• Over the next day some images may not display. This is due to a upgrade in progress. It will correct itself. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

Comes across as a bit of a strawman argument when doesn’t set the rules but is critical of the person who has the power to effect the change and the gain he has acquired. There’s a substantial invested interest in most politicians regarding property. Luxon isn’t lost to hypocrisy either. His clean car subsidy and learning of Te Reo on the taxpayer, to then go and scrap both was pretty hypocritical
Hey mate, I know he’s rich and there’s a concerted attempt to paint him as out of touch and greedy. I understand. Politics 101.

But everything he’s done is legal and other MP’s have also done the exact same things. Just a political beat up that the average voter completely dismisses (hence his poll results going up).

If MP’s are conflicted on selling a rental property, then every MP that owns a house is conflicted because a comprehensive CGT could/ should include the personal house. Was Labour conflicted when they dismissed the CGT report recommendation? Can any MP vote against a CGT?

Storm in a tea cup but good on you guys for playing the game with all this mock offence at everything Luxon does. 🤣

NZWarriors.com
Hey mate, I know he’s rich and there’s a concerted attempt to paint him as out of touch and greedy. I understand. Politics 101.

But everything he’s done is legal and other MP’s have also done the exact same things. Just a political beat up that the average voter completely dismisses (hence his poll results going up).

If MP’s are conflicted on selling a rental property, then every MP that owns a house is conflicted because a comprehensive CGT could/ should include the personal house. Was Labour conflicted when they dismissed the CGT report recommendation? Can any MP vote against a CGT?

Storm in a tea cup but good on you guys for playing the game with all this mock offence at everything Luxon does. 🤣
Labour campaigned on a cgt over 10 years ago. Funny the entitlement painted on what’s described as the left. You’d like to think that those in Luxon’s situation would be willing to pay out of their pocket, but I guess they’re entitled to it. Seems a contradiction when you can afford the luxuries in life, that you’ll use the system while saying cuts need to be made

Isn’t the definition of hypocrite when you criticise someone for doing something you yourself did? ‘Judge not, lest ye be judged’

If he wanted the moral high ground he would have declared in the article he did the same thing so when he criticises, people can judge him as well.
Deflection from the corruption and blatant conflict of interest, not to mention the huge untaxed profit the pm gains.

Doesn't need a concerted effort he's great at doing that all by himself

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
not to mention the huge untaxed profit the pm gains.
Why is it untaxed profit if it’s just inflated with inflation.

Example 1: a person buys an average house 10 years ago for $500k. Inflation rises all goods by 50% over 10 years and he sells for $1m. He hasn’t made any profit relative to inflation. Why tax inflation?

Example 2: a person sells a Wellington investment property for $1m to buys a similar property for $1m in Auckland because he’s moved. He can’t because he only has $800k left after a CHT. Why should anyones lose capital and no longer be able to afford the same investment anymore?

He hasn’t made any income, he’s just changed investments to suit his current needs.

You should be ENTITLED to keep your investment value. you should be ENTITLED to not be taxed on inflation.

Just an envy tax. 😉

Deflection from the corruption and blatant conflict of interest, not to mention the huge untaxed profit the pm gains.
How much did he make on the Wellington property that was sold for $70k more a couple of years later? Take away agents fees, lawyers fees buying and selling, etc and I think you’re upset over him potentially losing money! 🤣

Thats all the NZ left have

This was a survey from last year saying that 61% of NZers thought more should be contributed by those who can. There’s also a portion of society who can afford to contribute more who want to that are labelled grandstanders by some in government, probably some you would deem as the “left”. Who are they envious of?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

This was a survey from last year saying that 61% of NZers thought more should be contributed by those who can. There’s also a portion of society who can afford to contribute more who want to that are labelled grandstanders by some in government, probably some you would deem as the “left”. Who are they envious of?

When asked whether they thought wealthy New Zealanders (those earning over $180,000 per year or with assets over $5 million) should pay more tax, 61% of respondents in a representative poll said they should. Only 4% said the wealthy should pay less than they currently do.

1727940285255.png

If Luxon was smarter he would know that the optics of changing the brightline then taking advantage of it isn't good.
His political nous is going to be his downfall, the sharks in national are probably already planning to stab him in the back. They will be thinking given the opposition any of them can keep national winning, and they are probably right.

Since Hickey doesn’t set the rules around a cgt, what did he need to do to gain the higher moral ground in your eyes? Donate it to charity?
A good start would be not criticising others for profiting on the sale of property while doing it yourself. Not one minute saying there’s no CGT in NZ while then suggesting someone is profiting by avoiding a CGT.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If Luxon was smarter he would know that the optics of changing the brightline then taking advantage of it isn't good.
His political nous is going to be his downfall, the sharks in national are probably already planning to stab him in the back. They will be thinking given the opposition any of them can keep national winning, and they are probably right.
His political nous is somewhat lacking at times. Hardly surprising considering his short time in politics. I don't think the sharks are circling though. And if they are it would be a big mistake by them. I think the chances of keeping National winning in that scenario are about as likely as Labour winning with Hipkins leading them.

Put it this way, he won them the election after almost halving Labours previous result, such a massive swing, put together a coalition agreement that continues to look pretty stable despite many people saying it would be a disaster, had zero honey moon period with constant personal attacks, implemented some tough but necessary measures, some controversial ones too. And despite all of that the polls remain stable, consumer confidence is up, business confidence is up, new trade deals done, inflation is falling, interest rates are falling and the government continue to move at pace getting things done (some say too fast). I see Luxon getting better and improving the more time he has spent in the role. Some seem to think he's not up to it, and they may be right, but if he's not up to it he seems to be faking it pretty well! It would have to be a fairly big shift in the polls for anyone in the party to consider a takeover. Funnier things have happened in politics before though

Last edited:
He is a reporter who had been going on about capital gains taxes dummy for decades. You can't expect him to let this opportunity go by.
No, but if you are going to throw stones at a convenient target it might have been prudent to mention that he has done the exact same thing with his glass house.

If CGT is the right thing to be doing it should be able to stand on its own merits rather than rely on hit jobs on individuals.

His political nous is somewhat lacking at times. Hardly surprising considering his short time in politics. I don't think the sharks are circling though. And if they are it would be a big mistake by them. I think the chances of keeping National winning in that scenario are about as likely as Labour winning with Hipkins leading them.

Put it this way, he won them the election after almost halving Labours previous result, such a massive swing, put together a coalition agreement that continues to look pretty stable despite many people saying it would be a disaster, had zero honey moon period with constant personal attacks, implemented some tough but necessary measures, some controversial ones too. And despite all of that the polls remain stable, consumer confidence is up, business confidence is up, new trade deals done, inflation is falling, interest rates are falling and the government continue to move at pace getting things done (some say too fast). I see Luxon getting better and improving the more time he has spent in the role. Some seem to think he's not up to it, and they may be right, but if he's not up to it he seems to be faking it pretty well! It would have to be a fairly big shift in the polls for anyone in the party to consider a takeover. Funnier things have happened in politics before though
If he got rid of this women, I could cop he was a leader.

What possible explanation is there that she women isn't a BA Tobacco shill?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
A good start would be not criticising others for profiting on the sale of property while doing it yourself. Not one minute saying there’s no CGT in NZ while then suggesting someone is profiting by avoiding a CGT.
It's quite a different scenario though isn't it.

Hickey was not making a capital gain on a 2nd or 3rd or 4th property - a capital gain on a free hold property he attempted to have the tax payer pay him $50k for, after changing the bright line... after preaching about wasteful government spending.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back