Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Death by 1000 cuts strategy says there will be more incidences in the news soon as fresh skeletons are dug up. It seems there’s a pattern and I wouldn’t rule out her doing this since her teenage years?

I don’t think this reflects badly on the Greens (although there will be a whole lot of short term finger pointing), long term it will be seen as more a reflection on the individual. Your point about the Greens knowing before the election though could change things.

The longer the Greens allow her to stay silent, the longer they will get tainted. She was back yesterday already! Should have released a statement or Golriz did an interview last night.
Well the earliest alleged incident is Oct 26th, I don't want to speculate on her life of crime or whatever's happening to her mental health unless she comes out and explains it herself.
Doesn't appear her party were aware of it before the election at this stage, but if turns out they were yeah that's not going to reflect well on the Greens.

Last edited:

Interesting that america has higher than average costs to build railway than other countries at potentially $2.6 billion per mile, perhaps we face some of the challenges they do? Think it’s something that NZ is going to have to grapple with, that building something that is efficient and quality is going to cost. It’s just whether money spent will be put to use. I think with brown mentioning looking at other models that there’s potential for him to be seeking a model that quality is outweighed by cost. Hopefully it suits our needs whatever is proposed.
One of the main issues in Auckland is that most of the city is built on volcanic rock types which are extremely hard and dense making them expensive to bore through. Or it is scoria which is light and aerated with large caverns filled with water creating difficulties with the high-water table.

That's why there are only certain areas in Auckland where it's economic to build tunnels and why most train services are located above the ground. The lack of lava fields or scoria around the Waitemata Harbour is why tunnels are being considered for a second Harbour crossing. It's also why only part of the now scrapped Auckland Light Rail System was going to be underground.... from Mt Eden to the Manukau Harbour is pretty much all volcanic material.

1705330904556.png

One of the main issues in Auckland is that most of the city is built on volcanic rock types which are extremely hard and dense making them expensive to bore through. Or it is scoria which is light and aerated with large caverns filled with water creating difficulties with the high-water table.

That's why there are only certain areas in Auckland where it's economic to build tunnels and why most train services are located above the ground. The lack of lava fields or scoria around the Waitemata Harbour is why tunnels are being considered for a second Harbour crossing. It's also why only part of the now scrapped Auckland Light Rail System was going to be underground.... from Mt Eden to the Manukau Harbour is pretty much all volcanic material.

View attachment 4890
Can’t they find some lava cave and aim a train down it for a free tunnel?

It would be easy to be critical of her right now but I just feel sad for her.

Right outcome, she’s fronted, resigned and the heats gone, time to move on…
Good response 👍.
You appear to have mellowed somewhat since getting rid of that appendix. Hopefully the new you is here to stay. 😉 😉.

Last edited:
I hope she gets the help she needs, and also takes accountability for the actions in a way the law sees fit regardless of her status in the public eye.

Shoplifting is a crime, and should be treated as such.
Knowing how much stress it caused my parents when they owned a shop in the 90s/00s and knowing how much stress the more violent version of it with ramraids/smash n grabs my brother in law has experienced as a jewellery store manager, I don't really have sympathy for anyone that crosses that legal and moral boundary, no matter what their situation.

The old "mental health made me do it" is not a valid excuse for me to exempt one from being waived of any legal responsibility, we all know people (ourselves included) who have dealt with mental health issues and not gone on to commit crimes (petty or otherwise).

EDIT : and no I am not a National/Act supporter ;)

Was reading this on Christina Applegate and remember her as a beautiful young girl in married with children and she continued to age a to beautiful lady in films right through to the last less than 10 years ago. Her decline since being diagnosed with MS in 2021 has been plain to see and sad to see. Not being from a medical background, it’s only my opinion but I think there’s a strong possibility what Ghahraman is battling has had a bearing on her behaviour. There has been rumours around the Wellington mayor and a sense of entitlement being mentioned, so that’s a possibility here also I guess but I lean towards her battling and think it’s the best outcome for her to step away. All the best to her for her battle ahead because it doesn’t look pretty.

You do realise that Labour were going to introduce RUC for BEV at the end of March of this year.… the new government has set the amounts to be charged. Also, in December 2022, only 23.3% of cars sold would pay the proposed RUC’s for BEV’s and PHEV’s…. last December, 50.8% would pay the RUC’s. In December, only 18% of vehicles sold were full ICE vechiles and not BEV’s, PHEV’s or HEV’s, down from a market share of 65% the previous December.

It’s estimated by evdb.nz that by 2030, 67% of the light vehicle fleet in NZ will be BEV’s and the close to 100% of light vehicles will be BEV’s by 2035. Without RUC’s and a huge reduction in fuel excise, how do you think roads will be maintained, new public transport infrastructure paid for and subsidies for public transport remain?

Last edited:
You do realise that Labour were going to introduce RUC for BEV at the end of March of this year.… the new government has set the amounts to be charged. Also, in December 2022, only 23.3% of cars sold would pay the proposed RUC’s for BEV’s and PHEV’s…. last December, 50.8% would pay the RUC’s. In December, only 18% of vehicles sold were full ICE vechiles and not BEV’s, PHEV’s or HEV’s, down from a market share of 65% the previous December.

It’s estimated by evdb.nz that by 2030, 67% of the light vehicle fleet in NZ will be BEV’s and the close to 100% of light vehicles will be BEV’s by 2035. Without RUC’s and a huge reduction in fuel excise, how do you think roads will be maintained, new public transport infrastructure paid for and subsidies for public transport remain?
Also 10000 EV chargers to be bought in by 2030

It’s going to also require investment in an energy system to handle the extra energy required to power that fleet.

National still in a honeymoon period with voters with their support rising above 40% in the latest poll. And Chippy looks to be on borrowed time as Labour leader slipping to a new low in the preferred PM ratings and is now 18 points below Luxon.

Back