Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I wonder what position a number 8 what play in league. Second row I guess. Or maybe make him a Moses Suli like Centre.

I had also heard he might try for the NSW cup team. So we will see where he ends up.
Pretty much throw out the cross code numbering on this one I'd say.

In a Warriors set up he could play any one of 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13.

OK so maybe not wing....but the Wahs do love big slow wings so don't rule that out 100%.

Yeah Center is in his range, he has the raw bits to be a monster center. With targeted training for the backs (speed work for this chap, he has the rest a center needs) and diet (lean muscle mass, tweak that union big thigh pushing stuff out of his build).

Or they make a go at Prop, he has clearly played as a back in juniors somewhere, he has late footwork, and knows how/when to change gears accelerate and hit nitros oxide.

As a prop project he could retain his Union no 8 body frame and be a beast.

Or.....my favorite option....they go for a 13 who can play Prop and thereby put him in the closest thing to a No 8 Union (saves completely retraining a kid who has no league background although he will still need mega retraining because modern Props and 13s are technical positions now).

To be the best Prop in the NRL nowadays you have to have expert technique and micro skills with timing, angles, body position going into contact, post contact meters, play the ball speed, wrestling.

A lot of fans think Prop is straight forward, it used to be, now it suits the teachable pupil, not the crash bash cave dweller.

This is why we struggle to make our exciting NSW cup props into NRL props.

We send in guys who look a million dollars that have no micro skills or technical brilliance.

Addin Fonua Blake looks like he is jogging to the line. He is not, he is making life seem easy for the defenders who come in with less venom, he has a whole bag of tricks actually, turning side on, presenting his back to the tacklers, using his hips, and punching it when they''re not expecting it.

The thing I like best about the Fonua Blake runs is the way he looks casual and the way the defenders come forward in kind. Conservation of energy is a skill in any endurance side to any sporting activity, and he is a master of it.

His leg drive for post contact is going with momentum, it is almost a walk (easier to walk carrying bodies than try use max leg sprint because of maintaining center of gravity and foot balance).

That is why AFB is the best and can go 80 mins if needed.

A young Prop from NZ is taught run hard and straight, drive hard in contact, fight to get up...

This lad being Ex Union will be used to lots of rules on forward play and body position....those rules just need retraining.

Last edited:
Pretty much throw out the cross code numbering on this one I'd say.

In a Warriors set up he could play any apart from the spine.

OK so maybe not wing....but the Wahs do love big slow wings so don't rule that out 100%.

Yeah Center is in his range, he has the raw bits to be a monster center. With targeted training for the backs (speed work for this chap, he has the rest a center needs) and diet (lean muscle mass, tweak that union big thigh pushing stuff out of his build).

Or they make a go at Prop, he has clearly played as a back in juniors somewhere, he has late footwork, and knows how/when to change gears accelerate and hit nitros oxide.

As a prop project he could retain his Union no8 body frame and be a beast.

Or.....my favorite option....they go for a 13 who can play Prop and thereby put him in the closest thing to a No8 Union (saves completely retraining a kid who has no league background although he will still need mega retraining because modern Props and 13s are technical positions now).

To be the best Prop in the NRL nowadays you have to have expert technique and micro skills with timing, angles, body position going into contact, post contact meters, play the ball speed, wrestling.

A lot of fans think Prop is straight forward, it used to be, now it suits the teachable pupil, not the crash bash cave dweller.

This is why we struggle to make our exciting NSW cup props into NRL props.

We send in guys who look a million dollars that have no micro skills or technical brilliance.

Addin Fonua Blake looks like he is jogging to the line. He is not, he is drawing the defenders forward to punch it when they're not expecting it.
His leg drive for post contact is going with momentum, it is almost a walk (easier to walk carrying bodies than try use max leg sprint because of maintaining center of gravity and foot balance).

That is why AFB is the best and can go 80 mins if needed.

A young Prop from NZ is taught run hard and straight, drive hard in contact, fight to get up...

This lad being Ex Union will be used to lots of rules on forward play and body position....those rules just need retraining.
I thought prop considering the filling out he has to come yet. Big upper body already.

The best Five-Eight in the game is a big call. He might be coming off a career best year but I think he would've been squeezed out of the Kiwis starting 13 had SJ been available last year
Yeah that’s possible re SJ, I’d have gone SJ & Brown ahead of Hughes just for balance & the side of the field they play. On a week to week basis I don’t rate Munster as much as I use to & Mam is still developing, hence Brown number 1 for me at 5-8.

Canterbury have zeroed-in on Terrell May with a multi-year contract offer that could prise the promising forward out of the Roosters.

One of the finds of last season for the Bondi club, May climbed out of the NSW Cup to finish 2023 as a major influence on the club’s stirring late season surge to the finals.

Such was his presence in the middle of the field for the Roosters, May’s season culminated with 17 NRL appearances and his international debut for Samoa against Australia.

Still just 24-years-old, May is off-contract at the end of the upcoming 2024 season.

His management has been pitching the 183cm prop-forward to clubs with an asking price of around $500,000 a season.

The Roosters are attempting to hold onto May, but face a delicate salary cap juggle with the likes of representative forwards Brandon Smith, Lindsay Collins, and Spencer Leniu and rising stars Siua Wong and Naufahu Whyte all tied-up beyond 2024.

May is an ideal target for a Bulldogs pack crying out for a hard-nosed big man.

The club are on the hunt for additional support in their front-row following the departure of Tevita Pangai Jr and Luke Thompson, while the club also opted out of signing Sio Siua Taukeiaho for medical reasons.

A Panthers under-20s and NSW Cup player, May has a relationship with Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo from their days together at Penrith.

It was only last week that May went public with his desire to sign with any club that would also sign his two brothers, Taylan (Panthers) and Tyrone (Hull KR).

“I want to be honest here, my talks are with whoever wants to sign us three brothers, that’s where I want to be,” May told The Bloke In A Bar podcast.

“Robbo (Roosters coach Trent Robinson) knows too. I haven’t hid it from him. Whichever club wants three brothers, that’s where I’ll be at.

“We are all off at the same time. That’s the preference, if a club can get all three of us, I’ll sign there in a heartbeat no matter what. I think everyone would.

“If you have two brothers you could be at the same club with, I think you’d want to be there no matter the situation.’’

The Bulldogs are constantly assessing their roster and won’t rule out discussing the acquisition of Taylan and Tyrone, but it’s understood the club’s only focus at this point in time is on signing May.

Taylan, an elusive winger, is on the comeback trail after missing the entire 2023 season with a torn ACL.

Tyrone is preparing for the 2024 season in the English Super League with Hull KR.

Does anyone have any deets about Toby Crosby and why he's with us?

Generally NZ Rugby keep the guys they want, or they go off and earn big bucks somewhere else. Can't remember too many union blokes with big wraps on them coming to the Warriors...anyone have any oil?

Also couldn't find anything re his weight, height and age but he looks promising as fuck, when do we hope to see him making waves in NSW Cup, are we thinking this year?

Canterbury have zeroed-in on Terrell May with a multi-year contract offer that could prise the promising forward out of the Roosters.

One of the finds of last season for the Bondi club, May climbed out of the NSW Cup to finish 2023 as a major influence on the club’s stirring late season surge to the finals.

Such was his presence in the middle of the field for the Roosters, May’s season culminated with 17 NRL appearances and his international debut for Samoa against Australia.

Still just 24-years-old, May is off-contract at the end of the upcoming 2024 season.

His management has been pitching the 183cm prop-forward to clubs with an asking price of around $500,000 a season.

The Roosters are attempting to hold onto May, but face a delicate salary cap juggle with the likes of representative forwards Brandon Smith, Lindsay Collins, and Spencer Leniu and rising stars Siua Wong and Naufahu Whyte all tied-up beyond 2024.

May is an ideal target for a Bulldogs pack crying out for a hard-nosed big man.

The club are on the hunt for additional support in their front-row following the departure of Tevita Pangai Jr and Luke Thompson, while the club also opted out of signing Sio Siua Taukeiaho for medical reasons.

A Panthers under-20s and NSW Cup player, May has a relationship with Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo from their days together at Penrith.

It was only last week that May went public with his desire to sign with any club that would also sign his two brothers, Taylan (Panthers) and Tyrone (Hull KR).

“I want to be honest here, my talks are with whoever wants to sign us three brothers, that’s where I want to be,” May told The Bloke In A Bar podcast.

“Robbo (Roosters coach Trent Robinson) knows too. I haven’t hid it from him. Whichever club wants three brothers, that’s where I’ll be at.

“We are all off at the same time. That’s the preference, if a club can get all three of us, I’ll sign there in a heartbeat no matter what. I think everyone would.

“If you have two brothers you could be at the same club with, I think you’d want to be there no matter the situation.’’

The Bulldogs are constantly assessing their roster and won’t rule out discussing the acquisition of Taylan and Tyrone, but it’s understood the club’s only focus at this point in time is on signing May.

Taylan, an elusive winger, is on the comeback trail after missing the entire 2023 season with a torn ACL.

Tyrone is preparing for the 2024 season in the English Super League with Hull KR.
Geez if they’re after $500k a season then I’d offer that plus a NZ premium (to entice him over) in a heartbeat. Doubt he’d come given how important family clearly is to him, but he will be a gun prop.

Geez if they’re after $500k a season then I’d offer that plus a NZ premium (to entice him over) in a heartbeat. Doubt he’d come given how important family clearly is to him, but he will be a gun prop.

Id be happy for the 3 siblings to all be here. How much would you offer all 3 - gun winger, huge potential prop and decent utility off the bench?

I'd go 1.3mil a year (550 Terrel, 450 Taylan, 300 Tyrone).

Generally NZ Rugby keep the guys they want, or they go off and earn big bucks somewhere else. Can't remember too many union blokes with big wraps on them coming to the Warriors...anyone have any oil?

Also couldn't find anything re his weight, height and age but he looks promising as fuck, when do we hope to see him making waves in NSW Cup, are we thinking this year?
From what I understand, he played for a poor secondary school so didn't get picked for many schools/rep teams due to their results. This is secondary information though and haven't bothered to check if this is true

From what I understand, he played for a poor secondary school so didn't get picked for many schools/rep teams due to their results. This is secondary information though and haven't bothered to check if this is true
Went to St Pats Siverstream which is a good sports school

He didn't get noticed as he was the best player on the worst wellington premier division side and players look better when they win.

He was in the wider Hurricanes squad at 19 but probably better than some guys in the squad and got frustrated at being over looked. The warriors solid performance in 2023 and better coaching attracted a lot more applicants this year including Toby.
There has been some zero tackle articles about one or two lesser known super rugby players switching to league this year and being heralded as stars in the articles. Toby is probably a better signing than them.
If you really want to get pumped by having him then consider that some of his closest supporters thought he had it in him to make the All Blacks if he got the right breaks. He could turn into anything for the Warriors in terms of his ceiling.

Someone posted that he missed out on Union reps so showed up at the Warriors (presumably off his own bat) and carved up at an open tryout.

I wonder what position a number 8 what play in league. Second row I guess. Or maybe make him a Moses Suli like Centre.

I had also heard he might try for the NSW cup team. So we will see where he ends up.
Always thought of them more as a 13.
As comparison when I played both I was a Fullback/Midfielder/sometimes 6 and would play second row in league.

Went to St Pats Siverstream which is a good sports school

He didn't get noticed as he was the best player on the worst wellington premier division side and players look better when they win.

He was in the wider Hurricanes squad at 19 but probably better than some guys in the squad and got frustrated at being over looked. The warriors solid performance in 2023 and better coaching attracted a lot more applicants this year including Toby.
There has been some zero tackle articles about one or two lesser known super rugby players switching to league this year and being heralded as stars in the articles. Toby is probably a better signing than them.
If you really want to get pumped by having him then consider that some of his closest supporters thought he had it in him to make the All Blacks if he got the right breaks. He could turn into anything for the Warriors in terms of his ceiling.
There you go, poor club side rather than secondary school. Cheers for the clarification