncos they have Reynolds controlling things and still have Walsh, Stagg, Farnworth, Cobbo as genuine threats with speed and tackle breaking ability. RTS may help address this to a degree.

On RTS, I’m hoping he slots in to centre easily. I think he is professional enough and driven enough to give it a really good shot. He will be having to make more decisions and tackles in defence than he probably has ever had too. Can he draw and pass and create for his winger? Will he provide the extra Xfactor that we need or be more misses than hits? Which side will he play and who will be his centre partner? Pompey? Berry? Leiataua? Montoya?

TMM versus Metcalf versus someone else? You just need a solid 6 to work with a 90% playmaker half in SJ. For me this is a no brainer and it’s TMM at 6. He only managed a few games to start the season and to finish it, and for the most part against very high quality opposition. He is strong in defence and our outside backs look better with him there distributing – it’s no surprise to me that Montoya seemed back to his best once he started to get good early ball again. I will be shocked if TMM isn’t starting at 6 in round 1 next season. Our left edge for the season had a 22% try contribution, the lowest in the NRL which is not surprising given Metcalf and Walker played 6 for the majority of the season there. It will be interesting to see where Metcalf fits in to the first grade team next season, if at all. Personally, I think he has all the playing characteristics of a winger or fullback. Not completely convinced his speed is as good as some make out and also not sold on whether he has the ticker.

Our forward pack and bench is an interesting dilemma. Websters selections threw up a lot of WTF moments initially but for the most part our smaller, faster bench proved to be effective. Against bigger teams in slow conditions we did get found out though. I think we lack a genuine propping partner for AFB, he has a lot to carry on his shoulders. Barnett for me is a good 15, kind of stuck between being too big as a second rower but not really a prop either. Niukore has had some great games but also been invisible for long periods. Curran brings lots of energy and is too good to be only playing 25 – 30 minutes. Ford has been the big surprise for me this year. Didn’t know anything about him but his motor impresses me. He should be better for the experience this season and he is still quite young. How long can Tohu go on for? I love him but he can’t play 80 minutes every game. Egan is awesome and the service he delivers is a big part of our success this season. I worry that he is getting smacked around too much and I think he needs a 20 minute spell each game. Walker was superb coming off the bench. Our attack just came alive when he came on. I never had him playing off the bench and in the middle of the field but he is indispensable there. Jazz seems to be in favour but I honestly am not sure where he fits now. We definitely miss an impact player that can put defenders on their ass with strong runs and break open the game. So for me a bench of Walker, Barnett or Barnett to start and impact forward on bench (not Jazz) , Curran and maybe CHT as a utility to cover Egan for 20 minutes a game is how the bench could be made up.

Which of our local youth are ready to take the next step up and who do they replace in the 17? It’s been truly exciting to see Webster’s next man up philosophy in action. We have gone from a who do we pick type scenario to having good depth in the squad. The Volkman non selection for the Panthers game being the rare exception to the rule.

Who joins us in the next month or so? Or, is who we have now the squad we will be going with?

Is next year our shot at the title? The window is small IMO. SJ only has next season or maybe another assuming he remains injury free. For me, next year is everything or we rebuild over the next 3 – 4 years to challenge for the title some time then.

My last hope is that everyone still gets behind the team and supports them and Webster. There are going to be inevitable bad times or results, whether through injuries, form or whatever. We have the coach we have been seeking for a long time. But he isn’t a miracle worker. Well maybe he is 😊

I really dislike the ‘Up the Wahs’ but it’s certainly taken off and captured the imagination of the public. You can’t deny that in a union dominated country in the middle of the world cup campaign The Warriors are all anyone is talking about. That is amazing in itself. But I guess it’s hardly surprising when….

We are the power
We are the speed
We are the skills
That’s all we’re gonna need
Get up and shout, say it ‘til the end
We are the Warriors 100 per cent!

How can the All blacks compete with that?

Last edited:
Agree but Cleary had built the foundations for success here after getting us to the GF. He literally had to start from scratch again taking over another basket case club in WT. So frustrating to see.

Everyone had bought in by the end of 2011 and it was completely torn down in a matter of months .. 6 rounds to be exact .,.
For it to fall over in 6 rounds would suggest it may have been a bit of a house of cards to start with. Cleary also got moved on from Penrith, he needed to (and has) evolve from tackle bots and kick to Manu as his sole game plan.
Our x factor players and ‘promising youth’ in Inu,Mateo, Vatuvei, Locke and Packer all had band aids on behavioural/professionalism issues that were ticking time bombs. Think it’s a bit of a false narrative that we were set to go to the next level with Cleary and I suspect he would’ve become the Tigers version eventually with the similar ways our clubs were run

By the end of 2021 I was pretty much done with Rugby League and The Warriors. I had gone from a diehard fan, watching every game of every round, Rugby League Week and Big-League magazines used to be my bibles before the interweb took over, regularly buying collector cards and merchandise – to being done. It’s difficult to pinpoint where it all changed. I would probably say it started from the 2012 season and the decisions the club had made since. A slow erosion over a decade or so to a point of apathy. Sure, there were blips of hope through those years, but even the Kearney 2018 year of making the finals was a boring style of play and a complete lack of emotional attachment. It was frustrating watching a team, my team, playing like they were, without an apparent pride in the jersey or a willingness to put the effort in and compete for 80 minutes. It just made me angry and I didn’t find it enjoyable. It wasn’t a fun experience anymore. I know the Covid years were tough, but I was at a point where I had better things to invest my time, energy and money in. I still checked the results, watched the odd highlights. Like it or not, agree with it or not, that’s where I was at and unfortunately, I know plenty of people were feeling the same.

So, the end of the 2022 season came and all it really did was reinforce what I had thought. We just avoided our first wooden spoon finishing 15th with the worst defensive record in the competition, an only slightly better attacking record, RTS had left to try Union the season before, Reece Walsh got ‘home sick’ and was released, Lodge getting kicked out by the ‘Alpha’ owner, Nathan Brown resigning and Stacey Jones taking over for the last 11 rounds making comments after games “It was tough. Too many guys just didn't turn up tonight. We didn't have enough players that wanted to play for the jersey” and “We probably had eight or nine blokes on the field that had a poor attitude, and it showed what can happen. You get some blokes that have a dig, but you need 13 blokes on the field to work together”. Damning words from an absolute legend of the club.

Our recruitment interested me initially. Charnze coming back home. I wasn’t overly fussed that he left us but seeing how he lifted his game playing for the Raiders you knew we would have a very solid fullback who would compete for everything. Dylan Walker, another hard-nosed competitor who I thought might fill a centre spot for us. TMM, versatile but handy for the halves and I had seen what he could do there for the Kiwis and for previous clubs. Niukore and Barnett, OK, OK. Strengthening up our forward pack, I get it. Jackson Ford? Who? Depth is needed I guess. Competitors. I liked it. A lot.

Andrew Mcfadden coming back! I actually rated him as a coach with his first stint with us so I’m happy with that. He’s not going to be the coach? General manager of recruitment, development and pathways? Interesting… He has been here before, knows the club and the country, obviously wants to be here. Junior teams and pathways being reintroduced by the club. Cappy. Good option. I like it. Actually, I like it a lot.

So… who is this guy, Andrew Webster? The club kept that very quiet, and his signing was pretty much out of the blue for me. Knew he had been here before but I’m going to have to get Mr Google to help me out a bit filling in the blanks. Hmm, seems like he has done the hard yards. Didn’t sign previously because he didn’t feel the time was right… not just going to jump at whatever gig is offered up. Interesting. There is something about this guy that I like, has been here before with Cappy and he wants to be here long term. Hearing him speak about getting our identity, working hard and effort, resilience, accountability… I’m loving that… actions have to back up the words though mate…. Resilience. Hmmm. I don’t like that, I love it. I love it a lot.

Still lots of question marks for me but I’m intrigued enough now to see what happens. Can’t hurt to give him until Bluey’s round, can it? What would I like to see….. effort, commitment, competing for everything, some actual structure to our play would be great. Obviously want the results, but as long as I can see improvement and we look like we are heading in the right direction then its all good. And if we can finish the season competing for maybe a 6th – 10th spot on the ladder, that would be awesome, IF all that other stuff is there behind it. I mean, the squad is ok but there are obvious issues in a number of positions.

Bluey’s round has come and gone. 4 wins, 2 losses including a magical comeback win away against the Sharks. Still lots to work on, but man, for the most part I like what I’m seeing. Tough run of games coming up. That will be very testing and a proper indication of where we are at.

Anzac Day. The traditional game against Melbourne. Usually an embarrassing thrashing. I’m not expecting a win but I’m hoping we are competitive and make a contest out of it. Jesus, what have I just watched? We almost out Melbourned Melbourne in Melbourne! For years I have been frustrated watching other teams like the Storm run in tries against us with their wingers untouched and when we try it, we are bundled in to touch by two or three players. The Storm are lucky to get away with that game. Shots Fired! I’m convinced now we have something happening this year.

Coming in to Round 15 we are 6th on the table and a positive points differential with the Raiders up next. In Canberra. Crockers 300th game. A first half of absorbing everything Canberra could throw at us. We go in at halftime down 8-6 thanks to an unlucky ricochet try to Jack Wighton. Webster has been talking about resilience all year. How much has that first half taken out of us? Bang, bang, bang, bang. 4 tries in 19 minutes answers everyone’s questions. The Raiders look like George Foreman up against Ali. They threw everything and were out on their feet. We took it all, then showed them how to play. It was a thing of beauty watching a side move from plan A to plan B, right through to plan F and having no answers, being helpless as we clinically put them away. Wow! Just WOW!

We come out of the bye and put on some big scores in 3 out of our next 4 games including a dismantling of the Sharks. The Raiders almost get their revenge the following round after we were in control for the majority of the game. We squeak home in golden point. I wonder how much of an effect that had on the team heading in to the bye. We finish off the season after this in fairly unconvincing fashion but still winning the majority of our games.

We finish the regular season in 4th with 16 wins, 8 losses, positive points differential of 124, exceeding all expectations. We are in the finals, guaranteed two games and one of those at home! Seriously unbelievable stuff. The swell of support is well deserved. We have a team we can be proud of win lose or draw. A team that is showing pride and effort in their performance and are playing to a plan, playing to a structure.

The first final is a disappointing performance. The Panthers are far too strong and clinical. It highlights not only the gap between perhaps the top 2 teams and the rest, but also the influence SJ has on this team. We don’t really fire a shot and to me looks like we revert to individuals doing their own thing rather than trusting in the structure. Still, its good to get a taste of finals football again and we get a second go at it back at Mt Smart.

The poor Knights take the full force of an SJ led Warriors side with one of the best crowd atmospheres seen, or rather heard, for a long time. It felt like Newcastle were struggling after having to play what was basically sudden death football for 10 or 11 games and we were brutally efficient at putting them away. After the last few rounds of the season and the game against the Panthers, questions were being asked about whether we could get back to our style of play from earlier in the season. Answered emphatically, with an explanation mark.

The Broncos are almost a bridge to far. We have our moments, but really, we were out played by a better team. The game for me highlights the issues we have had for the season but have managed to largely overcome through effort, resilience and team-work. We deserve to be in the 8 and playing finals football. We were consistent enough through the season to land in the top 4. There is clearly a gap between the top two teams and the following pack which we need to close up.

An amazing season after years of mediocrity. It wasn’t Warrior ball from days gone past, but I’ll take this new style any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Loved some of the trick shots we did and would love to see them utilised in games more consistently. A number of players have had career best seasons. SJ, Egan, CNK, AFB, and the list goes on. They have already and will receive more well deserved recognition from their peers. The club has found its identity and re-engaged with the community, had record crowd numbers, sold out Mt Smart, sold out merchandise and we have a stable head office with football at the front of mind. A massive turnaround from where the focus seemed to be more on making as many different jerseys as we possibly can. We are selling more jerseys now than ever and the focus has been on getting the club and the team right, the merchandise sales have followed on from that. Andrew Webster. The right man, at the right time and in the right place. We are so lucky to have secured him and I just love everything about his approach. He doesn’t make excuses. I love that he refuses to blame the refs for any of our results. They are human, they make mistakes. But keeping the focus on what we can control is clearly the best way forward. Player accountability and not excuses. For too long the mantra seemed to be sack the coach or the refs are against us. Webster has in one season single handedly changed the culture. He has removed any player power, and excuses, and the further on we have gone the better we got. Resilience. I fucking love that.

An absolutely incredible year but I guess there are still some concerns and questions heading in to the next season. Some things that I have begun to ponder over the last week or so.

We didn’t beat any of the other top 4 sides this year at all. We are 0 for 5. Depending on the draw next season we may end up playing these teams more than once in the regular season. That’s a very real concern and will obviously affect where we finish on the ladder.

A number of players had career best seasons. Can they lift again and reproduce that? It takes time for that to be bedded in and become the norm. Some need to improve even further. For example, DWZ has been amazing with his finishing but it’s no surprise that the good teams are running attacking plays his way. Can he develop his defensive side of his game to take him to where every player needs to be?

Was this season a one hit wonder or will everyone buy in to the process and structures next season as well? I don’t think Webster will let them slip, but we have already heard him say that in some games players have gone away from what we have been trying to do. Another off season to build on where we are at may just take us another step or two forward.

We are heavily reliant on SJ to organise, kick, create and everything else he does. He managed to play all but 2 games this season which has been brilliant and his form destroyed my preseason thoughts on how he was going to go this year. Two things that have been highlighted this year is 1) when he is out we don’t look good at all and 2) we lack genuine gamebreakers that can create to take the pressure off him. If you look at the Broncos they have Reynolds controlling things and still have Walsh, Stagg, Farnworth, Cobbo as genuine threats with speed and tackle breaking ability. RTS may help address this to a degree.

On RTS, I’m hoping he slots in to centre easily. I think he is professional enough and driven enough to give it a really good shot. He will be having to make more decisions and tackles in defence than he probably has ever had too. Can he draw and pass and create for his winger? Will he provide the extra Xfactor that we need or be more misses than hits? Which side will he play and who will be his centre partner? Pompey? Berry? Leiataua? Montoya?

TMM versus Metcalf versus someone else? You just need a solid 6 to work with a 90% playmaker half in SJ. For me this is a no brainer and it’s TMM at 6. He only managed a few games to start the season and to finish it, and for the most part against very high quality opposition. He is strong in defence and our outside backs look better with him there distributing – it’s no surprise to me that Montoya seemed back to his best once he started to get good early ball again. I will be shocked if TMM isn’t starting at 6 in round 1 next season. Our left edge for the season had a 22% try contribution, the lowest in the NRL which is not surprising given Metcalf and Walker played 6 for the majority of the season there. It will be interesting to see where Metcalf fits in to the first grade team next season, if at all. Personally, I think he has all the playing characteristics of a winger or fullback. Not completely convinced his speed is as good as some make out and also not sold on whether he has the ticker.

Our forward pack and bench is an interesting dilemma. Websters selections threw up a lot of WTF moments initially but for the most part our smaller, faster bench proved to be effective. Against bigger teams in slow conditions we did get found out though. I think we lack a genuine propping partner for AFB, he has a lot to carry on his shoulders. Barnett for me is a good 15, kind of stuck between being too big as a second rower but not really a prop either. Niukore has had some great games but also been invisible for long periods. Curran brings lots of energy and is too good to be only playing 25 – 30 minutes. Ford has been the big surprise for me this year. Didn’t know anything about him but his motor impresses me. He should be better for the experience this season and he is still quite young. How long can Tohu go on for? I love him but he can’t play 80 minutes every game. Egan is awesome and the service he delivers is a big part of our success this season. I worry that he is getting smacked around too much and I think he needs a 20 minute spell each game. Walker was superb coming off the bench. Our attack just came alive when he came on. I never had him playing off the bench and in the middle of the field but he is indispensable there. Jazz seems to be in favour but I honestly am not sure where he fits now. We definitely miss an impact player that can put defenders on their ass with strong runs and break open the game. So for me a bench of Walker, Barnett or Barnett to start and impact forward on bench (not Jazz) , Curran and maybe CHT as a utility to cover Egan for 20 minutes a game is how the bench could be made up.

Which of our local youth are ready to take the next step up and who do they replace in the 17? It’s been truly exciting to see Webster’s next man up philosophy in action. We have gone from a who do we pick type scenario to having good depth in the squad. The Volkman non selection for the Panthers game being the rare exception to the rule.

Who joins us in the next month or so? Or, is who we have now the squad we will be going with?

Is next year our shot at the title? The window is small IMO. SJ only has next season or maybe another assuming he remains injury free. For me, next year is everything or we rebuild over the next 3 – 4 years to challenge for the title some time then.

My last hope is that everyone still gets behind the team and supports them and Webster. There are going to be inevitable bad times or results, whether through injuries, form or whatever. We have the coach we have been seeking for a long time. But he isn’t a miracle worker. Well maybe he is 😊

I really dislike the ‘Up the Wahs’ but it’s certainly taken off and captured the imagination of the public. You can’t deny that in a union dominated country in the middle of the world cup campaign The Warriors are all anyone is talking about. That is amazing in itself. But I guess it’s hardly surprising when….

We are the power
We are the speed
We are the skills

Great post mate, echo a lot of my thoughts.

We are the power
We are the speed
We are the skills

What stage of your journey did you start turning into a ref?

Is it case of if you can’t beat them, join them?

Definitely top 2, possibly best ever. It's not just the results. It's how the Warriors have engaged the fan base. Short clips, podcasts game day experience etc. The whole club should be proud of this year. They've delivered on and off the field.

Life's been rough for most of us the past few years, the Warriors have been a positive force in a lot of our lives

2nd best season for me. 2002 1st, 2023 2nd.

Sure in 2011 we made the GF but we weren't as consistent and weren't top 4. We were streaky and playing for Wiki.

2002 - minor prems, star studded side. 2001-03 was our best side in warriors history. Everyone hated playing us, even the teams that beat us, usually lost the week after, our pack was just that physical.

2023 was an amazing season though.

Agree but Cleary had built the foundations for success here after getting us to the GF. He literally had to start from scratch again taking over another basket case club in WT. So frustrating to see.
Ivan went to Penrith for Phil Gould's five year plan, he went to the Tigers after that.

Gould is a smart guy but got under pressure because all the money they spent wasn't working after 5 years.

It sure is working now.

What concerns me is that we have outperformed expectations this year.

That front page spread in the NZ Herald for the game last week was just OTT in my mind.

This is the toughest rugby competition of any in the world according to John Hart.

If any of the ladies and jellybeans here had been asked if they would take 4th on the ladder and a place in the Prelim final they would have said to get of the grass.

The team played really well, but to get in the top two next years we need the forwards to be bigger and faster.

2002 was the year the Warriors changed the competition by introducing a style of Rugby league never seen before.

Ironically the Broncos just did a 2002 on us the other night.

In 2002 we had the biggest forward pack in the comp, it was ridiculous.

Starting props would bash the shit out of the opposition pack, which obviously the fans loved, and then they would come off the field and be replaced by even bigger dudes who looked and played like Night Club bouncers and beat on the poor bastards even more.

So yeah it was an incredible year as a fan, you knew your team was going to start with George Foreman and send on Mike Tyson off the bench.

They also had the most violent Winger since Eric Growth (legendary Eels giant winger thug that bashed the comp in the 80s) our version Francis Meli used to line up the Center and send them to hospital in an ambulance.

All the teams we played lost their games the following week because they had not recovered from their bruising.

We had the Michael Jordan of Rugby league in Ali Lauitiiti, and the Dennis Rodman in Sione Faumuina.

Clinton Toopi was the best Center in the world, no one in the NRL disagreed.

And out of all the most feared players in the comp, we had an Aussie whose nickname (well earned) was Villa the Gorilla, and he was a fucken Gorilla knocking dudes into HIA land left right and center.

We were the most feared team in the competition.

The fact we lost that NRL GF was a shock to all, especially since we beat up the Roosters that year.

The team was so good they were deep in the finals the following year.

But you have to wonder why we never won the last dance with that side because it is to this day the greatest Warriors team that ever played Rugby league....and In my rant I never even mentioned the goat Stacey Jones or his co captain the man who brought Aussie steele to the Warriors Kevin Campion.

I have to plug PJ Marsh, as good as Egan is, PJ was the best hooker we ever had till he had his spine munted and his career ended early,

2002 is the only side that lost a GF to an inferior opponent, we were the best that year and we should have won it.

It is really funny listening to the two best players in the world of that era (Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler) talk about playing at Mt Smart, they make it sound like playing on Skull Island with the drums and the 'big dude' factory running at them.
Beat up the Roosters?!

Agree that we were amazing in 2002 but...I certainly 'member the Roosters beating us up 0-44...

But, hey, I'm the guy who until last Thursday would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that the Warriors beat the Rabbitohs 66-0 on Easter Monday. Firstly, we didn't play them on a Monday, we played them on a Sunday. Secondly, it was June. Which, er, is a bit past Easter, which never gets into even May...

Anyway, as to my rating, given the circumstances of 2022, this year is currently bouncing between 2nd and 3rd Best Warriors Season Ever in my head.

And to think at the start of the season, while I knew - well, was pretty damn sure - the Warriors would be better in 2023, I thought the Bulldogs had nabbed The Up And Coming NRL Coach in Cameron Ciraldo, so while I was pleased to get Andrew Webster, I thought 2023 would see us bottom 8 (9-10) and 2024 would see us 8 and out in an Elimination Final.

Dang, I love being wrong sometimes.

The two Grand Final years stand out.

I'd rate this year above the other two years we made the preliminary final.

2003 was a good year following up from 2002. Hopefully 2024 is a similar follow up. I can't recall what the hype was for that game, also need to remember it was before social media.

2010 we competed but it didn't really create a lot of excitement from what I can remember.

This year the club won back a lot of support and regained a lot of respect. The build up to the game on the weekend was comparable to the 2011 Grand Final when we had 3 teams playing on the big day. People were happy to wear their Warriors gear, the press for the club was all positive.

If you want to rate this season take a look at some of the "predictions" made about us at the beginning of the year.

3 wooden spoons picked above
16th
Wooden spoon
Wooden spoon.

If you want to rate this season take a look at some of the "predictions" made about us at the beginning of the year.

16th
Wooden spoon
Wooden spoon.
Proof that the Nostradamus bloodline did not get to Australia or if it did, none of Nostradamus' descendants ever said to their Careers Adviser "Please, sir/ma'am, can you get me some work as a rugby league pundit?"

Or maybe your typical Australian wooden spoon is shaped weirdly and actually bears a close resemblance to the NRL Premiership trophy. Which debunks their "We made pavlova first" crap...

Last edited:
This season became a success for me very early on in the piece when we started to consistently show that "resilience" had become part of our DNA. Results didnt matter to me after that.......from where we were for the longest time with no backbone or steel which turned fans by the massses to apathy about this team.......this was the main quality that needed to be instilled in the team to give us the foundation to start becoming a succesful club........thank you Webby.

16th
Wooden spoon
Wooden spoon.
Loved these predictions from Barney and the Professor:

1695801441997.png

Back