Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm waiting for a lot of public services to crumble and then people will wonder why it happened.....***proceeds to blame labour*** :rolleyes:
You don't have to wait, they already are. It will be interesting to see issues like mental health where Labour failed spectacularly despite spending huge amounts, I'm still unsure what on. National are promising to let organisations like Mike King's Gumboot Friday get more funding and help deliver the service.

That will happen.

Most countries have

Never going to happen. Not because of the side of the political spectrum, but

1. That would require once in a generation type of thinking; leading to
2. Nationals leadership group is the most inept group of mediocre losers I’ve seen in a long time.

My prediction is something along the lines of the British conservative govt disaster of the last few years.
yeah, that's what I reckon will happen too

Labour really had nothing to run on. A number of people who voted Labour because of wanting stability and safety through COVID changed their votes this time, particularly in Auckland with lockdown hangover memories still not forgotten. I think the greens benefitted a lot from left voting people unwilling to give their vote to TOP, NZFirst or National so the only other real option for them to keep their vote left was the Greens.

The election highlights that there probably needs to be review of the thresholds to get a seat in parliament or a change of system. Need another central party like TOP that can work with both sides.

Last edited:
National and Act - far right, will reverse any advances made in battling climate change, will remove regulation despite a 50 billion leaky homes disaster we're still paying for, despite the Pike River man made disaster, they will attempt to widen the gap between those who can afford houses and those who can't, they believe in a low wage economy to heighten profits, Act are backed heavily by the gun lobby, national by a very christian conservative base, and they have a privatisation agenda.

Labour were shit, yes, but this will be far worse.

National and Act - far right, will reverse any advances made in battling climate change, will remove regulation despite a 50 billion leaky homes disaster we're still paying for, despite the Pike River man made disaster, they will attempt to widen the gap between those who can afford houses and those who can't, they believe in a low wage economy to heighten profits, Act are backed heavily by the gun lobby, national by a very christian conservative base, and they have a privatisation agenda.

Labour were shit, yes, but this will be far worse.
Want a friendly bet? And how do we measure better or worse? What are the metrics?

Want a friendly bet? And how do we measure better or worse? What are the metrics?
to be honest, it's a bit of a vent - but worse for whom? Both parties are promising punishment for the poor before this election. So automatically that qualifies.

Of course everyone has their own opinion, it's what this stuff is about, and it's fairly easy to tell where I lean, but there's got to be some humanity in this.

I won't be saying too much more except to call out bullshit where needed.

I'd rather have a friendly wager on next year's season (maybe top 8 :) )

to be honest, it's a bit of a vent - but worse for whom? Both parties are promising punishment for the poor before this election. So automatically that qualifies.

Of course everyone has their own opinion, it's what this stuff is about, and it's fairly easy to tell where I lean, but there's got to be some humanity in this.

I won't be saying too much more except to call out bullshit where needed.

I'd rather have a friendly wager on next year's season (maybe top 8 :) )
Yeah I get it. I just don't think things can possibly be worse. While Labour may be seen as the saviour of the less fortunate, I don't actually see what they have done to help them. Every key metric seems to be going backwards and the money they have borrowed and spent has put us in a worse position to help the less fortunate in the future. Oh well, the public have voted for change so I guess we will see if anything does, for the better or worse.

I'll take your bet on next season. How about picking exact ladder position for the Warriors at the end of the season? Closest wins and a tie breaker of where the Titans finish. 🙂

That will happen.

Most countries have

Never going to happen. Not because of the side of the political spectrum, but

1. That would require once in a generation type of thinking; leading to
2. Nationals leadership group is the most inept group of mediocre losers I’ve seen in a long time.

My prediction is something along the lines of the British conservative govt disaster of the last few years.
National has campaigned on letting labour lose. The less you say the less they can attack you.

Worst case we will move sideways instead of Labour actively making things worse.

Wait and see.

I had a choice between buying a JetSki or re-investing in my business. Under Labour I would have bought the JetSki. Now I will invest in productivity.

Both would have resulting in a similar increase in GDP. Labours growth would be short term fuel on a fire. Nationals growth would be long term, sustainable and make NZ better off. Rinse and repeat across the economy and it adds up.

Yeah I get it. I just don't think things can possibly be worse. While Labour may be seen as the saviour of the less fortunate, I don't actually see what they have done to help them. Every key metric seems to be going backwards and the money they have borrowed and spent has put us in a worse position to help the less fortunate in the future. Oh well, the public have voted for change so I guess we will see if anything does, for the better or worse.

I'll take your bet on next season. How about picking exact ladder position for the Warriors at the end of the season? Closest wins and a tie breaker of where the Titans finish. 🙂
Next season's tough - I'm picking 7 for the Wahs, 8 for the Titans . If we get that amazing dynamic prop then I might up me estimate :)

NZ has never decided exactly what it wants or how its going to get it done.
NZ wants to be an environmental haven but cows still shit in the river cos cows still makes NZ money.
NZ wants to promotes tourism like flying to the arse end of the world only to then drive around the country isn't the most emissions heavy exercise outside of the military.
NZ wants to be a medicine hub, cant do that without nuclear medicine.

Could be the Norway of the Pacific but nooo cant drill out there cos environment (despite Norway having far less emissions per person and still drilling) So all NZ does is fight for the meagre crumbs from ever rising property speculation, instead of increasing the pie.

Last edited:
I had a choice between buying a JetSki or re-investing in my business. Under Labour I would have bought the JetSki. Now I will invest in productivity.
What exactly is changing to make your business go from non-profitable to profitable? $20K capital injection into any of my businesses currently would return $33,500 on average. Even my stock portfolio would return 6.8%

While Labour may be seen as the saviour of the less fortunate, I don't actually see what they have done to help them.
The reality is you need a healthy, stable economy to share the benefits around.

The left got the cart before the horse and ground business to a halt.

Said it before we need to be economically right and socially left - prioritise strong economic growth and use that growth to fund strong social services, hospitals, education, etc

Labours stalling economy flowing into collapsing hospitals, education, etc helped nobody.

The reality is you need a healthy, stable economy to share the benefits around.

The left got the cart before the horse and ground business to a halt.

Said it before we need to be economically right and socially left - prioritise strong economic growth and use that growth to fund strong social services, hospitals, education, etc

Labours stalling economy flowing into collapsing hospitals, education, etc helped nobody.
All economies around the world are suffering comparably. Labour's taken the blame due to clever repeated comms, the fact that they're shite at them themselves and the fact that Business with a capital B just outright hates Labour regardless.

Even though Labour have and implement neoliberal policies. We have an old school mafia here and we've seen it outright in action this election

All economies around the world are suffering comparably. Labour's taken the blame due to clever repeated comms, the fact that they're shite at them themselves and the fact that Business with a capital B just outright hates Labour regardless.
National is far more business friendly, that's a fact. The problem is your businesses are shit and there's no push to innovate.

It's all about wealth extraction
Bingo.

The poverty levels in NZ are insane. When I left like 15 years ago, after bills,I had more disposable income left in my bank account from my first Aus paycheck than I got paid total in NZ.

I was getting paid over $60K as a private in the army with very little outgoings. The kiwi mind just cant comprehend such a thing.

Back