Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I think the more the Tigers are keen on AFB, the more realistic it is that we sign Papalii.

In June, Elle Timu announced she would move to Sydney to be with Papalii and play netball there.

6 months later, she still hasn't signed with anyone (no player has a 2024 contract due to a CBA disagreement similar to the RLPA one this year) and the latest is that she will just be a "training partner" for the swifts. So pretty much would only play with injury to someone else. Timu is also ineligible for the Silver Ferns while she is in Australia.

SSN player moves: Swifts linked to former Silver Ferns defender https://www.codesports.com.au/netball/super-netball/super-netball-2024-nsw-swifts-linked-to-former-new-zealand-star-elle-temu-as-training-partner/news-story/e9ceef4920a346f861ec8ea2f7a21278

There was all that chat about Papalii back flipping on the Tigers to come here last off season. Smoke.. fire.. etc.

This won't be a swap as such because Papalii will be off contract but the Tigers will have to make space somehow and not re-signing Papalii will do that.

Then we can use the balance of the salaries 400k+ to upgrade Tevaga/Lussick who are off contract this year
You reckon they’d transition him to the front row if that came about?

Just a thought to add to the debate.

Should he (and players in general) be able to buy his own contact out to leave early?

I don't think there's much point in that for a league as small as the NRL.

You see it in the big American leagues and European football. But those leagues have transfer windows and drafts as well

It's very limited how you get players in the NRL and the top salaries are still so low that there would ne no advantage to buying yourself out, not like you can go and triple your salary from some Juiced up Saudi league lol

Who’s this rugby fulla who signed with the tigers then?
Is he good?
IMG_3942.jpeg

I don’t know what he’s like now! When he played itm cup for northland a few years ago he was tearing up the comp! Apparently went through some demons good to see he’s having a crack at league. Amazing at this influx of union players having a go at NRL.
How much would he have been getting paid in rugby?
A quick google search tells me the super rugby salary cap is 5.5m which is less than half the nrls 12.1m.

So do u know what the average super rugby player would be on?
And what would the average all black be on all up?
Apparently the average nrl salary is $430,000.
I had a look for rugby but it all seems very secretive…

I'll take a very general stab at it!
I think we can probably count out the top 20 or so percent of All Blacks as they'd likely be earning 800k+

But the rest of rugby kinda goes up in tiers. You get a small amount for playing ITM cup (Most clubs don't even have a 1mil cap), but then super rugby contracts are between 75k and 200k, and then the All Blacks are another step up all together money wise (I don't think there's many numbers floated around).

So, imo I think we have a chance with players on the cusp of All Black selection, or newer ABs who have been in the team for less than 2 years. These guys are likely on 200-600k. If we were able to offer these guys 500-750k to jump ship, with the expectation that the NRL chips in a percentage I think we'd be in with a grin.

For example - generally a decent contract for wingers in the NRL is what, 300k? If we were to sign up an exciting outside back who's playing for the blues for 500k, after the salary cap relief we might get them for 350k or so.....makes that a much more likely scenario.

Or another scenario - Leo Thompson's brother. I don't think he's played for the ABs but on the cusp, likely on around 250k. Knights offer him 500k but only have to pay around 350 of that - imagine in 2 years they have another Leo. Huge bang for buck.

Do we actually know how much the NRL are offering to subsidise for Union players?

New club joins the hunt for Addin Fonua-Blake

Adam PengillyDecember 11, 2023 — 7.40pm
Listen to this article
The Sharks are considering making a play for superstar prop Addin Fonua-Blake as they search for their most significant signing since Nicho Hynes.
The Herald can reveal Cronulla officials have discussed luring the Tongan international for 2025, potentially joining the Tigers, Dragons and Bulldogs in the race for one of the NRL’s hottest free agents.
The Warriors are willing to release Fonua-Blake at the end of next season on compassionate grounds, but have stipulated he must join a Sydney club to be closer to his parents.
While the NRL’s bottom three clubs this season have all waded into the Fonua-Blake sweepstakes, the Sharks are now circling, too – although they are yet to table a formal offer.
On Monday, Sharks chairman Steve Mace remained non-commital about the Fonua-Blake chase, but said: “Why wouldn’t any club consider a player like Addin? He’d be a valuable asset to any team.”
Fonua-Blake, 28, could be the gamebreaker the Sharks crave to forge deeper into the finals after bowing out in the first week of the play-offs this year. Fonua-Blake would complement their existing front-row rotation including Braden Hamlin-Uele, Toby Rudolf, Royce Hunt and Tom Hazelton.
While the club is banking on further improvement from their crop of current stars, officials have held internal discussions about trumping Fonua-Blake’s early suitors the Tigers, Dragons and Bulldogs.
The Sharks have one big advantage: they are already entrenched as a finals team and can offer Fonua-Blake a chance to go further than the Warriors’ preliminary final appearance this season.
They have cleared salary cap space with the departures of Matt Moylan (Leigh) and Connor Tracey (Bulldogs), allowing them to be a major player in the transfer market for 2025.
Fonua-Blake was named alongside Payne Haas at prop in the Dally M Team of the Year and can command one of the highest salaries for a forward in NRL history after a barnstorming three seasons across the Tasman.
The Warriors have already moved to counter Fonua-Blake’s departure, signing Broncos veteran Kurt Capewell to an immediate switch after Brisbane’s heartbreaking grand final loss.
The club said Fonua-Blake would be required to stay in New Zealand until the end of 2024, but was free to return to Australia after that.
The unexpected entry of Fonua-Blake into the player market added extra spice to the summer, which has been dominated by Jarome Luai’s decision on whether to leave the Panthers.
The five-eighth has received interest from both the Tigers and Bulldogs, but has yet to decide whether to move on from the three-time defending champions Penrith to land a multi-million dollar payday with a Sydney rival.
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.

Still absolutely maintain that you pay off and say "Bugger off, matey!" to any Grumpy Ass Player, no matter how good that player is/was on his good days.
Terrifying how a senior player's shitty attitude and mood can infect and poison an entire team...
After all, as good as AFB was in 2023, surely he had to learn/be trained? I have faith that either we can train another AFB or we can figure our way around a lack of an AFB.

Anyone else find it amazing the Tigers highest player is only on 500k? Their salary cap must be totally out of whack.

Still absolutely maintain that you pay off and say "Bugger off, matey!" to any Grumpy Ass Player, no matter how good that player is/was on his good days.
Terrifying how a senior player's shitty attitude and mood can infect and poison an entire team...
After all, as good as AFB was in 2023, surely he had to learn/be trained? I have faith that either we can train another AFB or we can figure our way around a lack of an AFB.
We can't, not for 2024. Literally no one in our team could step in for AFB, not even for a couple years at least. There's some juniors coming through but they're not going to be ready for that role for some time.