Warriors

Kickoff In:

Go Media Stadium

Saturday
Night
19:30

Storm

Team Lists

I rewatched that rd 2 game. We controlled the middle that night which allowed us to suffocate Hughes, Papenhuyzen, Coates for 38 minutes of that second half. That's got to be the gameplan again. Boys in the middle will make or break our chances in this game. Melbourne pack won't roll over like the Cows pack did. I'd even be tempted to start AFB off the bench to neutralise NAS's impact when he comes on the field.

Welch failed his HIA and NAS wasn't playing, so we had a free pass in the 2nd half

I want a fast start with Walker/AFB and put scoreboard pressure on them, and playing the crowd into the game, hoping for Tohu/Capewell to hold NAS

I want a fast start with Walker/AFB and put scoreboard pressure on them, and playing the crowd into the game, hoping for Tohu/Capewell to hold NAS

Isnt Tohu starting?
I must be one of the few (with Webby) who believes Walker, Jazzy & CHT together off the bench will raise the energy.
Unlike big foot (Tohu) who will come lumbering on to continue momentum with Capewell. No thanks.

Isnt Tohu starting?
I must be one of the few (with Webby) who believes Walker, Jazzy & CHT together off the bench will raise the energy.
Unlike big foot (Tohu) who will come lumbering on to continue momentum with Capewell. No thanks.

Tohu's named at 13....like last week, where they swapped last minute

Maybe I still remember NAS trying to reverse hip drop Walker last year.....we'll see what happens, CHT can bash NAS with his balls

Paul Roache got a penalty against Penrith using fast play the ball and simple dummy half speed that gets offside penalties. One play later Yeo was sitting for ten. Ten minutes later he was back and had scored twice.

The point I make is playing the game at speed is simply about putting them under defensive pressure to cause infringements or line breaks or points.

I can't help but think the forum is setting themselves up for a bit of a fall here. TMM's form has been encouraging, SJ is a good player, the second rowers are a better version of what we need than they were, but putting it all together is another thing. Hopefully the stars align.
We kinda have nothing to lose. And I hope the players take that message in with them on game day.

I think we all (mostly) realise that a Storm win is the expected outcome. And we are not alone in expecting to lose to Melbourne ninety nine times out of a hundred, that is how almost every realistic informed fan in the NRL going up against the cheats feel.

Even Penrith Fans will have a slight doubt in the minds eye against Melbourne whether they need to or not. Melbourne are the real thing, a generational empire, a monster, they are best of the best, sorry Riff, you have only been good for five minutes by comparison.

Our biggest asset is that the last time we played them, we had them bleeding badly when we went crazy horse on their asses. Our players won't have forgotten that.

Every time they score we will hit back, and hopefully please Jesus, we will strike a counter blow and go toe to toe this time. We have the momentum behind us to brawl it out with them in the corner of the ring, we do not need to wait this time for a coaching twelve step program to try to win at the pre planned on a white board time.
None of this hang in there with them and when the bench comes on we run them over.....this time....we have the personnel to grind it out after scoring points, and to strike hard every time we have front foot ball.

Obviously if we do that, Johnson will see little opportunities open up for himself when the Storm adjust to focus on Martin, and he is good enough to not pass to TMM and just take the try himself.

We have form, we have confidence, if they hit us, we smack them right back.

With SJ coming in it is obvious he gets the ball on the last inside our half.

Equally it is obvious that the majority of attacking ball in the red zone is set up for Te Maire Martin to play 'half back'.

Not a really hard dynamic to understand or switch too, it is what we have been playing for three weeks already, even with Egan in there last week.

Martin should get two touches on average in the red zone, one for a probe in the lower tackles and he should be first receiver on the last in the red zone for his short kicking game which is red hot right now (in goal kick from Martin for a repeat set, or he sees an opportunity and we run him at the Storm, something they are not used to....no one is....which is why it has been going so brilliantly).

Johnson can control everything else including setting up block plays in the early tackles on attack to stretch the Storm on their left edge before a fast ball to Martin.

I am getting really excited about SJ returning already, I can see how we could be that team we all want this year with Shaun back.

Bottom line, everything I typed as a dreamers game plan and any other possible game plan, is only as good as the Defence.

Defend better than their attack, and any idiot could draft an a game plan to beat them.

Last edited:
We kinda have nothing to lose. And I hope the players take that message in with them on game day.

I think we all (mostly) realise that a Storm win is the expected outcome. And we are not alone in expecting to lose to Melbourne ninety nine times out of a hundred, that is how almost every realistic informed fan in the NRL going up against the cheats feel.

Even Penrith Fans will have a slight doubt in the minds eye against Melbourne whether they need to or not. Melbourne are the real thing, a generational empire, a monster, they are best of the best, sorry Riff, you have only been good for five minutes by comparison.

Our biggest asset is that the last time we played them, we had them bleeding badly when we went crazy horse on their asses. Our players won't have forgotten that.

Every time they score we will hit back, and hopefully please Jesus, we will strike a counter blow and go toe to toe this time. We have the momentum behind us to brawl it out with them in the corner of the ring, we do not need to wait this time for a coaching twelve step program to try to win at the pre planned on a white board time.
None of this hang in there with them and when the bench comes on we run them over.....this time....we have the personnel to grind it out after scoring points, and to strike hard every time we have front foot ball.

Obviously if we do that, Johnson will see little opportunities open up for himself when the Storm adjust to focus on Martin, and he is good enough to not pass to TMM and just take the try himself.

We have form, we have confidence, if they hit us, we smack them right back.

With SJ coming in it is obvious he gets the ball on the last inside our half.

Equally it is obvious that the majority of attacking ball in the red zone is set up for Te Maire Martin to play 'half back'.

Not a really hard dynamic to understand or switch too, it is what we have been playing for three weeks already, even with Egan in there last week.

Martin should get two touches on average in the red zone, one for a probe in the lower tackles and he should be first receiver on the last in the red zone for his short kicking game which is red hot right now (in goal kick from Martin for a repeat set, or he sees an opportunity and we run him at the Storm, something they are not used to....no one is....which is why it has been going so brilliantly).

Johnson can control everything else including setting up block plays in the early tackles on attack to stretch the Storm on their left edge before a fast ball to Martin.

I am getting really excited about SJ returning already, I can see how we could be that team we all want this year with Shaun back.

Bottom line, everything I typed as a dreamers game plan and any other possible game plan, is only as good as the Defence.

Defend better than their attack, and any idiot could draft an a game plan to beat them.

SJ could run on the last inside our half, Storm will be confused

SJ could run on the last inside our half, Storm will be confused

I like the idea because you are right it would confuse any team in the NRL if that happened.

However to run it long range you have to have at least two speed options, one as the first pass SJ unloads (he is slow so he has to offload that first counter attack ball to someone pacey to burn the cover) and then you need an even faster player that is quick enough to burn ground and take the last pass.

Last tackle counter attack needs three players (unless you have the Fox in your team).

As such, looking at our squad, you would be talking about Johnson passes to Sheck, DWZ screams up and takes the last pass.

In other words we could do it, but ìt is the kind of play that Coaches sign off on after the team is winning all the time because they are on point with the standard game plan.

It is next level stuff in other words.

The stuff the fancy boys at the Ferrari clubs pull on us, because they are so consistent and dominant with their high percentage plays.

Take the last time we played the Storm as an example.

They pulled out the trick plays at the end to defeat us. But they are only able to do that because they rule the Rugby league universe in the basics.

Penrith and the Broncos are the same. They dominate the basics first then their coaches have the luxury of allowing the Reece Walshes and the Jerome Luai's of the world to unleash fancy attacking footy when the game is on the line.

But the real reason they are the best is not that they can do that to you, it is because they almost always win the wrestle first then they added those sprinkles on top.

We are not quite there yet with the grinding chess part of the game.

Last edited:
I like the idea because you are right it would confuse any team in the NRL if that happened.

However to run it long range you have to have at least two speed options, one as the first pass SJ unloads (he is slow so he has to offload that first counter attack ball to someone pacey to burn the cover) and then you need an even faster player that is quick enough to burn ground and take the last pass.

Last tackle counter attack needs three players (unless you have the Fox in your team).

As such, looking at our squad, you would be talking about Johnson passes to Sheck, DWZ screams up and takes the last pass.

In other words we could do it, but ìt is the kind of play that Coaches sign off on after the team is winning all the time because they are on point with the standard game plan.

It is next level stuff in other words.

The stuff the fancy boys at the Ferrari clubs pull on us, because they are so consistent and dominant with their high percentage plays.

Take the last time we played the Storm as an example.

They pulled out the trick plays at the end to defeat us. But they are only able to do that because they rule the Rugby league universe in the basics.

Penrith and the Broncos are the same. They dominate the basics first then their coaches have the luxury of allowing the Reece Walshes and the Jerome Luai's of the world to unleash fancy attacking footy when the game is on the line.

But the real reason they are the best is not that they can do that to you, it is because they almost always win the wrestle first then they added those sprinkles on top.

We are not quite there yet.

We have Charnz and Dallin but it's more about confusing their defenders than actually scoring, mess with their heads, if we run that play most likely SJ takes the gap, passes to Ford for a punt down the field 🤣 🤣

We have Charnz and Dallin but it's more about confusing their defenders than actually scoring, mess with their heads, if we run that play most likely SJ takes the gap, passes to Ford for a punt down the field 🤣 🤣
We have run it on the last a couple of times. When their winger drops back to cover the last tackle kick there is often an overlap which we have exploited. Unfortunately once Kosi kicked it straight into Bostock and the other time CNK passed the wrong way. It's a great option though I think that we should look at at least once a game

If you want to be them you gotta beat them.

We're fielding a strong team that's feeling good. I relish the challenge.

And if it all goes to shit, what's new? 🤣

I wasn't so much meaning the Storm game, I'm optimistic about that. I'm meaning the setting ourselves up for a fall with the TMM/SJ anticipation by expecting to get the absolute best of each of them, and in a way that meshes perfectly with the team and game plan.

I'm hopeful we will see more from TMM and less rigid and predictable play from SJ, but to expect a perfect harmony is unlikely. My expectations are hopeful, but tempered. Barnett and Niukore at 2nd row make me excited.

We have run it on the last a couple of times. When their winger drops back to cover the last tackle kick there is often an overlap which we have exploited. Unfortunately once Kosi kicked it straight into Bostock and the other time CNK passed the wrong way. It's a great option though I think that we should look at at least once a game
Yeah, especially when we get to their 40m which we frequently do. Good call.

The sooner a backline is straightened the better, that is where TMM is so effective, it means the players outside him have options to go inside or out or pass. It is three things, possession, position and pace. It is about the ball beating the man

The sooner a backline is straightened the better, that is where TMM is so effective, it means the players outside him have options to go inside or out or pass. It is three things, possession, position and pace. It is about the ball beating the man
Exactly and that's what happened when TMM moved to 7.

Watching Once A Warrior.
Tohu Harris.
I think he will be massive this week.
I think Webby will use him in a way to make his stint not just effective but epic at times.
Watching his younger highlights on there it's obvious the old fulla's slowed down and lost a bit of agility, it's up to Webby and Tohu to work out how he's best effective now, last week off the bench was his best game in ages so reduced minutes might be the way forward if he's staying at lock for one of his stints.

Back