Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Johnson gets us through 2024, will be replaced by CHT.
AFB gets us through 2024, will need to be replaced via recruitment.
Barnett gets us through 2025, can potentially be replaced in house by Zion.

Tohu gets us through 2025, probably needs a recruit.
Walker gets us through 2025, can be replaced in house (Jazz)or re-signed on the cheap.
Capewell gets us through 2026, definitely gets replaced in house.
RTS gets us through 2026, definitely gets replaced in house.

Props are a funny breed tho and seem to take way longer to develop.

Oregon Kaufusi, Spencer Lenui, Griffen Neame and Leo Thompson are some of those younger props who have made a name for their selves but still early in to their career.
With the exception of Thompson (who stats wise wasn't fantastic last year) all the others have played 3-5 seasons as a prop and are yet to establish their selves. I don't see Zion or any of our other newbies in a position to fill a starting prop spot week in week out and hit over 100m a game, that's probably not going to happen until 2026 minimum and even then, we'll be really lucky of they're ready to go at that time.

Must be more to this, either JT is out the door to rebalanced their cap or his knee is worse than anyone knows and he's retiring. Maybe Toddy just doesn't think he's captain material as a leader, or he's lost the dressing room himself as a coach.
I'd be a bit wary of signing Jason if it turns out he was undermining the coach. Purely speculation and rumours though.
It dosent matter how you slice it, removing the captaincy from a senior player and giving it to a junior is not an endorsement of what you bring to the group. If he were to leave it’s going to cost a chunk of change, and that’s If he wants to leave, find a team and then pass a medical to get registered.
I’d suggest the Cows are in the tin for a minimum of 1/2 his salary ($500k) for the remainder of his 10 year contract if it ever eventuated.

Props are a funny breed tho and seem to take way longer to develop.

Oregon Kaufusi, Spencer Lenui, Griffen Neame and Leo Thompson are some of those younger props who have made a name for their selves but still early in to their career.
With the exception of Thompson (who stats wise wasn't fantastic last year) all the others have played 3-5 seasons as a prop and are yet to establish their selves. I don't see Zion or any of our other newbies in a position to fill a starting prop spot week in week out and hit over 100m a game, that's probably not going to happen until 2026 minimum and even then, we'll be really lucky of they're ready to go at that time.
What's the prevailing theory on this? Is it because the of the size required to be competitive in that position is only increasing? Is it trying to strike a balance between motor and weight that isn't achieved until mid-20s? Was it the change in interchange rules?
Since the rise of Taumalolo in '15 the expectation for props abilities have changed and 10 minute impact stints are no longer worth the interchange.
Now Hass has set the new standard of what a prop can do everyones playing catch up. Ben Te Kura would surely have to be a recruitment target in that case.

Friendly reminder that in QCup Molo hit a guy so hard he killed him.
Yeah he did, but even the young guy who died Father watching on the sideline rung Molo to say it was a terrible freak accident, his Mother was also very public in condemning the broncos for their tackle technique and not changing it after the incident, though Molo still has a tendency to hit high at times. Terrible situation, the coroner said the injury was mostly seen in car accidents such was the force.

Some of my own analysis on JT.

Open secret him and Payton hate each. It’s spoken at length in the Cow forum. There’s talk that Payton made him play on through that dodgy knee delaying surgery.

The Cows have to pay JT 1mill a year. No matter what.

JT was rubbish as a mobile lock, he was back to a beast as an out and out prop. We are lacking an out and out prop.

JT has very strong pacific roots.

Payton has connections to the Warriors.

JT is used to living in a shithole.

Now individually each of those things mean fuck all, but once you mix them all in a bucket, there’s a very good chance it could come out as a “JT to the Warriors” cocktail.

Payton could wake up desperate to move him on, to free up a roster spot and even at 50%, half a million in cap space.

Some of my own analysis on JT.

Open secret him and Payton hate each. It’s spoken at length in the Cow forum. There’s talk that Payton made him play on through that dodgy knee delaying surgery.

The Cows have to pay JT 1mill a year. No matter what.

JT was rubbish as a mobile lock, he was back to a beast as an out and out prop. We are lacking an out and out prop.

JT has very strong pacific roots.

Payton has connections to the Warriors.

JT is used to living in a shithole.

Now individually each of those things mean fuck all, but once you mix them all in a bucket, there’s a very good chance it could come out as a “JT to the Warriors” cocktail.

Payton could wake up desperate to move him on, to free up a roster spot and even at 50%, half a million in cap space.
You’d have to think dolphins are a real possibility. Tongan coach, in Queensland, just announced in last in last few days Jesse Bromwich very likely to retire at the end of the year. Storm too on the hunt for middles and have some coin, they’ve shown they’re willing to spend it with Bromwich on big money with them in the past.

Him and Rudolf not drinking this year and looking to make a mark. Would imagine there’s a strong chance and the money offered seems like we’ve identified him as apart of their plans in 2025z

That news about BHU broke about 8 days ago, with some suggesting we just have to wait for that 10 day cool down period but that it's a done deal. Well see in the next 2 or 3 days.

A little excited about Cam saying well find something out 'next week'. I'm reading between the lines but to me, the BHU deal and Cam being in Aus til Nek week don't seem to match up.

Something else popping it's head up for 25?

That news about BHU broke about 8 days ago, with some suggesting we just have to wait for that 10 day cool down period but that it's a done deal. Well see in the next 2 or 3 days.

A little excited about Cam saying well find something out 'next week'. I'm reading between the lines but to me, the BHU deal and Cam being in Aus til Nek week don't seem to match up.

Something else popping it's head up for 25?
he looked very snug didnt he...

edit *smug

although those tracksuits are a tight fit too tbf...