Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Personally im ok with the Warriors part in the release...except the fact that we paid out some of his contract. If a player comes for a release from their contract, we should not be contributing a cent.
First Lodge now Volkman,

Is this a clause some players are now putting into their contracts when they sign on?.......pay me out if i leave early....

Because its beyond me why any club would do it otherwise.

I’d flip that question- what is CHT actually better at than our halves from season 23?
CHT has a couple of decent hits(which he would generally come off clutching his shoulder) and a tinny scorpion kick that to some seem to elevate him to immortal status and a defensive genius- the rest of his game is pretty bland, we really didn’t miss him at all last season
I sure do hope that CHT has been working on his last tackle kicking!! That low bomb he kept putting up used to drive me insane!!

Personally im ok with the Warriors part in the release...except the fact that we paid out some of his contract. If a player comes for a release from their contract, we should not be contributing a cent.
In hindsight, I like that they did that now. It makes us look better than what the Australian media are trying to make us out to be. Some heartless assholes. Dragons on the other hand. Said uh oh! Gtfoh Volk!

I sure do hope that CHT has been working on his last tackle kicking!! That low bomb he kept putting up used to drive me insane!!
A few on here at the time said that was because of an injury he was carrying. And to be fair his kicking game did seem to improve later on that season, but yeah that was doing my head in as well.

Never know tho, couldve been a crazy Brownie inspired tactic.......wouldnt have surprised me.

True. But if its his choice to want the release why should the club have to pay anything,
Maybe we are shit negotiators and the conversation went like this

Agent "My man Ronnie wants to leave and has St George lined up"
Cameron "Good shit he was only taking up a roster spot this year and we were only planning on using him 2025 when SJ retires. Bon Voyage Ronald"
Agent: We knew all that !! You think we were born yesterday? We know cutting him from your payroll saves you two years of contract worth $300K per year of $600K total. Me and Ronald want a slice of that action or we aint leaving and he will happily play NSW cup all season long taking up a space in your 30 as the other team he has the offer from Ronald isn't crazy about. It is St George and they are a celler dweller team who have no prospects of improving and there is talk of Ben Hunt leaving half way through the season. So if you want us to take this offer lets make this a win win all around and you pay us 50% of what you are saving?
Cameron - OK

I am not saying a rational GM would say yes to that tactic but I can see every agent worth his salt trying that argument on for size and seeing if it sticks. Especially with the warriors where we paid out Lodge an extra year for who knows what reason and the Lodge payment probably inspired Ronald's agent to try his luck.

So that is raw speculation but how it could have played out.

Maybe we are shit negotiators and the conversation went like this

Agent "My man Ronnie wants to leave and has St George lined up"
Cameron "Good shit he was only taking up a roster spot this year and we were only planning on using him 2025 when SJ retires. Bon Voyage Ronald"
Agent: We knew all that you think we were born yesterday? We know cutting him from your payroll saves you two years of contract work $300K per year of $600K total. Me and Ronald want a slice of that action or we aint leaving and he will happily play NSW cup all season long taking up a space in your 30 as the other team he has the offer from Ronald isn't crazy about. It is St George and they are a celler dweller team who have no prospects of improving and there is talk of Ben Hunt leaving half way through the season. So if you want us to take this offer lets make this a win win all around and you pay us 50% of what you are saving?
Cameron - OK

I am not saying a rational GM would say yes to that tactic but I can see every agent worth his salt trying that argument on for size and seeing if it sticks. Especially with the warriors where we paid out Lodge an extra year for who knows what reason and the Lodge payment probably inspired Ronald's agent to try his luck.

So that is raw speculation but how it could have played out.
Maybe it was his accumulated leave and holiday loading guys?

Because we get something out of it. Sometimes deals can be mutually beneficial
We were already getting the something (free up a years salary, roster spot) out if it anyway the moment he requested the release without having to spend an extra dollar.

However If it's possibly as you and Babylon Pink alluded to - relocation or holiday loading costs or a final term settlement (which im more inclined to think it is), that makes sense and can live with.

A bonus "here's something extra to help u on the way even tho we're not obliged to" ......nah don't like it.

Last edited:
We were already getting the something (free up a years salary, roster spot) out if it anyway the moment he requested the release without having to spend an extra dollar.

However If it's possibly as you and Babylon Pink alluded to - relocation or holiday loading costs or a final term settlement (which im more inclined to think it is), that makes sense and can live with.

A bonus "here's something extra to help u on the way even tho we're not obliged to" ......nah don't like it.
Never had a complimentary after dinner mint?