Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is NASA part of the Atlas network?
Screenshot_20231005-215847_Gallery.jpg

Interesting article in the business section of the Herald yesterday with Grant Robertson. There’s not too much that GrantR and Don Brash have in common but one is the believe that the Reserve Bank shouldn’t use the OCR to meet inflation targets but adjust the fuel excise tax instead.

The reasoning behind it is that increasing the price of petrol would take money out of circulation faster as it effects more people while interest rates changes only effects those with mortgages and renters(if rents are increased because of the higher interest rates.

I’d have thought that increasing fuel taxes would have a flow on effect though the economy and would be inflationary.

The reasoning behind it is that increasing the price of petrol would take money out of circulation faster as it effects more people while interest rates changes only effects those with mortgages and renters(if rents are increased because of the higher interest rates.
Isn't almost everyone either mortgaged or renting though, any data on percentage of mortgage-free home owners with no leverage from banks/lenders?

I am not saying we concentrate on only speed, I just think dismissing it as a factor entirely is not correct either.
You are right…. ignoring speed isas wrong as putting too much emphasis on it. It’s about balance…. something NZ is not the best at.

One thing I’d love to see introduced is that international drivers can not rent or drive cars in NZ without having any experience driving right hand drive cars. Simply, just having a brochure or stickers in a rental vehicle isn’t good enough. Why is it there are all these restrictions on young and learner drivers in NZ but a visitor can leap into a car without knowing who gives way at an intersection.

You are right…. ignoring speed isas wrong as putting too much emphasis on it. It’s about balance…. something NZ is not the best at.

One thing I’d love to see introduced is that international drivers can not rent or drive cars in NZ without having any experience driving right hand drive cars. Simply, just having a brochure or stickers in a rental vehicle isn’t good enough. Why is it there are all these restrictions on young and learner drivers in NZ but a visitor can leap into a car without knowing who gives way at an intersection.
Yup I'd be for a driving test with certified officer at the tourist's expense.

I am not saying we concentrate on only speed, I just think dismissing it as a factor entirely is not correct either.
The only time speed causes an accident is really going to fast around a corner on the open road. Logically it it just makes accidents worse when they happen which we should be addressing.

But logically in-attention (drugs, alcohol, kids screaming, phones), inexperience, unfamiliarity with the conditions CAUSES crashes doesnt it?

Isn't almost everyone either mortgaged or renting though, any data on percentage of mortgage-free home owners with no leverage from banks/lenders?
The thing is that adjusting mortgages disproportionately affects poorer people through rents or being earlier into home ownership.

If you’ve owned your house and being paying off the mortgage for 15 years, you go to the bank and get the length of the loan adjusted so any increase in the mortgage repayments is minimal. If you had the place for only a few years, you haven’t paid back enough in principal or had enough of an increase in value for the banks to do that…. and, when the next time the mortgage comes up for renewal, they have to find thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars each year to cover the Increase in interest.

The thing is that adjusting mortgages disproportionately affects poorer people through rents or being earlier into home ownership.

If you’ve owned your house and being paying off the mortgage for 15 years, you go to the bank and get the length of the loan adjusted so any increase in the mortgage repayments is minimal. If you had the place for only a few years, you haven’t paid back enough in principal or had enough of an increase in value for the banks to do that…. and, when the next time the mortgage comes up for renewal, they have to find thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars each year to cover the Increase in interest.
Someone posted about using KiwiSaver deduction rates to suck spending money out of the economy into enforced savings.

Seems the best solution I’ve seen so far.

The content of Winston's monologue rant though is clearly conspiratorial, bordering on delusional. And he's the deputy pm.

His words are fantastical. If he truly believes what he's saying then he is not grounded in reality.
winston is a fucking clown.
you’re the only one here giving him any air.
also, none of the behaviors he’s called out of his opposing parties are untrue, the way he paints them though is both suggestive and inflammatory.

i think wiz nailed it. having a couple of loud mouths next to him makes BIG LUXXX seem far more palatable.

I see, very true. You're still the best at breaking things down without bias so even idiots can see the logical fallacies.

So you're for fuel excise tax, or do you have any other solutions for inflation? And what do you think about Altas network lobby groups? This is like Q&A with Mike.

The only time speed causes an accident is really going to fast around a corner on the open road. Logically it it just makes accidents worse when they happen which we should be addressing.

But logically in-attention (drugs, alcohol, kids screaming, phones), inexperience, unfamiliarity with the conditions CAUSES crashes doesnt it?
And speed makes the consequences FAR worse

winston is a fucking clown.
you’re the only one here giving him any air.
also, none of the behaviors he’s called out of his opposing parties are untrue, the way he paints them though is both suggestive and inflammatory.

i think wiz nailed it. having a couple of loud mouths next to him makes BIG LUXXX seem far more palatable.
I'm giving him air in the context of the government that's in power, and in a wider context of having the conspiracy madness at the seat of power in our country.

I'm surprised that more people here aren't concerned about that, amongst other behaviour that left or right is downright antidemocratic by this current government.

Back