Pick Your Team Warriors v Storm - Round 15, 2024

Fair enough, but how long do you give TMM and SJ (and Webby!) to formulate a plan on how to do this and then learn to execute said plan?

Because I've got news for a few of you....it's highly unlikely that all of that will be sorted out by this weekend.

Since we were in a massive hole with the old plan, there is no logic in not taking however long it takes to avoid going back to it.

Rather than being a gamble as you frame it, it is the only option if you want things not to revert to the way they were.

I was a strong proponent of not changing last seasons winning plan, I argued many times this year that we just need to continue unchanged and do it better.

I believe that argument has been blown out of the water by the last three games which removed the structures in large part by default as a natural consequence of changing all of the staff.

This freed up a eyes up running number seven that goes deep into the line which creates gaps without being scripted like the #SJ ball 2023 'go right and or pop a short ball to a big forward in the opposition 20.....tackle five....bomb...where is Berry....run Berry run...chase that thing'....

Martin can go deep into the line on the left side if Johnson fires him quick ball like Walker does....and we can maintain an exciting eyes up attack that balances out Johnsons structured right sided set plays.

The problem really is, that before the TMM at seven revelation, the ball he received was A) too infrequent B) as an after thought when the right side failed.

A) and B) are both solved by a simple passing it early to the left and more often than before.....there is no need to make elaborate plans to bring TMM into the game.

I realise that I am making an oversimplification with my breaking it down to fundamentals.

There will be timing issues at first - there are timing issues right now, but it works because TMM is good enough to make it work.

As for how often do you get SJ to go to TMM? whenever he wants it...he is the one with the hot hand right now....

Last edited:
The TMM Johnson debate is an interesting one. The fact that TMM and CHT have complimented each other and the team and orchestrated 3 excellent Wins against sides which will all be in the hunt at the end of the season says something positive about the Warriors future halves prospects. However Johnson has a distinct advantage with the accuracy and distance in his kicks and for me at this point in time is the better organiser / game manager. Therefore he needs to start at 7, TMM at 6 and CHT at 14. I think the more pressing question is how does the coach get the best out of RTS and in which position?

Slightly off topic - but quite funny to see super rugby copying the Warriors match day experience.

The Blues running out to a lit up tunnel & the Hurricanes playing their victory song at full time. Imitation is the best form of flattery or something
Warriors copied Afl, they play the victory song at the start and make it very patriotic. Then at the end.

TMM has been great, with SJ out he has stepped up and played really well. It’s been a pleasure to see.

He has also been helped out with by a much better team effort, a game plan that’s been designed to suit his strengths and opposition who haven’t played very well.

SJ is still the number one option for me but getting them to work in tandem is the key to going as far as last season. I think we’ve got the brains trust to make this happen.

the thing for me is, what are people expecting? If SJ comes in this game, the team looks good, we are using both sides of the field and he gets something like 2 try assists, 2 line break assists etc and TMM has 20 tackles, no line breaks, no assists etc. Will people be going TMM is missing, underutilised, etc etc??

Yes? 🤣

Omparing run metres is a bit deceptive. For instance taking the kick off versus the hard tackles where the defence is right on you. Ford is a beast no doubt but this week will be instructive.

the thing for me is, what are people expecting? If SJ comes in this game, the team looks good, we are using both sides of the field and he gets something like 2 try assists, 2 line break assists etc and TMM has 20 tackles, no line breaks, no assists etc. Will people be going TMM is missing, underutilised, etc etc??

Because the reality is that will more than likely happen. Everyone saying CHT had a good game on the weekend (and I think he did, complimented TMM and the team style well IMO) but he had no line breaks, no try, no try assist, no line break assist....

For me, whoever plays 7 gets the lion's share of possession and playmaking. Whoever is 6 is not going to. The team performance and the balance of play - ie opening up the entire field like we have been seeing the last 3 games is the important measure.

Its not imperative to me for TMM or CHT or whoever is at 6 to be heavily featured in these stats as long as the team overall is performing as we have seen.
I will be hoping if SJ and TMM are selected that they gel and we get the win.
Nothing more Nothing less 😌

I'm solidly in this camp.

TMM is only part of the reason we have gone so well.

What the coaches have done quickly is rejig the plan. It's worked well enough that a competent, classy, silky Half has been able to use his strengths.
I think the jury is out here. TMM has shown he has all the skills to be a no 7 as long as SJ lets him manage the game. Te Maire has shown more on both attack and defence as Shaun has struggled with injury. AW has a difficult choice here but will probably stick with SJ on Saturday.

I see the media are making up excuses for why we beat the Cowboys so well.

Because of origin.

Sorry, but all that is, is poor coaching. If you have players fatigured because they played origin are not up to playing another 80 minutes 3 or 4 days later. Choose someone else thats why every team in the NRL has a squad of 30 players to choose from.

1718068507945.png

lol

We had Up to 10 first grade starters out of our last 2 games and beat 2 top 4 teams ( Panthers and Dophins )

Origin period is so annoying, mitch moses has a relatively sub par game last night, and straight away on nrl 360 he def should be in the origin squad lol

Fuck off origin, as much as the game is entertaining. All the fluff that goes with it is rediculous.

I think the jury is out here. TMM has shown he has all the skills to be a no 7 as long as SJ lets him manage the game. Te Maire has shown more on both attack and defence as Shaun has struggled with injury. AW has a difficult choice here but will probably stick with SJ on Saturday.

Swapping there roles with johnson to 6 could be the master stroke to get them to gel. We havent tried it yet have we ? Seems logical to give it a go while TMM is in that form at 7

I see the media are making up excuses for why we beat the Cowboys so well.

Because of origin.

Sorry, but all that is, is poor coaching. If you have players fatigured because they played origin are not up to playing another 80 minutes 3 or 4 days later. Choose someone else thats why every team in the NRL has a squad of 30 players to choose from.

View attachment 7790

lol

We had Up to 10 first grade starters out of our last 2 games and beat 2 top 4 teams ( Panthers and Dophins )

Origin period is so annoying, mitch moses has a relatively sub par game, and straight away on nrl 360 he def should be in the origin squad lol

Fuck off origin, as much as the game is entertaining. All the fluff that goes with it is rediculous.
I see Buzz Rockfield on NRL360 last night suggested that Origin be played on a Monday night giving origin players at least four days break before the normal round. No one else on the panel found fault with it which is unusual as they are always at him for his differing views.

It's about shelving ego's. The plan is sound and can work with SJ in as well. One of the telling challenges will be in facing a very winning Melbourne.

7 games ago I would offer no chance of us winning this. But now the whole competition is on notice that we are in form.

Earn it. And destroy them. Oh yeah and watch out for Coates

How can it possibly a 50/50 call, you have TMM who has been setting up tries for fun the last 3 weeks and CHT who has done nothing of note, hmmmmm
It's not like he is some god. Webby shifted the gameplan, the team around him played so much better in previous weeks. In his post match Martin said it is designed for 7 to play middle so of course he will have more touches/assists.

Didn't we score 3 tries of his passes hit the ground of Rocco's shoulder? Don't let winning blind you

Back