• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Centres for 2025

Who’s your 2 starting centres for 2025?

• Total voters
They just do it with younger less banged up players and are way more defensively resilient.
That was more my point. The agility, speed and reaction time of the players makes the difference as much as the tactics.

NZWarriors.com
Hahaha. Well actually that line up did get shredded.
Must I remind you how that game went? We were getting smashed……. Sharks pack up shop early. Then the sharks got that rough card. (I’ll happily take it, but still) and SJ turned back the clock. Yes off the back of some good play by Ali and CNK. Hardly anything foundational.
Sharks 1st try - Edge of the middle, SJ, Lussick, Marata
Sharks 2nd try - DWZ & CNK
Sharks 3rd try - Middle - Marata & Walker
Sharks 4th try Middle - Marata
Sharks 5th try Middle - DWZ & CNK

Not seeing the 1-7 getting smashed on this mate. 1 edge gave up 2 tries.

Bruh, So if Katoa stole if off him that means he initially caught it right? Lol. So you bring up 2 examples ? How many times have Montoya/Dallin/CNK /Roger fluffed up catches? I wasn't a Pompey fan. But the old saying you don't know what you've got til it's gone? He proved to me on his return that what he lacks in speed he makes up for it in other areas and was our best centre. He held his own against the elite centres and more often than not dominated them.
I'm now a pompey fan lol

I like him and prefer him as a solid back up lol, but you are pretending he doesn't have a bomb defusal issue and other teams targeted him so clearly that even I could see it lol. I remember 3 of the 4 bombs to him ended up being tries of the top of my head, give me some examples of the others bombing 75% of their catches?

And yes he caught caught the Hughes bomb resulting in a Katoa try 🤣

If he thinks like you and don't do extra work on it, then expect a lot more bombs to him and a few more embarrassing moments next year

Mate, It’s easy to debate when everyone can see I’m right 😁.

In all seriousness…

The real question is what does Andrew Webster do with RTS and CNK. He’s going to fit them both in somewhere, no matter what. Especially RTS, does he play right centre or left wing? (I want RTS to play right wing, cause that’s where he’s historically played. But that’s not going to happen either)

1. Taine (11 games)
2. DWZ
3. Ali (7 games)
4. CNK (fuck all games at centre)
5. RTS
6. Metcalf (26 games)
7. TMM (93 games)
You know this isn’t going to happen…..You know it.
That backline gets shredded. And it’s 50/50 if it does any shredding. That’s the part that makes me laugh, people talk as if this attack thing is guaranteed to work. It’s not.

Vs.

1. CNK (114 games)
2. DWZ
3. Adam Pompey (94 games)
4. Rocco Berry (43 games)
5. RTS
6. Metcalf
7. TMM

I’ll admit it lacks a bit of x-factor but work rate and defensively it’s the better option. Smother them, build pressure, get field position, do the damage. Especially early in the season

Let’s face it, a lot of people want CNK to play centre so Taine can play fullback. That’s a whole different debate in itself.

I can see Taine playing fullback and moving CNK OR Ali replacing Rocco for a bit more firepower. Definitely not both. Not yet anyway.

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Ali
4. Pompey
5. RTS
6. Metcalf
7. TMM

If Webster was going to pick Ali I’d like him in between Capewell and RTS on the left and swap Pompey to the right, hopefully he helps DWZ defensively. Or……

1. Taine
2. DWZ
3. Pompey
4. CNK
5. RTS
6. Metcalf
7. TMM

I guess we’ll see.
Tuapiki #14
CHT#18

I can live with that

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
2 - last years other top 4 teams - Panthers, Broncos and Storm were all fast and dynamic. We were the exception. This years top 2 of the Storm, Panthers are fast and dynamic.

Panthers aren't a particularly fast team.

Their three peat relied on all the same things the Warriors of 2023 did, monotonous but effective kick chase, front loaded defensive effort, field position, big yardage from back 5, play off a ball playing 13 and middle service at 7 rather than Right/left sided halfs.

They just do it with younger less banged up players and are way more defensively resilient.
I was reluctant to respond to this, I don’t really want to be known as “that guy” who debates/argues with everyone. But it is what it is.

First of all, I mostly agree with you. But…….

2023 Penrith centres;
Crighton - Defensive oriented. Not particularly fast, fairly dynamic.
Peachy- Pretty dynamic, not fast. Strong defender.
Tago- Dynamic and fast.

Melbourne;
Reimis Smith- defensive oriented, not fast, not dynamic
Olam- Powerful, not fast, a little dynamic.
Seve- Fairly dynamic, fairly fast

Brisbane;
Staggs and Farnworth- Yip, absolutely.

Yeah, I don’t know what you mean I regards to centres…….

Our stock- Pompey, Berry, Leiataua, RTS and CNK. I think it measures up fairly well. Theirs is better but still.

Penrith aren’t as strong as last year. Who’s the most like Stephen Crighton of our centres………… Adam Pompey (obviously Crighton is better)

You know what this whole forum has shown me? There’s actually nothing wrong with our centre stocks…………

We actually desperately need are new wingers.
Young, Fast, dynamic wingers (like Taine maybe lol)

You measure ours vs theirs. Particularly this year.

You know what this whole forum has shown me? There’s actually nothing wrong with our centre stocks…………

We actually desperately need are new wingers.
Young, Fast, dynamic TALL wingers (like Taine maybe lol)

You measure ours vs theirs. Particularly this year.

Fixed for you, kinda, lol

but you are pretending he doesn't have a bomb defusal issue and other teams targeted him so clearly that even I could see it lol.
Are you pretending like Montoya & Dallin don't have the same problem ? That they dont target our wingers as well? Don't make me get Wrighty Wrighty to pull up some stats to see who is worse at fucking up bombs that lead to tries now? 🤣 You're clearly zero-ing in on just Pompey. I am looking at our backline as a whole. We haven't been flash this year.

I was reluctant to respond to this, I don’t really want to be known as “that guy” who debates/argues with everyone. But it is what it is.

First of all, I mostly agree with you. But…….

2023 Penrith centres;
Crighton - Defensive oriented. Not particularly fast, fairly dynamic.
Peachy- Pretty dynamic, not fast. Strong defender.
Tago- Dynamic and fast.

I just said Penrith aren't particularly fast.

You've given 2 out of 3 examples of Penrith centre's who aren't particularly fast?

What are we even arguing about? Are we even arguing? 😆

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I just said Penrith aren't particularly fast.

You've given 2 out of 3 examples of Penrith centre's who aren't particularly fast?

What are we even arguing about? Are we even arguing? 😆
No we’re not arguing. We’re agreeing that fast and dynamic outside backs are important.
But I suppose we’re disagreeing that “fast and dynamic” centres were pivotal to the top 4 teams last year. As Brisbane were the only team that actually had them.

I single out centres because that’s what this forum is about.

I point to wingers because that’s what IMO is the actual problem in this regard for the Warriors.

But I suppose we’re disagreeing that “fast and dynamic” centres were pivotal to the top 4 teams last year. As Brisbane were the only team that actually had them.

"2 - last years other top 4 teams - Panthers, Broncos and Storm were all fast and dynamic. We were the exception. This years top 2 of the Storm, Panthers are fast and dynamic."

That wasn't me, that was quoting someone else.

I don't think fast and dynamic centre's are particularly important at all.

Plenty of Martins, Whatuiras, Elfords, Staggs, Nielsons, Auva's, Leutueles, Linetts, Oneills, Scotts, Momorivskis that weren't super dynamic players have won GFs.

Here's my impersonation of Nostrademeus

Webster either makes some moves to get the centres/wings/fullback looking different than round one 2024 or
a) We finish no higher than 12th in 2025
b) Webster gets the heave ho ten games into 2026.

He needs to make some hard decisions. He is capable of hard decisions. Needs to back his judgement.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'm prepared to make a big call...

I think Berry might need to make way. It's the only way I can see the below working

1. Taine
2. DWZ
3. CNK
4. Ali
5. RTS

He doesn't necessarily have to be let go but I think he could be the centre depth with Pompey and MGT

I think Berry might need to make way. It's the only way I can see the below working

1. Taine
2. DWZ
3. CNK
4. Ali
5. RTS

He doesn't necessarily have to be let go but I think he could be the centre depth with Pompey and MGT
Well Berry did try and leave at the end of the 2022 season.

1. Taine
2. DWZ
3. CNK
4. Ali
5. RTS

I think Berry was the key to the DWZ edge last year, solid defence to cover for his questionable calls. CNK could be that but i feel like berry built that combination. Didnt really get to see if it kept this year due to his injuries

I think Berry was the key to the DWZ edge last year, solid defence to cover for his questionable calls. CNK could be that but i feel like berry built that combination. Didnt really get to see if it kept this year due to his injuries
He Berry played 12 games. He played rounds 1 through 10 and games 14 to 15.

That's 50% of the games the Warriors played this year.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
He Berry played 12 games. He played rounds 1 through 10 and games 14 to 15.

That's 50% of the games the Warriors played this year.
Yeah, the first 6 games had promise.

Was solid in 9 of the first 10, only game I would say was a bad game was the titans where he missed 1 tackle he shouldnt have that lead to a try and then DWZ sold their edge most of the game making it impossible for him to look like he had a solid game.

Massive win against the cowboys round 14 and played 37 mins in round 15 against the storm when he was injured.

I could be missing your point but mine is that DWZ looking like a top winger in 2023 partially lays with Berry’s being the centre.

CNK could probably with time solidify there but I’d rather see RTS make way out of the 2 instead of a young player for a 30 year old.

Yeah, the first 6 games had promise.

Was solid in 9 of the first 10, only game I would say was a bad game was the titans where he missed 1 tackle he shouldnt have that lead to a try and then DWZ sold their edge most of the game making it impossible for him to look like he had a solid game.

Massive win against the cowboys round 14 and played 37 mins in round 15 against the storm when he was injured.

I could be missing your point but mine is that DWZ looking like a top winger in 2023 partially lays with Berry’s being the centre.

CNK could probably with time solidify there but I’d rather see RTS make way out of the 2 instead of a young player for a 30 year old.
I will pull out of the conversation. You are strongly encouraged to post whatever view you have. Rocco Berry is a divisive figure with 70% of the forum firmly in his favour and 30% like me thinking he is a not a good player. I think we all wear different coloured glasses according to our own persuasion when we watch him and see evidence that further corroborates our pre-existing opinion. I acknowledge my view is a minority opinion and that most people share your view.

It's very much an imperfect situation.

My big question about Berry is - "what is his ceiling?"

For me we saw rapid improvement into a plateau. Is there more improvement in him?

When you look at Ali you have something that could be really special. When I look at Berry I don't see special, I see solid.

Nothing wrong with solid, but usually it's replaceable.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back