Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
This must be a lifestyle money decision hey.
It’s not an RTS test yourself to be the best choice.
A little sad to see someone so talented, in his prime playing in a B grade comp.
But equally more power to him setting himself up for his financial future.
Team will be coached by ex All Black coach Ian Foster and Steve Hanson is there in some capacity too, also Aaron Smith is playing there. I personally think he could transition better than RTS from already being a centre in league to being a second five/centre in union whereas RTS went from fullback to the midfield in union. Being a one year deal you’d wonder if there’s a chance he goes back to roosters after but with them after Staggs now perhaps not being that they would get him until 2026 anyway? Manu could cash in on that deal and come back to NZ and join a super rugby team to have a go at the All Blacks and the next World Cup?

Team will be coached by ex All Black coach Ian Foster and Steve Hanson is there in some capacity too, also Aaron Smith is playing there. I personally think he could transition better than RTS from already being a centre in league to being a second five/centre in union whereas RTS went from fullback to the midfield in union. Being a one year deal you’d wonder if there’s a chance he goes back to roosters after but with them after Staggs now perhaps not being that they would get him until 2026 anyway? Manu could cash in on that deal and come back to NZ and join a super rugby team to have a go at the All Blacks and the next World Cup?
I hope he has a go at making the AB's. Then we'll steal Reiko Ioane!? Lol

Wonder if going to rugby and make the AB squad could triple the salary? Unless they just trick the Japanese owners claiming he’s a rugby rockstar from NSW representing NZ 🤣

Joey will be the same age 27/28 roger was when he changed codes (suprised me, rog seemed older) anyway he won’t be making the all blacks from out of Japan too many years honing the skills that don’t translate between the codes and by the time they relearn everything they aren’t young anymore.

SBW was 23 when he left the dogs so when he actually became world class in union he was 27 and still athletically dominant.

Last edited:
Joey will be the same age 27/28 roger was when he changed codes (suprised me, rog seemed older) anyway he won’t be making the all blacks from out of Japan too many years honing the skills that don’t translate between the codes and by the time they get relearn everything they aren’t young anymore.

SBW was 23 when he left the dogs so when he actually became world class in union he was 27 and still athletically dominant.
Exactly right. If he has ambitions to be an All Black you would think he would try to play NPC at the end of next year.

The soonest he could be playing Super Rugby is when he is turning 30. Be very hard to make the ABs after the amount of elite rugby under his belt.

I hope he makes his bank then comes back to League and gets the Kiwis jersey back on.

Guess Aussie legends like Rogers, Loqi and Sailor got into the team easier over there, but they were dominating even the ABs in the early 2000s, special talents I guess, was Rogers a fullback or half at league? He ended up a great union fullback

Wingers would be a bit easier to convert, maybe Reece Walsh will convert when he’s 25 when he gets bored lol

Joey will be the same age 27/28 roger was when he changed codes (suprised me, rog seemed older) anyway he won’t be making the all blacks from out of Japan too many years honing the skills that don’t translate between the codes and by the time they get relearn everything they aren’t young anymore.

If he’s only targeting the World Cup cycle as seems to be the trend in what RTS was hoping to accomplish, then picking up a massive pay packet in the process isn’t silly. SBW went to France initially under Umaga before his time honing his craft in super rugby for a bit. I don’t see why Manu can’t do the same under Foster and Hansen, pretty handy tutors. SBW already had his offloads as a perfect weapon for the midfield in union but went from being a forward in league to a back in union, I think Manu has that offload already but will transition quicker from his time at centre in league

If he’s only targeting the World Cup cycle as seems to be the trend in what RTS was hoping to accomplish, then picking up a massive pay packet in the process isn’t silly. SBW went to France initially under Umaga before his time honing his craft in super rugby for a bit. I don’t see why Manu can’t do the same under Foster and Hansen, pretty handy tutors. SBW already had his offloads as a perfect weapon for the midfield in union but went from being a forward in league to a back in union, I think Manu has that offload already but will transition quicker from his time at centre in league

I think NZ Rugby have more say than anything.

You couldn't tell me RTS didn't have some sort of security in his deal about playing for the ABs. The spot wouldn't have been guaranteed but NZ Rugby will have done all they can to make sure he got there.

If Joey Manu signs with an NZ Super Team I would be astounded if he didn't at least get one cap. Unless it was a Benji Marshall style disaster - but I think he is better than that.

I think NZ Rugby have more say than anything.

You couldn't tell me RTS didn't have some sort of security in his deal about playing for the ABs. The spot wouldn't have been guaranteed but NZ Rugby will have done all they can to make sure he got there.

If Joey Manu signs with an NZ Super Team I would be astounded if he didn't at least get one cap. Unless it was a Benji Marshall style disaster - but I think he is better than that.
Think Foster and Hansen being there makes it interesting whether there is possible interest from NZ rugby in Manu becoming an All Black with early guidance by these two or if they are totally independent of NZ rugby? Surely they’ll be gauging his ability

Guess Aussie legends like Rogers, Loqi and Sailor got into the team easier over there, but they were dominating even the ABs in the early 2000s, special talents I guess, was Rogers a fullback or half at league? He ended up a great union fullback

Wingers would be a bit easier to convert, maybe Reece Walsh will convert when he’s 25 when he gets bored lol
The biggest impediment to transitioning over these days is the rules of the game. When Rogers and Co went over the game was much simpler, especially the breakdown. Most kids like RTS and Joey will have played a bit of Yawnion but 15-20 years away from the game is a lot and coming back successfully these days is a big ask.

Good luck to him though and nice to see a Tok boy doing well.

Unpopular opinion but I would replace AFB with a good first grade prop but not a marque, we need to redistribute some of our cap to the spine. I would be using the balance to make SJ a good offer to go one more year.
I'd imagine the thinking for SJ himself is as simple as stay or retire. I doubt an increased salary even comes into it. It would be a surprise to me if SJ causes a change to our cap percentage at all.

Extending Egan may need a small increase.

I agree we don't need a marquee prop. I'd expect a good player, a promising player, and an upgrade to an existing contract out of AFB. 600k, 300k, 100k

Last edited:
Personally I think it’s all shit, I got this message from obviously a fake account. 0 followers, 0 posts. Someone’s just trying to crack a cheap joke. Would take it with an absolute grain of salt.
165D7714-1084-4B16-BFA6-728B0022C4A2.png