• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

Yet more hypocrisy from Seymour, who also doesn't seem to like free speech when he's on the receiving end. Where's the taxpayer's union when you need them - oh that's right, they're Act in disguise.

Yet he gloats over the slash and burn of the public service.

NZWarriors.com
Just did an interesting exercise. When my wife and I were first married (30 years ago in a few weeks), we rented a house valued at $170,000 for $120 PW.... giving the landlord a rental return of 3.67% PA. Later, we brought that property from the landlord. After 10 years, we sold it.

Then, in 2016, we brought it back with the intention of ultimately retiring in it.
You must really love that house!!!

You must really love that house!!!
Actually, we do. When I designed it over 30 years ago, I put a lot of the principles of passive solar heating into it so there a huge amount of windows facing the east, west and particularly north and only a small amount to the south (which is really only the garage) so it needs very little heating in the winter even though it's only got single glazing. The heat pump in the Living area is larger than what was required to heat the room in the winter but necessary to be that size to cool the room in the summer. Even then, the ranchsliders and windows on three sides of the Living Room keep it pretty cool anyway.

It's just of Redoubt Road in the Kau so is handy to the motorway, the airport, public transport and shopping. It's right beside an open piece of land (historic reserve) with views towards the Manukau Harbour and the top of Rangitoto. Yet, hardly anyone knows these houses exist.

You just can't please everyone.... I'm on a FB page with other landlords and some of them are hating the interest rates going down. Why? Because if they have say a $500,000 mortgage, they would be able to claim over $12,000 of their tax liability when the ability to deduct interest is fully back when their interest rate was 7.5% but will only be able to deduct just over $10,000 when the interest rate drops to 6.5%.

And the government won't be losing so much money with the interest rates dropping. If it was going to cost them $3 billion over four years in lost revenue by allowing landlords to deduct their interest when the interest rates were 7.5% PA. Most pundits are picking that with 12-18 months, one-year rates will be around 5%PA.... 33% less in interest means 33% less revenue lost if the government had kept the interest rate deductibility.... in other words, the "$3 billion tax cut to landlords" over 4 years will actually be over 6 years or $2 billion over a four-year period.

But, there is good news for the tenants. A reduction in landlords expenses (being able to claim interest) means no increases in their rent. Plus, the current economy and lack of potential renters means there's a number of houses unoccupied in SA at the moment. If you're renting and you feel you're paying too much, look around because landlords are having to reduce what they're asking per week to attract new tenants. You'll either be able to move into a better house or a better area for the same money you're now paying or move to a similar house but be paying less rent each week.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Actually, we do. When I designed it over 30 years ago, I put a lot of the principles of passive solar heating into it so there a huge amount of windows facing the east, west and particularly north and only a small amount to the south (which is really only the garage) so it needs very little heating in the winter even though it's only got single glazing. The heat pump in the Living area is larger than what was required to heat the room in the winter but necessary to be that size to cool the room in the summer. Even then, the ranchsliders and windows on three sides of the Living Room keep it pretty cool anyway.

It's just of Redoubt Road in the Kau so is handy to the motorway, the airport, public transport and shopping. It's right beside an open piece of land (historic reserve) with views towards the Manukau Harbour and the top of Rangitoto. Yet, hardly anyone knows these houses exist.
Some gigantic sections out that way

This filthy old bastard gets to go through life unpunished and ruins others lives, and dies without this ever coming out. I hope if there’s more, that they get what’s owed to them. Is this the beginning of uncovering this political pedophile ring that was spoken about recently? Looks as though the findings are from the recent royal commission. As recent as Thursday national president Sylvia Wood was paying homage to this guy. Does it sound right that they would have no knowledge of what he’s accused of?

Last edited:

This filthy old bastard gets to go through life unpunished and ruins others lives, and dies without this ever coming out. I hope if there’s more, that they get what’s owed to them. Is this the beginning of uncovering this political pedophile ring that was spoken about recently? Looks as though the findings are from the recent royal commission. As recent as Thursday national president Sylvia Wood was paying homage to this guy. Does it sound right that they would have no knowledge of what he’s accused of?
I would believe the multiple complainants before Aussie Malcolm even though he can't defend himself now.
There is no way his colleagues at the time didn't know, suspect or were involved to some degree.
In light of these allegations against Malcolm, the RC should be extended to fully investigate a potential political paedophile ring.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I would believe the multiple complainants before Aussie Malcolm even though he can't defend himself now.
There is no way his colleagues at the time didn't know, suspect or were involved to some degree.
In light of these allegations against Malcolm, the RC should be extended to fully investigate a potential political paedophile ring.
When looking at the other things he’s been apart of such as immigration and a social worker, really could be a big number of people whose lives he’s ruined?

While I'd like to see the RC being extended, I wonder if the Terms of Reference for the RC would allow for an extension including if there was any cover up of the original investigations back then.

My guess is that this government would be reluctant to set up a new investigation so we're probably only going to have the police looking in it and any other politicians potentially involved.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
While I'd like to see the RC being extended, I wonder if the Terms of Reference for the RC would allow for an extension including if there was any cover up of the original investigations back then.

My guess is that this government would be reluctant to set up a new investigation so we're probably only going to have the police looking in it and any other politicians potentially involved.
Being that it’s that party currently in government, I would expect what you have stated to happen. This is going to require a huge investigation, also into the cover up back when as you say. I hope those that have given evidence in the royal commission don’t let this lie, because they deserve justice and have likely been treated as liars their whole lives with these accusations. There were complaints against this guy way back as stated in the article

Being that it’s that party currently in government, I would expect what you have stated to happen. This is going to require a huge investigation, also into the cover up back when as you say. I hope those that have given evidence in the royal commission don’t let this lie, because they deserve justice and have likely been treated as liars their whole lives with these accusations. There were complaints against this guy way back as stated in the article
The decades of denial and stone walling against these complainants is a national disgrace and it must be sorted out now no matter how dirty and uncomfortable it is for anyone dead or alive.

They are allegations that should be investigated fully.
Just because he is dead does not mean that the truth will not be revealed.
Agree, but this is decades ago with the potential culprit dead.

You cannot find someone guilty after they are dead.

It would need some sort of independent enquiry - but didn’t we just have the royal commission that looked into this and they couldn’t find anything definitive?

It seems like from that enquiry though the police were looking into this guy.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

It would need some sort of independent enquiry - but didn’t we just have the royal commission that looked into this and they couldn’t find anything definitive?

Being that there were complaints way back when he was alive, isn’t it worthy of investigation into how there could potentially have been a cover up? And worse again, whether there was potentially some sort of syndicate at play. This would be one of the biggest scandals and shameful chapters in this country’s history

It is a question of finding the truth.
Maybe the extent of the allegations were outside the brief of the RC because so many victims have come forward having been abused in similar circumstances.
Ultimately it doesn't matter. Defenseless children have been preyed upon by those that were supposedly pillars of our society, there to help these kids.
Call me a conspiracist but I believe colleagues would knowingly cover up for abusers.

I find it interesting how we determine what is "fair".

Being self-employed, I'm able to reduce my tax bill by claiming as expenses household bills that relate to the areas of the house I use to run the business (a Bedroom I use as an office, the Dining Room used for collating documents and meeting clients and part of the garage used for storing old job files, accounts and samples of things like roof and wall claddings, bench tops etc.). Because the space I use is around 15% of the house, that means I can claim 15% of the rates, mortgage interest (if we had a mortgage on the property), insurances, phone etc.

My wife works from home three days a week, but she is not allowed to reduce her tax bill by 5% of those same costs (based on the amount of the house she's using when she works from home).

Because I run a business from home, is it fair that I have a tax advantage over salaried workers who are taxed via PAYE working from home?

As a landlord, I'm still able to deduct the full cost of insurance, bulk water charges, non-capital repairs and maintenance, and rates. But, a houseowner (who doesn't run their business from home) can't. The only thing I couldn't deduct was interest on the rental.

It seems to me that Labour's policy about interest deduction and the increase of the Brightline tax period had nothing to do with what I could deduct compared to an owner/occupier (otherwise they would have also stopped me being able to deduct insurance, rates, etc.) or how long I owned the property, but their way of introducing a tax on capital gain on investment properties while not having a CGT.

Does this sound plausible being that the person in question was once a member of that party? These findings are obviously from the royal commission

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back