Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More like revenge on the leader who sacked him
Bigger picture:
Labour imploding now and turning on each other
We’re going to see Labour go through a rough rebuilding stage. I’ve said many times Hipkins needed to go to allow the process to happen quickly, positively and for real change to happen.

Could be like National before Luxon and Labour before Ardern. A lot of internal power struggles trying to reinvent itself and the voters turning away in droves as they spend more time worrying about themselves than the country.

Bigger picture:

We’re going to see Labour go through a rough rebuilding stage. I’ve said many times Hipkins needed to go to allow the process to happen quickly, positively and for real change to happen.

Could be like National before Luxon and Labour before Ardern. A lot of internal power struggles trying to reinvent itself and the voters turning away in droves as they spend more time worrying about themselves than the country.
Case in point…. NZ First haven’t had any power struggles since Winnie took over from “King Dick” Seddon ;)

Labour imploding now and turning on each other:

They wouldn’t crack down on gangs because they didn’t want to unfairly target Maori.

All the soft on crime/ soft on gangs/ Maori preferential treatment is true. Glad we have a mature govt now to sort the country out.

“Last year the Labour government changed the Criminal Proceeds (Recovery) Act to allow police to seize gang leaders' property, such as cars and bikes, if valued over $30,000 and if it could not be proven they were paid for legitimately.
But then-police minister Nash wanted the threshold lowered to $0 - a plan he says was dashed by Labour's Minister of Justice Kiri Allan over concerns it would hurt Maori and would contravene the Bill of Rights.”

wait, how exactly would that hurt maori more than anyone else? or contravene anyone’s rights more than anyone else’s?

Bigger picture:

Not so sure that’s the case. In the last poll as far as coalitions go it’s 52-44, not a resounding victory for a government usually going through a honeymoon period at this stage and labour still having two candidates polling in a preferred prime minister poll, though Ardern no longer there. Luxon still not resonating with many though 10 points ahead as preferred prime minister. There will be a leadership battle in the labour party at some and Nash could be the opener laying the groundwork for the next option? Greens I believe will also see a bump once Swarbrick is co leader but could be at the expense of labour? Could easily be national voters disillusioned with some of the announcements that weren’t on the table going into the election too

Labour imploding now and turning on each other:

They wouldn’t crack down on gangs because they didn’t want to unfairly target Maori.

All the soft on crime/ soft on gangs/ Maori preferential treatment is true. Glad we have a mature govt now to sort the country out.

We have seen what integrity Nash possesses - None

“Last year the Labour government changed the Criminal Proceeds (Recovery) Act to allow police to seize gang leaders' property, such as cars and bikes, if valued over $30,000 and if it could not be proven they were paid for legitimately.
But then-police minister Nash wanted the threshold lowered to $0 - a plan he says was dashed by Labour's Minister of Justice Kiri Allan over concerns it would hurt Maori and would contravene the Bill of Rights.”

wait, how exactly would that hurt maori more than anyone else? or contravene anyone’s rights more than anyone else’s?
Maori party claiming the gang changes are a breach of the treaty of Waitangi.

So the Maori party is the party of gangs and violence? Why would any party want to be linked to this?

Ironically in trying to stand up for Maori, if gangs are their solution then they are doing Maori a disservice…

How much is properly?

While everyone agrees this is the solution it’s an open ended answer. If you doubled funding I believe we wouldn’t see much improvement. And as an example govt expenditure has almost doubled in the past 6 years.

We need to actually get more done with what we spend because more money isn’t equaling more teachers in the classroom - it’s been less!

Luxon this morning saying school upgrades are unaffordable and unrealistic. If these areas where funding is being reviewed is to provide these tax cuts that increasingly seem unaffordable and unrealistic, that is a shocking decision.

Luxon this morning saying school upgrades are unaffordable and unrealistic. If these areas where funding is being reviewed is to provide these tax cuts that increasingly seem unaffordable and unrealistic, that is a shocking decision.
This is what happens when you defer maintenance for decades.

Contravening the bill of rights is a pretty big red flag for any policy/law.

What are the major parties doing about the underlying causes of gangs, namely poverty?
The state seems to forget where the birth of these gangs comes from. From the state and their shit treatment of them. The birth of the mongrel mob is the founder saying to a judge, you want to treat us like mongrels then that’s what we’ll be. Many of them taken from their homes to a far worse fate in the homes they were put

The state seems to forget where the birth of these gangs comes from. From the state and their shit treatment of them. The birth of the mongrel mob is the founder saying to a judge, you want to treat us like mongrels then that’s what we’ll be. Many of them taken from their homes to a far worse fate in the homes they were put
Also a result of places like Lake Alice hospital.

So why are gang numbers up 50% under the last govt?

Must have been a pretty shit society under Labour… 🤣

One part that has a large bearing is to do with a shocking legislation let happen under a national government where we receive some of the hardened criminals which have next to no ties to NZ and no support network apart from to walk into the arms of gang affiliation from aussie. The rise in motorcycles, even in the likes of black power and mongrel mob shows there’s an image factor going on too in my view with the romance of shows like sons of anarchy and mayans portraying an image that’s cool and edgy. Once upon a time these guys has terrible upbringings to which I alluded to through the system, but some of these guys joining today have had as good upbringings as can be hoped for

One part that has a large bearing is to do with a shocking legislation let happen under a national government where we receive some of the hardened criminals which have next to no ties to NZ and no support network apart from to walk into the arms of gang affiliation from aussie. The rise in motorcycles, even in the likes of black power and mongrel mob shows there’s an image factor going on too in my view with the romance of shows like sons of anarchy and mayans portraying an image that’s cool and edgy. Once upon a time these guys has terrible upbringings to which I alluded to through the system, but some of these guys joining today have had as good upbringings as can be hoped for
TBH, I don't think we had any choice but take them as you can't allow NZ citizens, even 501's, to be "stateless". Personally, I don't like what Australia is doing with these people but we also can't ignore the fact, that even though many of them have only own Australia as "home", all governments since the 501 deportations began have had to accept them back into NZ.

We have seen what integrity Nash possesses - None
I'm trying to think of what Nash did - wasn't it providing information to Labour Party donors? Or was it to do with instructions he gave to the Police about operational matters while he was Police Minister?

Because no one is addressing poverty in a meaningful way.
Labour did some good things (lunches in school, minimum wage increases, minor increases to benefits), but not nearly enough. Housing, food and utility costs all remain high.

Back